Forum question..

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:43 pm

I too would not want to see moderators here. To me it projects an image of the mebers being recalcitrant maleducati who don't know how to behave. While this is true of another forum I used to frequent, but got fed up with because of the imbecilic tantrums of most of the members - particularly those who actually live as ex-pats in Italy for God's sake :evil: :evil: - there has been absolutely no need here. The recent removal of some idiot who was nothing more than a troll resulted from forum members contacting Mindy, who did the necessary. So grown-up, don't you think!! :) :)

As to stickys I have to admit I don't read them, so I cannot comment. I take Mindy's point that they do tend to take up the room at the head of the threads, so if there were a way of overcoming that - eg a special Sticky area - the that would be fine by me.

giuseppe

Post by giuseppe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:02 pm

She wrote:Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, I think I'll do that. But instead of bothering her into doing the work herself, maybe we should have some kind of vote and elect some of the most helpful members that have been here the longest, and whoever the members vote for can be mod. I think it would speed up the forum instead of waiting and having to depend on the admin for every minor issue.

Just an idea =)
I've always been of the opinion that, unless there are insurmountable difficulties, such as daily flames and an enormous amount of spam, any kind of moderation should be avoided, as it usually encourages members to argue with those moderators who turn out to be more possessive, stubborn and moody. What's more, that undoubtedly diminishes the friendliness of the forum, even when moderators don't forget the difference between moderation and dictatorship (rare event).

That's why impariamo.com, unlike other well known forums, is still a small censorship-free paradise.
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:17 pm

carlo wrote:
I couldn't agree more! This is a small, friendly community where I have never seen things get out of control so I can't see the need for even a single moderator.
In addition Roby does an excellent job by moving posts on grammar/usage to Free Lessons. Actually I'd like to thank her for all that she does for this forum. We all owe her a huge debt of gratitude.
Carlo,

Grazie del complimento , lo apprezzo tanto. :D
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Peter wrote:I too would not want to see moderators here. To me it projects an image of the mebers being recalcitrant maleducati who don't know how to behave. While this is true of another forum I used to frequent, but got fed up with because of the imbecilic tantrums of most of the members - particularly those who actually live as ex-pats in Italy for God's sake :evil: :evil: - there has been absolutely no need here. The recent removal of some idiot who was nothing more than a troll resulted from forum members contacting Mindy, who did the necessary. So grown-up, don't you think!! :) :)

As to stickys I have to admit I don't read them, so I cannot comment. I take Mindy's point that they do tend to take up the room at the head of the threads, so if there were a way of overcoming that - eg a special Sticky area - the that would be fine by me.

Giuseppe wrote:I've always been of the opinion that, unless there are insurmountable difficulties, such as daily flames and an enormous amount of spam, any kind of moderation should be avoided, as it usually encourages members to argue with those moderators who turn out to be more possessive, stubborn and moody. What's more, that undoubtedly diminishes the friendliness of the forum, even when moderators don't forget the difference between moderation and dictatorship (rare event).

That's why impariamo.com, unlike other well known forums, is still a small censorship-free paradise.
Peter and Giuseppe

I like your input and I know that Mindy does as well. As Mindy has said in her post. she and I are working on a few things.

Keep the inputs and suggestions coming, everyone!
Roby

She

Post by She » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:20 pm

I think my suggestion was taken the wrong way.. I didn't mean this forum needed help to control members and posts and such. I just meant that if Mindy is too busy to take care of something, like if we want a thread stickied or something, then maybe there could be just one more person that could do it.

I agree she's done a lot for the forum, and I do like that this is a very small and peaceful community. I do see how the forum has it's own personality, I just simply thought having one more person with the ability to follow requests of some members might save a little trouble for Mindy (or Roby, I'm guessing he is an admin too? I just realized this..).

I agree that too many stickies would definitely look cluttered, after all the majority of threads are right on topic with the board so it would be difficult determining which should be stickied or not. The sub-folders does sound like a really good/organized idea.. I was mainly thinking about the quattro chiacchiere board where it's just general topics. Some threads seem like they'll go on for pages and pages and some seem like they're too fun to lose. I apologize if I implied the forum needed more control.. I'm actually surprised it's composed of such wonderful members :)

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:53 pm

She wrote:I think my suggestion was taken the wrong way.. I didn't mean this forum needed help to control members and posts and such. I just meant that if Mindy is too busy to take care of something, like if we want a thread stickied or something, then maybe there could be just one more person that could do it.

I agree she's done a lot for the forum, and I do like that this is a very small and peaceful community. I do see how the forum has it's own personality, I just simply thought having one more person with the ability to follow requests of some members might save a little trouble for Mindy (or Roby, I'm guessing he is an admin too? I just realized this..).

I agree that too many stickies would definitely look cluttered, after all the majority of threads are right on topic with the board so it would be difficult determining which should be stickied or not. The sub-folders does sound like a really good/organized idea.. I was mainly thinking about the quattro chiacchiere board where it's just general topics. Some threads seem like they'll go on for pages and pages and some seem like they're too fun to lose. I apologize if I implied the forum needed more control.. I'm actually surprised it's composed of such wonderful members :)
I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your valuable input.....this site would not be the great place it is without all of the suggestions and support of our members! I will take all of your ideas into serious consideration, and will make some announcements here in the coming weeks of some site additions and enhancements.

As for the rest of you......have I ever mentioned how awesome I think you all are? :D This community would not be the same without each and every one of you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your participation, ideas, suggestions, and positive encouragement for making this the best place it can be!

Carlo, I agree that Roby is such an amazing asset to our community.....and I feel the same about you as well.

Okay, I'm done with the sentimental bit...... :lol:

Un abbraccio a tutti,

Mindy

DesertCat

Post by DesertCat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:04 am

Count me as another one who would absolutely hate to to see moderation here. I can see where Mindy might eventually need an assistent to remove spam when necessary (if it became out of hand).

I also have experienced boards where there is too much moderation and it creates an unfriendly environment. While I don't post a lot, I do read the posts every day or two and appreciate the friendly positive environment here.

As far as stickies go, the fewer the better...no more than one per board.

Elisa

Post by Elisa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:44 pm

My two cents.

I love this place just as it is. :)

Thanks, Mindy and everybody, for making this forum a friendly community.
Elisa :)

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Mindy wrote:
Carlo, I agree that Roby is such an amazing asset to our community.....and I feel the same about you as well.

Mindy
Thanks Mindy .... I think that all of the members are amazing assets to the community..... Carlo, thanks for all you do as well.
Roby

Rolly

Post by Rolly » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:38 pm

I concur with the reactionists. 8)

This really is the 'Berry Bestest' site (as a certain 2 year old of my acquaintance might say).

All of you deserve great credit for your open acceptance of each other's human diversity and your great good humour. (My 'spell check' says that that should read "humor" but I disagree :roll: ) See what I mean about diversity?

Seriously, though, the only real improvement that I can think of is a "next topic" "previous topic" linking at the bottom of each thread.
Much to grumble about, Eh?

Ciao 4 Nao
---- Ne ammazza più la gola che la spada ------

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Things are fine the way they are I think. I think that the less you tamper with something, the more 'natural' it feels. Otherwise, it becomes too staid or artificial.

The only thing that I would like to see is how the posts are displayed. For example, this thread takes up "two" pages, but I'd prefer just to keep scrolling down since sometimes I want to refer back to something on the first page without having to respond to a post.

But I'm not really fussed either way.

I think that censorship of any kind (except for removing spam) is improper, but that's really a non-issue here.

forumuser

Post by forumuser » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:28 am

Yep, no moderators here, and I hope it stays that way. Power is evil. The delete button can turn the most amiable person into a control freak in minutes. :D

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Despite the vast majority of people saying NO MODS, what have we ended up with? With no explanation.

To say I am not amused is understating the matter. Mindy said, quite clearly, that she would keep us informed. Well, that didn't happen. A whiff of WRF seems to be hanging in the air.

If we are such 'awesome' people, why have our points of view been so roundly ignored?

I just feel this has been severely mishandled and that we deserve an explanation.

Roby

Post by Roby » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Peter I sent you a pm
Roby

Roby

Post by Roby » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:29 pm

I know you are referring to me. Mindy asked me to help her put things together. The only way she could do it was to make me look like a moderator. However, I AM NOT A MODERATOR... The forum is as we all want it...

I hope this explains my status here.
Roby