Forum question..

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Peter
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Horsham, West Sussex, England

Post by Peter »

Sorry, but I remain unimpressed by the way it's been handled. This is not a pop at you, Roby, more at the way we the members - and therefore somewhat more than a little important to the success of Impariamo - have been left out of the loop. We deserve better.
User avatar
keithatengagedthinking
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Post by keithatengagedthinking »

I don't feel underinformed. I think that communication on this site is excellent.

Mindy pays I'm sure out of her own pocket for her web service and this forum so I think that she can do as she pleases. I find that she is receptive to everyone's ideas. I'm sure that she has a lot on her plate working full time, raising children, etc. that she probably does her best to keep everyone up to speed.

I for one enjoy this site immensely and is by far much better than WRF or any other Italian language forum. I hope that things continue as they are.
User avatar
ladybird
Posts: 1526
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Post by ladybird »

Keith, I would normally be in agreement regarding the communication on the site but on an issue as important as this, it failed.
Without a doubt this is the friendliest, most helpful site I have used and the fact that it manages to stay that way without the need for moderation is a tribute to Mindy and the forum members.
When the subject of introducing a moderator was raised it was obvious that we were strongly against the idea, except maybe to deal with Spam.
I must admit to being quite annoyed when the "green" of the moderator came up on Roby's name. I must point out that I would have felt the same whether it was Keith's, Carlo's, Peter's or anybody else's name, it was just the fact that after everything that had been said, we had been ignored...or so it seemed.
Thank you Roby for letting us know what is going on, you have obviously been putting in a lot of work again here recently. You must know that everyone holds your expertise in high regard and values all the input you have given to the forum, it's priceless.
The trouble is your name pops up in "moderator green", nobody said anything to the contrary, therefore the assumption is that you are a moderator.
Easy conclusion to come to, would you agree?
Jsut a couple more points. Mindy has always been friendly, supportive and as you say Keith, receptive to ideas. I'm sure she can indeed do as she pleases but it's a two-way street..I'm sure Mindy would agree that if the forum members weren't as considerate of each others views, she would have a lot more work on her hands.

On that note, I'll echo Keith's sentiments..let leep things as they are :D
Life is for living and learning.
Peter
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Horsham, West Sussex, England

Post by Peter »

Well put, Angie. Communication is a two-way street.

To my mind, to say that she can do as she pleases would be very disappointing, since for me it would place her on the same level as the creep who runs WRF (a petty little Hitler), and I am damned certain Mindy is a far better person than that!! :) :) I agree with Angie - it's a two-way street (sorry to repeat myself) and we are this place's best assets. Mess around with us and in a short space of time there would be no Impariamo.

We all want the same thing, Keith. The continuation of this forum as a happy, relaxed place where like minds can share knowledge, information, laughs and so on. :D :D
User avatar
keithatengagedthinking
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Post by keithatengagedthinking »

I understand everyone's argument, and I agree. I think that they are valid points.

I was just playing devil's advocate. :)

To be honest, I never even noticed Roby's name was green until it was pointed out today. :oops:
She
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Miami, Florida, US
Contact:

Post by She »

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is WRF? Another language forum?
Devery
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:38 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Devery »

She wrote:I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is WRF? Another language forum?
http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Mindy
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Post by Mindy »

Hello to all of my dear friends at Impariamo! Some of you sound a bit distressed, so I wanted to address your concerns here.

As many of you know, this community is very special to me. Yes, I am raising two small children and my family is my joy. I also have a demanding full-time job that I enjoy tremendously. However, I am incredibly proud of the community we have all built here together, and I plan to continue to support this site into the future. I do cover some of the expenses to keep this site going (the revenue from the Google ads helps pay for part of our operating costs), but it is a small cost compared to the satisfaction I get from knowing you are all enjoying the site, learning and improving your Italian skills, and developing friendships with people that you would otherwise not have had the opportunity to get to know.

While I cannot spend as much time here as I once did, I do check in almost daily to see what you are all up to, and make sure things are running smoothly behind the scenes. For example, have you noticed how we don't get those horrible spam posts anymore? That's because of a modification I researched and installed that now requires registrants to jump through one more hoop in order to become a member here. In fact, when we were having all of the spam trouble a few months ago, Roby graciously agreed to be our "spam cop", and I therefore gave her mod rights to delete unwanted posts, which to her credit she has never advertised, and she has never once abused this privilege that ultimately benefits us all. Roby is an incredibly valuable member of this community, and also a dear friend, so please do not misconstrue her username appearing in bold.....it simply means that I have given her the ability to delete posts none of us want to see here on the board. She is a "spam cop", not a "mod", and I apologize to you all for not explaining this distinction.

If you ever have concerns or questions about the site, please send me a Private Message (PM). I will do my best to address any and all inquiries, even if it takes me a few days. I value the contributions you all make here, and recognize that this site would not be the same without each and every one of you.

Un abbraccio forte forte a tutti! :D
Devery
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:38 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Devery »

I really don't know what the big deal is if Roby is a moderator or not. Mindy is simply giving her "access" to delete posts and threads because Mindy does not have the time to babysit this site 24/7.
Now, if Roby is abusing that power then your complaint is valid, if she is not abusing her power, then just because her name is green--in my opinion--should not make her an object of controversy.
The fact that Roby is a "moderator" has not changed the "community" feeling of impariamo IMHPOV. . .
If we go back in time we can see and remember WHY Roby was given this "access." It was because we were receiving spam here left and right and Mindy did not "frequent" the site as much as Roby did. Roby, or us, would have to PM or e-mail Mindy, in turn, we would have to wait for Mindy to check her e-mail or PM, then make the edits. This could be days, no? I would rather see Roby's name in green then to look at T&A on THIS site!!! :shock:
Roby
Posts: 3850
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Post by Roby »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your support on this issue. There was no intention of leaving anyone out of the loop. As Mindy said, I am just helping control spam and assist in some other organizational jobs. I am no different than any of you. The forum has not changed in any way. I am just assisting Mindy.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions as does Mindy.

a big hug
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld
Peter
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Horsham, West Sussex, England

Post by Peter »

Many, many thanks for this explanation, Mindy. It is much appreciated. However, no doubt you will have understood our concerns after the discussion in this thread earlier this year.

I have made it clear that this is not a 'Roby' thing; indeed I would echo your sentiments (and those Angela made yesterday).

Right, let's all move on... :) :)
jade
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:39 pm

Post by jade »

This thread is very educational, especially for a new comer like me. I should say thank you all for involving in this friendly forum. I would like especially to thank Roby, who always very patiently answers each question I have posted here.

By the way, one quesion, when I registered, I was promised to receive a newsletter per month, but I never received any. Does anyone know where I did wrong? Thanks.
giuseppe
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by giuseppe »

She wrote:I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is WRF? Another language forum?
a place that somehow resembles Germany in 1930s...
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.
Peter
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Horsham, West Sussex, England

Post by Peter »

giuseppe wrote:
She wrote:I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is WRF? Another language forum?
a place that somehow resembles Germany in 1930s...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priceless!!
dmj120
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:37 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Post by dmj120 »

Peter wrote:
giuseppe wrote:
She wrote:I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is WRF? Another language forum?
a place that somehow resembles Germany in 1930s...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priceless!!
http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4 -- the mods are a bit over-the-top; deleting threads, telling you to search the forum (even if you did and didn't find what you were looking for)
************************************
Family, dogs, bike, work ----- in that order.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests