Want to become a Translator!!

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
brindge

Want to become a Translator!!

Post by brindge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 am

I am seriously contemplating becoming a translator - Italian to English (or vice versa). I would like to get some formal training in this, and have been looking at some online translation programs. Does anyone here have any experience with being a professional translator? If so, what was your course of study?

Grazie!!!

~Barbara
tesorotreasures.etsy.com

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:09 am

I don't really know a lot about it personally but I've befriended a girl from Torino who is studying to become a translator. I'm pretty sure her course is all focused around translation as opposed to more generally "languages". I can ask what the name of her course is and what the content is like if you want? She's been translating legal documents and patents lately... all sounds very technical :)

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:17 am

I have two friends in other countries who are professional translators. One is italian/english (Italy) and the other one is spanish/english (Chile). Also have a 3rd friend but cannot remember if she is a translator or teacher , spanish/english (Costa Rica). I know two of them studied in United States , english/spanish. I could email them for you.

brindge

Post by brindge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Chris and Machiavelli - thank you for your messages. I would appreciate very much if you could contact your friends and ask them for their experience, and also what courses they took to become translators. I am looking to do a course online since I have a real full time job, and have found a couple that are promising. One of them is WLS in Ireland and the other is Centro culturale internazionale in Italy. I'm afraid that the Italian one is more geared toward native Italian speakers, though. I am fluent in Italian, but my mother tongue is English and I am more proficient in that having studied it at University level. Anyway, if you could ask your friends if they have heard of either one of these programs would be great! Thanks again for your help!!

~Barbara
tesorotreasures.etsy.com