Inspector Montalbano books

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Peter

Inspector Montalbano books

Post by Peter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Ciao a tutti

I've got into Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano novels (in English), and finding them an excellent read, with a fine mix of light (comedy) and dark (some of the subject matter and elements of Montalbano's own character). One thing that is bemusing me, though, and that is how the translator, Stephen Sartorelli, makes the character Catarella sound. It's almost like a form of Italian cockney! "Dere's a poisson ere who wanna see you poissonally in poisson, 'Spector."

How did Camilleri write that in Italian!!! :)

gluca

Post by gluca » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Lo scopo di Camilleri è quello di rendere la parlata del personaggio
che rimane legata all'accento siciliano

Un esempio parlato ;-) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvP_C4GrB80

Un esempio scritto:
"Pronti, dottori? E' lei pirsonalmente di pirsona? Catarella sono. Tilifonò il marito della pìttima dici che così che se lei pirsonalmente lo chiama al Ciolli stasira inverso le dieci". "Grazie. Com'è andato il primo giorno di corso?" "Beni, dottori, beni. Tuto accapii. L'istruttorio si complimentò. Disse così che le pirsone come a mia sono rari."

Ciao
Gianluca

calum

Re: Inspector Montalbano books

Post by calum » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:49 am

Peter wrote:Ciao a tutti

I've got into Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano novels (in English),
Peter,

you've got to get these in Italian. I've read about half a dozen now and they are incredibly good. Catarella's even funnier in Italian.

If you haven't already done so, you can watch old epiodes on the RAI website. That'll give you a better picture of the loveable oaf, Catarella.

regards,
Calum

EDIT to add:Here's the URL to the old episodes... http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/programmi/me ... 3.html?p=0

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks, Calum. That may well be the answer. I certainly am considering getting the DVDs, which of course will be subtitled. Thanks also for the link - I'll have to set it as one of my Favorites.

How did you find the books? Are they reasonably easy to follow? I supppose for someone who ploughed his way through Gamorra and has read Alessandra's contribution to the book on the impact of anglicisms in the Italian language, I should - should - find it OK! :)

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Gianluca, mi spiace non averti risposto di prima, ma il giardinaggio è stato più importante recentemente. Grazie per l'esempio; mi ha fatto ridere molto. :lol: Camilleri veramente è un autore bravissimo.

calum

Post by calum » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Peter wrote:How did you find the books? Are they reasonably easy to follow?
They are reasonably easy, using standard Italian for the most part. You'll come across a few new words but you should be able to work them out from the context.

examples:
acchianare = salire
picciliddro = bambino
narrè (or darrè) = dietro

Others have a fair resemblance to Italian equivalents:
For example:
catafero = cadavere
càvudo = caldo
favuso = falso
accussì = così
arrinescire = riuscire
buttana = puttana
càmmara = camera
cangiare = cambiare
facenna = faccenda
scìnniri = scendere
mogliere = moglie

I found it took only a couple of chapters to tune in and then it was fairly easy. If you're really stuck on any word there's a good dictionary facility on the Andrea Camilleri site at www.vigata.org/dizionario/camilleri_linguaggio.html .

There's a good source of Montalbano DVDs (new) on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/ebay-montalbano . Very reliable.

regards,
Calum