Urbino or Ascoli Piceno

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Timoteo

Urbino or Ascoli Piceno

Post by Timoteo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:57 am

Buongiorno- I would like to know if there are big differences between Urbino and Ascoli Piceno. Of Le Marche, these are two towns I am considering moving to with my family (wife and 2 children) for one year. Apparently Urbino is 1/2 the size of Ascoli Piceno, both don't appear to be heavily touristed, Ascoli Piceno is near mountains and sea, but I've heard the town itself is "gritty". Any light you could shed on either would be splendid. I probably can understand your message if you answer in Italian, so feel free, but English I understand, too. Grazie mile, Timoteo

polideuce

Post by polideuce » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:56 am

Purtroppo non conosco bene nessuna delle due città, se non per fama in merito all'arte ed ai monumenti storici; non ne so abbastanza per poter consigliare l'una o l'altra.

Cresasso

Post by Cresasso » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:10 pm

This is a bit of a remote area.

I have never seen Ascoli Piceno, but have been to and around Urbino many times.

It's inland, in the mountains, not that accessible, and not that near large highways.

Unless you work in leather or some local industry Le Marche is not exactly a happening place. But overall the cost of living is reasonable. If you have a good job lined up (not easy anywhere in Italy, less so even in Le Marche) it should be fine.

Le Marche *IS* beautiful to see and not as stressful as the north as it is less densely populated, but also means you have fewer job opportunity for the career. Rocky, stony, not unlike Toscana or Umbria in its rustic character but more mountanous and arid, with less vegetation and way fewer tourists than those regions. The southern part of Le Marche is more rustic still (but more lacking in job opportunity, higher education for the kids etc). The benefit of the less bustle and hustle is that most of the region does not have the speculative overbuilding of real estate that has plagued the north in recent years (IE, too friggin crowded to breathe).

Realize the nearby Pennabilly area/province of Le Marche of which Urbino is closely related is probably the most happening place of the whole region. It is so happening, and pays so many taxes that they no longer want to belong to Pesaro and want to join Emilia Romagna and start belonging to the Rimini province, from which they feel they can share better their wealth. Voting polls showed >70% of the locals desire to change region (formerly unheard of in Italy), and it finally became legal last year.

So yes, you've picked a good area "to work and raise a family" overall, you have good tastes, just as long as you have a good job lined up already.

For me perhaps the deciding factor would be how long you stay and how old your children are. There is a university in Urbino, which can be a big factor in rendering it desirable, but ascertain yourself that the courses are what your kids want to do. I have a cousin who studied literature at Urbino. He did well, liked it, spoke well of the town. Beware tourists in the historical center during the summer, but at least it's not as bad as say Firenze!

Realize entrance exams for Italian university are held right before school starts but..... the exam is only valid for the school that offers it, and all are given on the same calendar day, which means you can only apply to one school on a given year.

Education was a big factor in the moves that Italians and family members orchestrated. Many a parent's jobs and thus locations were chosen accordingly to what and where their kids could study. Remember mobility and going away to school in Italy is harder than in other countries unless you just plain old decide to go abroad due to limited local opportunity. Getting around in ITaly is also hard due to the mountains, things do take longer if you're not immediately on a highway!

Ember

Re: Urbino or Ascoli Piceno

Post by Ember » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Ciao Timoteo, io sono di Urbino quindi se vuoi delle informazioni, chiedi pure :)
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***