American shows/movies dubbed in Italian

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
soclydeza

Post by soclydeza » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:19 am

does anyone know a site where I can watch American shows/movies dubbed in Italian? Grazie a tutti

Cresasso

Re: American shows/movies dubbed in Italian

Post by Cresasso » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 pm

soclydeza wrote:does anyone know a site where I can watch American shows/movies dubbed in Italian? Grazie a tutti
I am bad with technology and media in that way, so I cannot help.

It's not a bad way to get used to some Italian, but coming from someone who grew up partially in Italy and went back every year, seeing both sides of the ocean, the dubbings are LOUSY.

Most of the voices are flat, don't convey emotion, and make the American program seem very flat and otherwise boring. This is not a complete opinion, maybe I didn't see the best dubbed movies.

One of the best examples I can think of to show how poorly dubs occur is actually a very psychological film that despite less reliance on dialogue to get the point across, still IMHO fell short: The Hand that Rocks the Cradle. Saw it in English, a few years later in Italian, the latter was feeble by comparison.

Maybe you can find Italian dubbed shows or movies w/ English subtitles? You can order DVD's of anything from Italy, but you need to have a code free DVD player. Most DVD's designed to be sold in Italy can be viewed in one of several languages but you can also select subtitles, whereas DVD's bought in the US rarely, if ever have an Italian function. I suggest that instead, though the code free player might cost you.

I am going through this now to try and preserve my children's Italian....

soclydeza

Post by soclydeza » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 am

i dont mind the dubbing, i figured if i know what the lines are in english and i hear them in italian it would help out.

i have netflix and it has that "watch movies right from your computer" option and i actually found a few movies (filmed in italian, so theres no dubbing) that ive been watching and trying to pick up on different things. so for those of you who have netflix (or an equivalent), i think its a great way to assist in learning.

i also figured out that i can visit yahoo.it, it has everything in italian. the only problem is that they speak reeeeaaaally fast in the news videos and i can't make anything out lol.

if any of you have any other ideas for sites and videos and such i would love to hear them. thanks again for everyones help

Gail Brown

Post by Gail Brown » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Here's a great website I recently found out about thanks to Melissa Muldoon and her blog Diario di una studentessa matta.

http://italia-film.com/

You will find a long list of TV shows (Glee and Mad Men) and movies (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Uomini che odiano le donne), both American and Italian, most dubbed, some subtitled. Read the "How Use" page first.

There are tons of Italian TV shows to watch on the RAI website.

http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/homeTv.html

Have fun watching!

ironman9779

Movies dubbed in Italian.

Post by ironman9779 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:02 am

You can find American movies dubbed in Italian on Youtube. I am not sure if posting links is allowed, so I'm not going to post any. Just do some searches on that website.

You could also buy DVDs imported from Italy on Amazon. The prices are a little inflated though.