Places to listen to intermediate Italian

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Reeven

Places to listen to intermediate Italian

Post by Reeven » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm a lower-level intermediate student trying to improve my listening skills, but all the videos I can find (I either use google.it or the videos linked on youtube.it) use language that is too often too difficult or are speaking too quickly. Is there anywhere where I can find videos of people speaking at a level that might be more forgiving for someone still learning the language? Thanks!

BillyShears

Post by BillyShears » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Reeven,

This discussion <click here> might help.

BS
Impariamo.com has a Facebook page < https://www.facebook.com/impariamo.com >

Chi domanda non fa errori.

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Try watching some (maybe kids') movies that you already know the plot of. The association between what's happening visually on the screen and what you're hearing really helps the comprehension. Often you'll digest what you heard *after* seconds you heard it based on the action on screen. Listening without the visual queues is *really* hard at first and you may be able to absorb things more quickly with a little visual help. This is why telephone conversations in a second language are particularly tricky... even for native speakers phone conversations can be less than straightforward at times ;)

There are lots of good suggestions on that linked thread too. Another thing I can suggest from experience is (if you're able to), listen to Italian radio while you're doing other things, such as working. Even if you're not focused on the radio, it helps your ears to become familiar with the sounds in the Italian language (and many commonly used expressions) over time.

Pacentro08

Post by Pacentro08 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Can you access the RAI TV website? I'd give you the link, but it's not working for me today (!). There are all sorts of programmes and clips on there that you can replay as often as you need to. Some of the news ones, you will already know the content of from an English version, perhaps. They always tell you how long the transmission is.

I'm very fond of Un medico in famiglia which is a bit like a soap, but better quality in my opinion. It might take you a bit to get into but at my last check they had it from series 1 on the web and you can get used to the way they speak over the episodes. Might be easier in the long run than a one-off film.

For short clips, I'd try typing in a subject that interests you and seeing what's on YouTube. For example, try Christmas celebrations in Italy and see what comes up. I did the same for Easter and found lots - some very funny ones too!

In bocca al lupo
Pacentro08

Reeven

Post by Reeven » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks for the help guys, I've been looking through that linked thread and found some really helpful stuff. I actually had been looking for Italian children's programs but was unsuccessful. Are there any on that RAI TV website, or do any of you know where I might find some? I agree that having the visual clues is often very helpful. Thanks!

Pacentro08

Post by Pacentro08 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Try searching for RAI Educational, and I know they do a language course somewhere on the site. I'll have a look and post when I find it. As I've said before, the RAI site seems to be different every time I look at it!

Salutoni
Pacentro08

Pacentro08

Post by Pacentro08 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:38 am

Hello again

Found the link to the RAI Educational programme I was talking about. Haven't checked it though.

http://www.educational.rai.it/ioparloitaliano/corso.htm

Also found this one this morning when I was searching for the Impariamo site on a different PC. Could be just what you're looking for!

http://learn-italian.blogspot.com/

Buon divertimento

Reeven

Post by Reeven » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:36 pm

Those both look like they'll be helpful down the line, thanks! I'll have to do some translating on them, but they'll be very good for me.