Cheap Italian Christmas Gifts for a meetup group?

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Chris Corbyn

Cheap Italian Christmas Gifts for a meetup group?

Post by Chris Corbyn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm one of the organizers for our local Melbourne Italian meetup group and have scheduled a meetup for 22nd December, intended to be a sort of Christmas drinks. I'd like to bring along something a bit festive and the first thing that came to mind was Christmas Crackers (or Bon-bons, depending on where you're from), but it occurred to me that this probably wouldn't be the most Italian thing to do. So I come here to ask, what would people suggest I bring along? It will need to be cheap as the meetup is free, so this will be coming out of my own pocket, for around 20-30 people.

Unfortunately, most food items will probably not be permitted as the meetup is scheduled at a bar that serves food. I can check with the bar for an exact policy however :)

Grazie ragazzi!

Ember

Post by Ember » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Maybe they'll let you take panettone or pandoro, to serve with some sweet wine or prosecco :)

*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Oh, that would be nice! :) I'll have to speak to the venue and find out, thanks!

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

What about torrone ??
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:54 am

Luca84 wrote:What about torrone ??
I like this idea. I'd certainly be able to take it into a bar as it's basically just confectionary. Sounds like it would be a challenge to make, although reading Panettone recipes that sounds like it's a recipe that you need to make over several days.
Nonna Maria's Torrone Recipe wrote:Torrone is the Italian word for nougat but my grandmother's version is not the snowy white version you are probably most familiar with. This one is made mostly of almonds and sugar, and is caramel brown in colour. To make it you must have the strength of 21 men, four oxen and three donkeys. Your hands must be capable of withstanding nuclear plant meltdown levels of heat. Or you must be my 84-year-old grandmother. She makes it, and has always made it, by herself. True, these days, she lets me or my mother occasionally have a turn at stirring it, but she waits impatiently as you try to churn the spoon, her eagle eyes watching for any sign of fatigue. It doesn't take long - and as soon as you pause, she's taken the spoon and is back at it again, and you're left wondering why you're standing exhausted while a woman four times your age, and a quarter of your size, is moving nearly 2 kilos of sticky, heavy sugar and almonds.
I love the image this conjures up :)

BillyShears

Post by BillyShears » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 am

Chris,

Here's an idea for a Neapolitan treat struffoli and/or maybe you can buy some pizzelle.

BS
Impariamo.com has a Facebook page < https://www.facebook.com/impariamo.com >

Chi domanda non fa errori.