Use of textspeak

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Peter

Use of textspeak

Post by Peter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Ciao a tutti

As Mindy said in her message the other day, the great thing about how this forum has evolved is that there have been no set rules, and apart from the very sensible rule that she introduced via that message long may this be the case.

However, I don't think I am the only one who gets a little annoyed - well, more than a little to tell the truth! - at the use of textspeak. To be honest, I do not think it is appropriate on a language forum since I believe we should be using language, be it Italian or English, properly. So, although it is in no way a rule, can I ask people to NOT use textspeak. Grazie a tutti. :D

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Sono d'accordo Peter. :)

I am totally against the implementation of unnecessary rules and regulations but if I see Textspeak here on Impariamo I shall be doing this Image, closely followed by this. Image

Seriously, Textspeak should be kept for mobile phones or MSN, not a language learning forum. Even if we are easy going. :wink: :D

PS. For those that may think I am a moany old so and so, my five (adult) children persist in sending me messages using textspeak..I can't understand half of them. ! :roll:
Life is for living and learning.

Davide

Post by Davide » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I agree - I have already made my opinions regarding textspeak in contexts such as forums clear. In my mind it is a symptom of laziness and lack of consideration - it may be okay for use on mobile phones (at a pinch) but it has no place in a language forum.

Davide

Please identify yourself first before you add me.

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 pm

I totally agree with you all. And as a matter of fact I find that sort of language very bad on mobile phones too. Young people are going back to some sort of illiteracy because of that. I heard that they even write their essays at school using it. And after all (I hope Peter and David will forgive my one and only use of textspeak) there is a big difference between reading TI VOGLIO BENE and TVB! Do you agree?
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

Davide

Post by Davide » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Massimo - I couldn't agree more - this is the problem with text speak - it's finding it's way into all other forms of writing. Whenever I read my niece's facebook entries I can barely make head or tail of them because they're written in this bastardisation of the language. Personally, I write all my mobile text messages in full English - I can't bring myself to adopt this lazy way of communicating.

Davide

jade

Post by jade » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:58 am

May I say something different? I agree that textspeak is not a formal way to write. However, I disagree that people use it because they are lazy. The textspeak was originally used due to the space limitation. People were only allowed to use fewer than 100 letters (maybe fewer) on their mobile phones so they had to do something more efficiently to send the messages out. Right now you can use more letters, but a lot of people are used to certain expressions so they are continuing using them. The textspeak is confusing for those who don’t use it all the time, but for those who use it frequently, it is not a problem. I think we can ask people try not to use it on this forum and ask them to write the complete sentences if we don’t understand, but I don’t think we should be very harsh on those who use it. After all, it is a way to communicate, especially among the young people. In a sense, it might be a trend in the future, no matter we like it or not.

P.S. what I say here does not mean that I know textspeak well. I only know 5% of English textspeak and 0% of Italian.

Nuna

Post by Nuna » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 am

I agree wholeheartedly. I've always abhorred the use of text speak. Half the time I can't even understand it. It may as well be a foreign language in itself. I've always viewed it was the user being too lazy to type out full words. Especially on a language based forums I think it makes more sense to foster the use of language in a grammatically correct fashion.

umberto

Post by umberto » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 am

I absolutely agree with Davide: you may use textspeak on mobile, but not in a forum that people have joined to learn the language, sometimes starting over. I fear that someone, by using textspeak, has forgotten how to write correctly. A boy who used to work for my company asked me once how to write “anch’io”, since he had always written it “ankio”: he did know it was the wrong spelling, but he had no idea which was the right one!!

Nuna

Post by Nuna » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 am

I can't imagine writing something the wrong way purposefully for so long that I forget how to do so properly. There's also the fact that that the majority of phones have full keyboards now, so there's even less reason to feel the need to take shortcuts.

I also come from the generation where text speak is most common, and have always found it to be an unneccesary annoying trend.

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

E' vero! tt ke usano qst scrittura sms ke poi nn s capisce nnt!! :P :P

Scherzo ragazzi, sono d'accordo anche io : si dovrebbe evitare l'utilizzo della scrittura "cifrata".

In primis perchè come ha detto anche Umberto, alla lunga ( per i neofiti ovviamente...o per chi non ha mai masticato bene la grammatica della propria lingua) si può perdere la conoscenza dell'esatto modo di scrivere.

In secundis perchè è una mancanza di rispetto nei confronti dei destinatari del messaggio scritto. Infatti, nessuno deve stare li a scervellarsi per decifrare quel messaggio ! La tastiera del computer ha tutte le lettere, e digitare tutte le lettere per una parola non crea nessuna perdita di tempo.

Il mio motto è questo :

No chatspeak , Si "regularspeak" ;)

( chatspeak e textspeak..è lo stesso?)
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Davide

Post by Davide » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:34 pm

E' vero! tt ke usano qst scrittura sms ke poi nn s capisce nnt!!

I know Luca was joking with this example, but doesn't it just highlight how UGLY textspeak is - in the case of Italian, it takes away everything that is characteristic about the language - those lovely vowels.

I'm going to shut up about this now, because it doesn't do my blood pressure any good :D :D

Davide

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Davide wrote:
I'm going to shut up about this now, because it doesn't do my blood pressure any good :D :D
Hahahaha come on, relax, take it easy! :P
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!