LOL - it's official

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Davide

LOL - it's official

Post by Davide » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:48 am

LOL is now officially part of the English Language:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416

Probably the equivalent of a smiley icon, the abbreviation LOL has now been accepted by no less than the Oxford English Dictionary.

Please identify yourself first before you add me.

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 pm

hehehe that's funny ;)
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Berenice

Post by Berenice » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:57 am

Lol!! Haha That is too funny.

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:22 am

I must admit I say lol occasionally, but rarely write it. Why on earth it has been accepted I will never understand, though. It annoys me SO much that people can't speak their own blasted language properly.

Honestly, I do not like the English language all that much, hence I learn Italian and want to learn other languages after I am done with school. Also, I am really upset that English is not taught properly to English-speaking children. I learn more English in my Italian lesson than I do in my English one!! :x
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 pm

coffeecup wrote:I learn more English in my Italian lesson than I do in my English one!! :x
I agree with this. I've learnt more about English through learning other languages than I ever learnt at school. We were never taught about different types of verbs etc. I think the extent of the grammar we learnt was when to use capital letters, when to use a full-stop, a comma, an apostrophe etc. And we vaguely touched on the definitions of nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs, but not different types thereof.

It seems like, generally, Italians and Spanish know more about their own grammar than most English people know about English grammar.

I actually think I should buy a book and study English like I would a foreign language ;) I've tried to explain English to Spanish people, then had Spanish people explain it to me in even more detail than I could have done. It's shocking :lol: I even once had an Italian correct my own English, not even realising that what I had said was considered wrong ("I love to dance" vs "I love dancing").

I rarely use LOL. I think it's overused.

Davide

Post by Davide » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Chris Corbyn wrote:
coffeecup wrote:I learn more English in my Italian lesson than I do in my English one!! :x
I agree with this. I've learnt more about English through learning other languages than I ever learnt at school. We were never taught about different types of verbs etc. I think the extent of the grammar we learnt was when to use capital letters, when to use a full-stop, a comma, an apostrophe etc. And we vaguely touched on the definitions of nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs, but not different types thereof.

It seems like, generally, Italians and Spanish know more about their own grammar than most English people know about English grammar.

I actually think I should buy a book and study English like I would a foreign language ;) I've tried to explain English to Spanish people, then had Spanish people explain it to me in even more detail than I could have done. It's shocking :lol: I even once had an Italian correct my own English, not even realising that what I had said was considered wrong ("I love to dance" vs "I love dancing").

I rarely use LOL. I think it's overused.
Ah but here we have the problem of people getting TOO stuck on grammar - remember grammar DESCRIBES, it doesn't PRESCRIBE what is and isn't wrong. In fact,, both 'I love to dance' and 'I love dancing' are equally acceptable, in the same way as 'I love to listen to the radio' and 'I love listening to the radio' are.

Davide

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 am

Chris Corbyn wrote:I think the extent of the grammar we learnt was when to use capital letters, when to use a full-stop, a comma, an apostrophe etc.
:evil: IF I HAD A DOLLAR EVERYTIME I SAW SOMEONE MISUSING AN APOSTROPHE I COULD RETIRE AND I AM NOT EVEN 20!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Davide

Post by Davide » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:04 am

Coffeecup - I agree even though it may seem contradictory to my last post. It does seem that standards have definitely dropped. People confuse its and it's, there and their and, yes i and I.

When I was at school we actually had handwriting lessons to teach us how to write the cursive script - I wonder how many schools do that these days!

Davide

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am

Davide wrote:People confuse its and it's, there and their and, yes i and I.
I could go on for literally HOURS about this!!

And as for handwriting, I remember being taught in primary school, but never really paying attention (my, how I've changed! I also hated Italian in primary school!! :roll: ). My year 8 class once had an entire English class devoted to handwriting, and I paid a lot of attention then, because my writing was terrible, and now it's lovely and cursive. Howeverwhen I write too fast, only I can read it!! 8)

Emma Reese

Post by Emma Reese » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

They've stopped teaching cursive in American public schools. So when I send cards to my nephew, I have to use block letters or he can't read them. My children were homeschooled and they've learned cursive since it was in the curriculum. I learned cursive too in my English class in Japan ages ago. It's a shame not to teach the children this important element.

Emma Reese

Post by Emma Reese » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 pm

They've stopped teaching cursive in American public schools. So when I send cards to my nephew, I have to use block letters or he can't read them. My children were homeschooled and they've learned cursive since it was in the curriculum. I learned cursive too in my English class in Japan ages ago. It's a shame not to teach the children this important element.

stefano2

Post by stefano2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 am

Hello everyone Ive always thought the thing about the english language was its flexability so what if lol is in the dectionary it must be being used and if it is at least people can look up what it means! yea there will be mistakes here too........
Inglese più difettoso italiano difettoso