Use of Italian outside of Italy

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Massimo

Post by Massimo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:36 am

Quoting Wikpedia, I can tell you that outside Italy (and with that I include San Marino and the Vatican), is spoken by minorities in Malta, Monaco, Croatia, Slovenia, France, Libya and Eritrea, and by immigrant communities in the Americas and Australia.In Switzerland, Italian is one of four official languages, spoken mainly in the Swiss cantons of Grigioni and Ticino. It is co-official in Slovenian Istria and in part of the Istria County in Croatia.
And that's the "technical" data. As I wrote in my website (https://sites.google.com/site/panoramai ... dy-italian),most people choose to study Italian out of love rather than out of reason.
Hope your friend has a go anyway! :D
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

Pietru

Post by Pietru » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:26 pm

An interesting fact about the use of Italian in Malta, is that there is an increase in fluency since Italian was removed from being one of the official languages.

Italian is now spoken by 66% of Maltese, as opposed to 36% in 1995.

When Italian was an official language of Malta prior to the 1930s, it was spoken by 14% of the population

umberto

Post by umberto » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Italian isn’t useful at all. Then again, in the world there are over 6.000 languages: excluding English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Russian and maybe German and Portuguese, all the rest are minor languages. There are Italian communities all over the world. In my opinion the most important one is in Toronto, where Italian has become more popular than French thanks to a richer and more cultured new generation of immigrants. I know there’s a large community in Melbourne as well, but I don’t know much about it…

Davide

Post by Davide » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Usefulness?

It's vast literature
It's music both popular and classical (opera)
It's wonderful films which frequently are nominated for, and win, major cinematic awards.
The ability to talk to native Italian speakers.

That's four good reasons just off the top of my hat.

Davide

Please identify yourself first before you add me.

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Bravo Davide!!! You got it all!
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:57 am

I seem to run into Italians everywhere. There are a lot of them in Melbourne. I forget the statistic, but it's something along the lines of there are more Italians in Melbourne than anywhere else outside of Italy.

Chris Corbyn

Post by Chris Corbyn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:01 am

That said, from my point of view, it's not about how useful the language is, but how much enjoyment you get from learning it. Italian has to be, in my eyes, the most beautiful language in the world. People learn languages for different reasons. If you're going for the largest audience, then Italian isn't the language to learn. Italian culture has had a massive impact on the western world though. And English and Italian have a lot in common, so you might find that by learning Italian you actually improve your English vocabulary.

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 am

Se si vuole girare il mondo e portare con se una lingua comune, non c'è miglior lingua dell'inglese.
Con l'inglese si va dai poli all'equatore e si troverà sempre qualcuno in grado perlomeno di "masticare" un pochino di inglese.

Se fossi straniero, probabilmente imparerei anche io l'italiano.
E' una lingua diciamo "artistica" e la 4 ragioni che ha elencato Davide sono più che buone per orientarsi su questa.

Anzi....sarei indeciso tra italiano e spagnolo....Sono un tipo molto pratico, e lo spagnolo rispetto all'italiano ha molta più diffusione (basti pensare all'america, dal mexico in giù),quindi mi sarebbe più utile dell'italiano....

Insomma se fossi straniero imparerei lo spagnolo e poi l'italiano.

( non ho optato per le lingue orientali in quanto dovrei poi imparare un nuovo alfabeto )
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Emma Reese

Post by Emma Reese » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:06 pm

If practicality is the main reason to learn another language, I should learn Spanish since there are lots of Mexicans in this town and it'll come in quite handy. Spanish however, doesn't appeal to me at all (no offense to those who are learning it or have learned it.)

I've started learning Italian a few month ago for a couple of insignificant reasons, but once I've started, I'm charmed by this beautiful language and want to keep on learning it (despite the incredible difficulty of the grammar.) And I'm thankful for the internet!

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 am

If anything, Italian would help you get a foot in the door to practically all the romantic languages.

I have never studied french (and don't plan on it because I just don't get the pronunciation :shock: ) but I can look at a passage in French and understand to quite some degree what it is saying, and the same goes for Spanish. I haven't run into much Portugese, so I can't really vouch for it there, but I imagine it wouldn't be much different.
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.