Learning Italian!

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Sweetcheeks Malone

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone »

coffeecup wrote:E abbiamo appena finito i nostri studi su "io non ho paura". Abbiamo letto il libro in classe e poi abbiamo visto il film.... all'inizio, quando vediamo Filippo per la prima volta, tutta la mia classe ha urlato così forte!! Anch'io avevo paura di Filippo!! Embarassed E tu? Che schifo...

Ma è davvero un bel film. (però, mi piace il libro più)
I didn't know there was a book of it. Makes sense I suppose. :P Are there any big differences between the book and the film?

Peter wrote:Amy, I can assure you that the various Mafia gangs are nothing like the street gangs of this country. Indeed I would not call any of the four different sets of mafiosi street gangs; they are much, much more than that, with power that reaches way beyond Italy's borders. Read Gamorra and you will see just how evil the Camorra is. I read the Italian version, and while I did not understand all of it, I understood enough to make my blood run cold. It is difficult sometimes to appreciate just how evil some people can be.
I mentioned that I was learning about 'the dark side of Italy' to my teacher and she agrees with you. She goes so far as to say never mention the Mafia unless you know exactly who you're talking to. I hadn't even mentioned the word. :shock: Unsettling how one can go through life without understanding how far reaching things can be.
Pietru wrote:I am actually bilingual, with some knowledge of a few other languages. Were I to have completed my schooling in Malta, I may have had an option of learning Russian as a 5th language.

Virtually all of the Italian stations available in Malta. Malta is within the transmitter range of most Italian television stations.
Did you find that watching the Italian channels were a great help?
Davide

Post by Davide »

I completely agree with Peter. The Mafia, Camorra and n'drangheta bear no resemblance to gangs in the UK (who would probably wet their pants if they came up against the Mafia) I can only describe the Italian Mafia as some sort of insidious virus that weaves its way into almost every aspect of life, social, political and economic. Like Peter, I've read Gomorrah and seen the film. The word 'chilling' doesn't begin to describe it.

Davide

Please identify yourself first before you add me.
Sweetcheeks Malone

Davide wrote:I completely agree with Peter. The Mafia, Camorra and n'drangheta bear no resemblance to gangs in the UK (who would probably wet their pants if they came up against the Mafia) I can only describe the Italian Mafia as some sort of insidious virus that weaves its way into almost every aspect of life, social, political and economic. Like Peter, I've read Gomorrah and seen the film. The word 'chilling' doesn't begin to describe it.

Davide

Does sound terribly insidious, almost as if certain structures would fall apart if it were to suddenly disappear. Do you feel, after reading about it, that television and film have simplified and glamourised the idea of The Mafia? And am I talking about it too much? :oops: :shock:
Davide

Post by Davide »

I certainly don't think they've glamorised it. If any series of films are guilty of that, it's the @Godfather' trilogy (as entertaining as they are).

I have also read a book called 'Excellent Cadavers' which is a factual book dealing with attempts to bring the Mafia to justice. It's a depressing read when you come to realise just how much political collusion there is in the Mafia - too many people in positions of power have too much to lose to REALLY make a concerted effort to halt the Mafia. And in one sense, it's true that there are some aspects of Italian life that WOULD crumble without the Mafia - and this is the fault of the impotence of Italian politicians in failing to provide the services that they should - and it appears that the Mafia fills the 'gap' - unfortunately.

Please identify yourself first before you add me.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Sweetcheeks Malone wrote:
coffeecup wrote:E abbiamo appena finito i nostri studi su "io non ho paura". Abbiamo letto il libro in classe e poi abbiamo visto il film.... all'inizio, quando vediamo Filippo per la prima volta, tutta la mia classe ha urlato così forte!! Anch'io avevo paura di Filippo!! Embarassed E tu? Che schifo...

Ma è davvero un bel film. (però, mi piace il libro più)
I didn't know there was a book of it. Makes sense I suppose. :P Are there any big differences between the book and the film?
There are always differences!! Yeah, the last scene lacks the owl, and it wasn't how I imagined it, and there are a few little jumps and omitted scenes, but overall it was pretty true to the novel.

It's by niccolo ammaniti, if you wanted to chase it up and read it. :D
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.
Sweetcheeks Malone

Davide wrote:And in one sense, it's true that there are some aspects of Italian life that WOULD crumble without the Mafia - and this is the fault of the impotence of Italian politicians in failing to provide the services that they should - and it appears that the Mafia fills the 'gap' - unfortunately.
Would you say that there was a danger of this type of thing happening in other countries (where it hasn't already, that is)?

coffeecup wrote:There are always differences!! Yeah, the last scene lacks the owl, and it wasn't how I imagined it, and there are a few little jumps and omitted scenes, but overall it was pretty true to the novel.

It's by niccolo ammaniti, if you wanted to chase it up and read it. :D
I always prefer it when a book and film are closely related. :) Maybe I should chase it up when I know a bit more Italian though. :P
Peter

Post by Peter »

Davide wrote:And in one sense, it's true that there are some aspects of Italian life that WOULD crumble without the Mafia - and this is the fault of the impotence of Italian politicians in failing to provide the services that they should - and it appears that the Mafia fills the 'gap' - unfortunately.
Would you say that there was a danger of this type of thing happening in other countries (where it hasn't already, that is)?
Well, many countries already have their own form of Mafia, the Russian one being possibly the most notable - and of course there's The Mob (Cosa Nostra) that initialy operated out of Chicago (Al Capone etc). If there is any organised crime syndicate in any country where the political will is weak to non-existent then that syndicate will take advantage of the vacuum, for it knows it can act virtually with impunity. :(
Pietru

Post by Pietru »

Sweetcheeks Malone wrote:Did you find that watching the Italian channels were a great help?
Absolutely. It is important, however, to enjoy watching the programmes you choose to watch. If you don't feel a connection with a programme, it can be incredibly tedious.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

hehe I remember when I went to Italy and stayed with a host family, I was watching the simpsons and the voices were (in hindsigh, blatantly obviously) different. :D
Sweetcheeks Malone

Peter wrote:Well, many countries already have their own form of Mafia, the Russian one being possibly the most notable - and of course there's The Mob (Cosa Nostra) that initialy operated out of Chicago (Al Capone etc). If there is any organised crime syndicate in any country where the political will is weak to non-existent then that syndicate will take advantage of the vacuum, for it knows it can act virtually with impunity. :(
Would you say that our political will is weakening to such a point? Afterall, everything seems to be going downhill.

Pietru wrote:Absolutely. It is important, however, to enjoy watching the programmes you choose to watch. If you don't feel a connection with a programme, it can be incredibly tedious.
I can get some Italian tv and radio online so I'll have to try to find myself a decent soap opera! :P Our teacher mentioned RAI to us last night. Did you see anything from that/those channel/s?

coffeecup wrote:hehe I remember when I went to Italy and stayed with a host family, I was watching the simpsons and the voices were (in hindsigh, blatantly obviously) different. :D
I noticed that when in Spain many years ago. :D They were so high pitched! Where did you stay? What was it like?

I've just picked up Collins Easy Learning Italian Grammar. Can anyone account for the quality of this book?
blanchekz

Post by blanchekz »

Ciao Amy :)

I've seen many movies but unfortunately I can't recall all the names :) I will have to ask my boyfriend :D I remember some of them, though. So for instance I really liked La meglio gioventù (The Best of Youth) which is a four-part miniseries, then Maschi contro femmine - it's a hilarious comedy about men and women :D Then I saw Mediterraneo, Benvenuti al Sud, Non pensarci...
I also watch series and serials: Tutti pazzi per amore :D, Il peccato e la vergogna, Elisa di Rivombrosa, Il Capitano :) They aren't very intellecutal which makes them easy to follow and understand :)
Sweetcheeks Malone

blanchekz wrote:Ciao Amy :)

I've seen many movies but unfortunately I can't recall all the names :) I will have to ask my boyfriend :D I remember some of them, though. So for instance I really liked La meglio gioventù (The Best of Youth) which is a four-part miniseries, then Maschi contro femmine - it's a hilarious comedy about men and women :D Then I saw Mediterraneo, Benvenuti al Sud, Non pensarci...
I also watch series and serials: Tutti pazzi per amore :D, Il peccato e la vergogna, Elisa di Rivombrosa, Il Capitano :) They aren't very intellecutal which makes them easy to follow and understand :)
Ciao.. blanchekz! :P Mi piacciono i fiori nella tua foto! If that's right. :oops: What would you use to mean forum avatar? I apologise for my pigeon Italian, I'm trying to use bits where I can. :P I'm only a beginner really.

I'll have to look for those! I tried a little Italian tv last night and it looked rather on the corny side. One guy who I suspect was a gangster randomly started shooting the swimming pool. :shock: :P
Pietru

Post by Pietru »

I can get some Italian tv and radio online so I'll have to try to find myself a decent soap opera! :P Our teacher mentioned RAI to us last night. Did you see anything from that/those channel/s?
I can't recall, but there was always something to watch on there. I was young when I used to watch Italian tv and tended to see Canale 5, which seemed to mainly have women in their 20s wearing swimming costumes. Ideal for an adolescent :D
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

coffeecup wrote:hehe I remember when I went to Italy and stayed with a host family, I was watching the simpsons and the voices were (in hindsight, blatantly obviously) different. :D
I noticed that when in Spain many years ago. :D They were so high pitched! Where did you stay? What was it like?
I was in Treviso when I saw that; that's where our host families were and we stayed for a week. It was a great experience, and I still occasionally talk to my host sister. :D I loved it and want to go back, haha, on the road again..... :D :D
Peter

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote:Well, many countries already have their own form of Mafia, the Russian one being possibly the most notable - and of course there's The Mob (Cosa Nostra) that initialy operated out of Chicago (Al Capone etc). If there is any organised crime syndicate in any country where the political will is weak to non-existent then that syndicate will take advantage of the vacuum, for it knows it can act virtually with impunity. :(
Would you say that our political will is weakening to such a point? Afterall, everything seems to be going downhill.
Certainly under the last government (for want of a better word) we were definitely heading that way, and unfortunately we still seem to be meandering down that path, mainly thanks to some idiot judges who seem to make judgements based on Human Rights legislation. Things are not going to change until there has been a complete overhaul of such legislation so that victims are placed at the centre of it.