For Martin Richard

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Quintus

For Martin Richard

Post by Quintus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 am

I've seen everything, the people running, the blood, the desperation of survivors near the places where the bombs went off. And the explosions themselves. And that kid, Martin Richard. I cannot help seeing his face from time to time while
working today. He was there, in the middle of the crowd, waiting for his father to finish his race.
God that kid that kid.

Quintus

-

Peter

Re: For Martin Richard

Post by Peter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am

I know, Franco, I know; headline in this morning's Daily Telegraph: The family ripped apart by Boston marathon bombing.

It was truly appalling, what happened, and what is, or must be, of concern is that no-one yet has come forward to claim responsibility for this outrage. What should have been a joyous sporting occasion became a scene of terror. So, who was to blame? Al Qaeda? Some other radical jihadist group? One of the numerous white supremacist gangs of neanderthal slimebags? Who knows.

What is clear is that it has made our security services here in the UK even more vigilant over today's funeral of Lady Thatcher and also over next Sunday's London marathon. God knows, we don't want a repeat of what happened in Boston.

And may God bless little Martin.

calum
Site Owner

Post by calum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 am

I echo the sentiments you have both expressed. It was a cowardly act to target civillian families with no means of defence.

I doubt that this is foreign terrorism from the usual suspects, it looks more like a domestic attack by someone with a grudge, another Timothy McVeigh perhaps.

From my admittedly scant awareness of such things, and from footage shown on TV, it appears to have been low explosive that was used rather than high explosive, the smoke plume being white indicates this; high explosive produces a black cloud as it burns its contents much more efficiently. Organised terrorist groups such as AQ can put together much more effective (from their point of view) devices and attacks.

I'm confident the authorities will trace the person(s) responsible, at which point he/they will be lucky not to be lynched.

Calum

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I don't care about the motives or the affiliation of scums like those butchers.
I personally think that they did an evil and obnoxious act, that can be explained only by a deep desire to cause harm and suffering. In my opinion they simply have a dead soul and a wicked desire to cause evil. I don't see any other possible explantion apart from excuses. Revolting.

Sorry for the strong words. I too felt really bad for what happened. :(
I would be very grateful, if you could please correct my English.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:36 pm

caro Alessandro, you do not have to apologise in any way at all. What you wrote is nothing compared to the language I would like to use!!

calum
Site Owner

Post by calum » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 am

Please beware of emails from unknown senders with the subject line of : "Explosion at the Boston Marathon". Spammers are exploiting this attack to lure you to clicking on a link to see videos or photos. The link will in fact load malware onto your PC. Further information available at https://isc.sans.edu/

I've had two of these already.

Calum

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Mi mancan le parole.... che grandi pezzi di merda :evil:

Davide

Post by Davide » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:42 am

It certainly WAS horrific. However, without belittling this event, I think it should be put into perspective. In 2011, there were 32,163 deaths resulting from gun crime (that's up from 28,874 in 1999). Do we hear cries of outrage from the masses over that? No - indeed, people only reiterate their right to 'bear arms'. I have seen many quotes from Americans stating that they 'feel safer' knowing that they have a gun in the home. This is a sick indictment on American society. To add to this, in spite of the terrible school massacres that we have seen recently, Congress has blocked legislation (already really watered down) to widen background checks on those wishing to own guns. I ask myself, who is in charge of that country - the government, or the National Rifle Association?

As I said, the bombing in Boston was awful and I don't make little of it, but it seems to me that America needs to look to its own house regardless of whether this bombing was terrorist in origin or an example of another dysfunctional citizen.

Please identify yourself first before you add me.

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Davide wrote:It certainly WAS horrific. However, without belittling this event, I think it should be put into perspective. In 2011, there were 32,163 deaths resulting from gun crime (that's up from 28,874 in 1999). Do we hear cries of outrage from the masses over that? No - indeed, people only reiterate their right to 'bear arms'. I have seen many quotes from Americans stating that they 'feel safer' knowing that they have a gun in the home. This is a sick indictment on American society. To add to this, in spite of the terrible school massacres that we have seen recently, Congress has blocked legislation (already really watered down) to widen background checks on those wishing to own guns. I ask myself, who is in charge of that country - the government, or the National Rifle Association?

As I said, the bombing in Boston was awful and I don't make little of it, but it seems to me that America needs to look to its own house regardless of whether this bombing was terrorist in origin or an example of another dysfunctional citizen.
I agree with a lot of what you have said, Davide, and it has increasingly appeared from this side of the pond that the gun-lobby seems to consider the Second Amendment (the right to bear arms) to be more important than the First Amendment (the right to freedom of speech). That much was evident from that Piers Morgan show. I don't particularly like that guy, but I thought his behaviour in the face of such a vicious tirade by that 'merchant banker' was first-class, and made the prat look a bigger one than he already was! However...

I do think we need to differentiate what happened in Boston to all the other atrocities, particularly in view of the fact that the two scum who committed this abomination were not American. They therefore had no concern for the American Constitution, although it certainly can be argued that, as seems to be the case with many in the gun lobby, they had just as scant regard for for human life. Most of all, though, there is the juxtaposition of this act being committed at such a great sporting occasion as the Boston Marathon - one of the big occasions along with nest Sunday's London Marathon. I believe it is that which has caused so much distress, perhaps more than that so understandably expressed over the school killings, distress for which in turn was considerable.