Ciao vs Salve

Roby

Ciao vs Salve

Post by Roby » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:50 am

As for Ciao, It comes from the ancient Venice: many years ago when people met in the streets used to say "Sciavo suo" (schiavo suo) to greet each other. As time went by they became lazier and lazier and from "Sciavo suo" it became "ciao".

"ciao" is very informal, we use it only with people we know well. many people use it also if don't know you, but this is not polite. You certainly know that in italian language exist a difference between "dare del tu" informal way to speak to someone (in this case you'll use "ciao") and "dare del lei" formal way (in this case you'll use buongiorno, buonasera, the right rule is "buongiorno till 12.00pm and "buonasera" after 12.00pm) You can use "ciao" with the meaning of "Hi/hello" or "goodbye" .

"Salve" it is a sort of middle way. Usually it is used when you don't really know which form you have to use, when you are not so sure if you want to "dare del tu" or "dare del lei"....
The word salve, in this case it means hello, is it for a formal or informal
It used for both formal and informal. Say "salve" when you meet people, we say "arrivederci" when we say goodbye. You say "salve" to people you're not so confident with.
Salve is quite formal ... I usually say "salve" to people I don't know very well ... It's something like "Good morning", "Good evening", ...

Roby
Last edited by Roby on Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sskwq

thanks

Post by sskwq » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm

its helpful!!!......for me and other learners.....thanks.... :D

nnamo

Post by nnamo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Ciao Roby,

Se si usa "Salve" come cenno di saluto, pensarei che si debba usare "Arrivederla" per equilibrare il discorso. Boh? Che ne pensi?

Tom

Roby

Post by Roby » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Tom,

Yes, if you use Salve in a formal way, with someone you do not know, it is best to use Arrivederci/ Arrivederla when you say good bye. If you use the formal, then it best to close in the formal. If you use the tu form- informal then close in the informal. Often, you will learn that the person that you have just met, refers that you use the tu form with them. Then, in closing use the informal.

Salve is used mostly in the formal , but as one of the native Italian have said, it also could be informal. Personally, I would use it in the formal.

Roby

Ember

Post by Ember » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:56 pm

Actually somebody says that "salve" is not very nice...
I use buongiorno and buonasera. I use buonasera also immediatly after lunch (we don't use buon pomeriggio in my zone).
And when I go away, then I say "arrivederci". I think it's better than "arrivederla" (I don't think anybody uses it anymore) but still remains informal.

Italiani, confermate?
:D
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***

TrentinaNE

Post by TrentinaNE » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:32 pm

I don't believe I've ever heard any of my Trentino relatives say "Salve." Is it used regionally? How do you mean "it's not very nice," Ember?

Grazie,
Elisabetta
(Le correzioni sono sempre ben accette!)

TeneroIppo

Post by TeneroIppo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Actually I say salve all the time because it keeps me from checking what time it is.

I think it is polite enough in every situation.

Of course I use ciao when I can, that is, with friends and people with whom I feel like using ciao instead of something slightly more formal.
Ciao

TrentinaNE

Post by TrentinaNE » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Tenero, dovrei mandarti un orologio? Ti piacerebbe uno con Topolino? 8)

Fin a che ora è "corretto" dire buon giorno...?

Buona sera! (Dove sei tu, ma per me, il pomeriggio è appena arrivato :wink: )

Elisabetta
(Le correzioni sono sempre ben accette!)

Ember

Post by Ember » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:34 pm

One day I told salve to a teacher and she looked annoyed. I used salve again with a latin teacher and she told me: "is that the way of greeting a teacher?!" I was very embarassed and so I found out that salve is not good for greeting a "superiore" (sorry I don't know the english word) because it's like giving him "del tu" (infact you should say "salvéte"). Not all the people know that or cares about that but somebody could.

TeneroIppo

Post by TeneroIppo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm

Well, still I don't think that salve is impolite.

It's a matter of viewpoints :D

Elisabetta, that's the reason why I say salve.... I don't know when buona sera or buongiorno are to be used :D
Ciao

Elisa

Post by Elisa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:30 pm

Non ho mai considerato "salve" scortese, anche se non l'ho mai usato molto.
Giusto i miei 2 centesimi. :)
Elisa :)

DesertCat

Post by DesertCat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:46 am

My Italian teacher (who is from Rome) taught us that salve is a great word to use. I use it in my emails to him because I'm usually writing them late in the evening and know he probably won't read until the following day.

Perhaps Ember's teacher is more formal than mine.

Adriano

ciao v salve

Post by Adriano » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:28 am

Ciao tutti,

sono stato in almeno otto regioni d'italia e dipende dove sei, forse anche dentro una singola regione.

Ciao e' una salutazione familiare con persone che si conosce. Salve o buongiorno/buonasera e' la salutazione normale quando non si conosce qualcuno.

Il mio professore mi ha detto che si dice "arrivederci" quando si parla con qualcuno che aspetti di vedere di nuovo e "arrivederla" quando questo non e' il caso.

Adriano
faccio errori - sono umano

Ember

Post by Ember » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:16 am

Arrivederci and arrivederla is the same... you can say arrivederci to anybody, and arrivederla only to people you don't know well (but arrivederci is better). These worlds just mean "see you" and so "bye" :)

Roby

Post by Roby » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:52 pm

Ember wrote:Arrivederci and arrivederla ARE the same... you can say arrivederci to anybody, and arrivederla only to people you don't know well (but arrivederci is better). These WORDS just mean "see you" and so "bye" :)
Ember, Ho fatto alcune piccole correzioni. Roby