La fata ignorante

Joaquin

La fata ignorante

Post by Joaquin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 pm

I saw this movie on Netflix which I liked called "His Hidden Life". There was this inscription at the back of a painting:

Per quella parte di te che mi manca e che non potrò mai avere, per tutte le volte che mi hai detto non posso, ma anche per quelle in cui mi hai detto: tornerò… Sempre in attesa... Posso chiamare la mia pazienza AMORE? La tua fata ignorante.

For part of you that I miss and that I can never have, for all the times that you told me i can't, but also
for those in which you have told me:I will return... always waiting...Can I call my patience LOVE? your ignorant fairy(?)

how's my translation? Fata ignorante seems like a strange expression. Does it have any special meaning?

Itikar

Re: La fata ignorante

Post by Itikar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Your translation looks good. :)

Yes it is strange. Such expressions are used by wives or lovers when addressing men, that do not correspond completely their love. In this case she likely remarks that she is somewhat magic or special, like a fairy, but that she lacks some knowledge that maybe he has.

I didn't see the movie so unfortunately I cannot tell you more.

Anyway I looked a bit on the web and it appears that "le fate ignoranti" is its Italian title:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274497/
I would be very grateful, if you could please correct my English.

Joaquin

Post by Joaquin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks Itikar!

Quintus

Post by Quintus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:38 am

The adjective ignorante usually takes one of the two following meanings:

a - ignorant or uninformed, when referring to one who ignores something.

b1 - rude, ill-mannered, impolite
b2 - direct, said of one who speaks his/her mind

The meaning a is the most common one in the North Italy. I heard people from there saying "Lei è un ignorante", which seemed pretty strange to me in a first time, but then I understood from the context that they were just meaning ignorant or uninformed (although, even in this sense, it is not considered a kind word), i.e. they use it in a strictly etymological sense. Luckily, we have a friend from the Deep North here and he will hopefully correct me should I be wrong.

The meaning b, along with its nuances b1 and b2, is the most common one in Tuscany, where I live, and probably somewhere else in the South. In Florence, it's not uncommon to hear someone crying out "Lei è un ignorante!", or "Che ignorante!" as s/he got a robust shove from someone else moving clumsily in a crowded bus (hence, with the nuance b1). This term, always with the nuance b1, was considered pretty offensive years ago, but there are worse than that in use now.

The nuance of ignoranti answering your question would seem to be b2, somewhat mixed up with b1. Here's an excerpt from:

http://respiroprofondo.com/2011/12/27/l ... ignorante/

I couldn't find any satisfactory translation for the nuance b2 (plus b1, in part) so I will use the original Italian adjective as it is, placing it before the noun in the English way. You will be certainly able to pinpoint the exact equivalent for it. Also, as I don't know the story, my first understanding of the term "fate" (fairies) was that the author was calling women that way, but from what follows it looks like he means both women and men, thus using this term as "magical friend" or "guardian angel", sort of.

«
Cosa sono le fate ignoranti? Le fate ignoranti sono quelle che incontriamo e non riconosciamo, ma che ci cambiano la vita.
What are the ignoranti fairies? The ignoranti fairies are those whom we use to come across and not recognize, but who change our life.

Non sono quelle delle fiabe, perché loro qualche bugia la dicono. Sono ignoranti, esplicite, anche pesanti a volte.
They are not the same as the ones from tales, as a few lies, you know, they tell them. They are ignoranti, explicit, sometimes heavy too.

Ma non mentono sui sentimenti. Le fate ignoranti sono tutti quelli che vivono allo scoperto, che vivono i propri sentimenti,
Though they don't lie about feelings. The ignoranti fairies are all those who live openly, who live their feelings,

e non hanno paura di manifestarli. Sono le persone che parlano senza peli sulla lingua, che vivono le proprie
and are not afraid to show them. They are the people who speak their mind, who are able to live with their own

contraddizioni e che ignorano le strategie. Spesso passano per ignoranti, perché sembrano cafone, e invadenti
contradictions and ignore (also in the sense of "do not care of") strategies. They are often taken for ignoranti as they look like bad-mannered and intrusive people

per la loro mancanza di buone maniere. Ma sono anche molto spesso delle fate, perché capaci di compiere il miracolo di
for their lack of good manners. Still they are as fairies very often, as they are capable of doing the miracle of

travolgerci. Costringendoci a dare una svolta alla nostra vita.
overwhelming us. (and) Forcing us to turn around our lives.
»
[Ferzan Özpetek]

Le mi' du' lirucce.

Quintus

-
Cuccurrucucuuuuu palooomaaaa ahiaiaiaiaiiii cantavaaaa (Coming soon!)