Travel Information in Italia

Roby

Travel Information in Italia

Postby Roby » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:06 pm

Ecco un sito per fare un viaggio in Italia. L'informazione importante...

http://www.initaly.com/travel/travel.htm

How to SAVE MONEY while traveling in Europe

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/thrifty50.htm

Roby 8)
Last edited by Roby on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

charlene

Postby charlene » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Roby,
Questo sito é molto interessante e molto molto utile. Ho letto la pagina sulla sistema del treno. Ho una domanda. Un scrittore (l'ultimo suggerimento) ha detto che é possibile di sapere la composizione del treno i.e. dov'e la prima classe quando il treno arriva:

http://www.initaly.com/travel/info/edwin.htm

Peró non spiega dove possa trovare le informazioni (all'infuori di Firenze). C'e qualcuno che sappia?
Charlene

Roby

Postby Roby » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 pm

charlene wrote:Peró non spiega dove possa trovare le informazioni (all'infuori di Firenze). C'e qualcuno che sappia?

Charlene,

I had posted this at www.ricksteves.com some years ago. I hope that this is helpful. Rick Steves site is very helpful. Take a look at his site for information.

Train travel in Italy: Helpful tips (When you buy train tickets they must be time stamped- BE SURE TO VALIDATE THEM)

I would like to recommend to all train travelers in Italy to always check whether or not a strike is planned before making plans to travel on the trains or the metro. Strikes are very common in Italy. You can find out this information by going to http://www.trenitalia.com, talking to the locals or going to the station a few days in advance if possible to find out any information. Also, buy your tickets in Italy to avoid any possible strikes.

Italian train tickets can be used on any train within a 6 hour period after validation. Remember to validate your tickets before boarding the train. There is also an expiration date on the ticket of some months, therefore, I believe the ticket can be used up until that date (of course, if you have not validated it yet.) Always ask questions at the ticket window.

I recommend buying train tickets as you go. I always purchase point to point tickets at the station. I buy 2nd class. (2nd class is very comfortable). I have used the ticket machines before as well. It is much cheaper than a railpass (ticket machine instructions were available in English as well as other languages)

I write down my train schedule for my planned trip before arriving at the station. I often check the schedules that are posted at the station before going to the window (double checking my plan to be sure it all works.)

** Charlene, Every station has several schedules for the trains posted around the station-- Departure- Partenza (they are in yellow) Arrivals-Arrivi (white). If you have a train to a city outside of Florence, check the schedule boards Ex. Your time is 8:34am for Florence; Look on the PARTENZA schedule at the 8:34 listings. Most times are in red or green to the left; It will say Firenze in bold letters; then below it will list all the cities where the train stops and the time it is to stop there . Check all 8:34 am times because often Firenze or your destination may not be the final destination of a train. You must match the time on your ticket to the times listed for the given city.

Also go to http://www.trenitalia.com and enter your information. Then you can also see the stops that your particular train will make during your travel. Print this out and then when you get to the station check the schedule boards. The boards will give you: the final destination of the train under which you will find the other stops it will make before arriving to the final destination; the times of all the stops at the other cities and the binario that you will need to go to to board the train. [b]** NOTE ** ALWAYS CHECK THE BIG SCHEDULE BOARD THAT YOU WILL FIND AT THE FRONT OF THE STATION UP ON THE WALL AS THE BINARIOS TEND TO CHANGE FROM THOSE POSTED.
The schedules are printed for certain period and are subject to change so be sure to check the big schedule board.

At the ticket window, I ask for a "Andata e ritorno"(roundtrip ticket), especially if I know when I am returning. Often I take the CIS (Cisalpino...Pendolino) going to my destination. It cost a little bit more than an intercity train, but it make often only 1 or 2 stops). For example, Domodossola to Milano Centrale costs 9.19 E. Then if I must change in Milano Centrale then I have another ticket for that train. For example, Milano Centrale to Bergamo costs 3.75 E. However, always compare the prices and the time it takes. If you do not mind the long train rides then go the intercity route.

Specify the class ticket that you want, 1st, 2nd, etc. I travel 2nd class as it is much cheaper and if you want food on the trains, you can go to the dining car in first class and buy something and bring it back to your seat. Often there are beverage carts that are brought through the cars of all classes.

Be sure to read your ticket for your seat assignment the train car (for the CIS). This information is located at the bottom of your ticket. (There is a symbol of a train and a number; this is the car that you are to sit in. Near the symbol you will see a seat number 92f; this is your seat number. ( If you bought your ticket in advance above the window there will be a little card stating, for example, "From:Domodossola To Milan Centrale" and the hour. This means that this seat is reserved for someone for that hour to this destination. If you buy your ticket the day of departure, your assigned seat will have a Not Reserved above the window.) Always double check with the train porters for your seat assignments on the CIS if you are not sure.

If you do not want to sit in a smoking car, please be sure to tell the ticket window clerk "Non Fumatore" (On the train the cars also have the smoking and non smoking symbols. Be sure that you board a non smoking car). Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is usually very friendly and helpful.

On the Intercity trains there are not seat assignments or car assignments. You will also find the smoking and non smoking symbols on the cars. Be sure to check.

All the trains have numbers on the cars 1, 2, 3, these are the class of the car. So, if you are in 2nd class, car 5, non smoking, you find the 2nd class car number 5, non smoking. There will be a number 2 is a circle usually blue or green, then a little train symbol and a number 5, and the international non smoking sign. This will be your car. Then you proceed to locate your seat. Above most of the windows you will also see a number 2 is a blue or green circle; this specifies the class of the car.

Train travel is great. No traffic to deal with,and you can relax; enjoy the scenery, read, etc. Also, be sure and get your ticket validated at the platform from which the train is leaving. For example, if your train to Milan is leaving from platform 8 ("binario 8") use the bright yellow validation box at 8 - not 9, 10, etc. The conductor may or may not check for the stamp, but you had better take the time to do it.

Validating Tickets

I would highly recommend that you validate all your tickets. There are train porters on all the trains and tickets are always checked. You could be fined if you haven't validated your ticket. Another point to mention is be sure your ticket is for the train you are on and that the train is going to your destination. On a recent trip, the girl sitting next to me had to pay 5.75 E for being on the wrong train with the wrong ticket. So please validate all train tickets and be sure your ticket is valid on the train you are on.

Check the schedules on the boards that are at all stations. Check the time, train, and destination of your travel before purchasing your ticket. The binario/track on which the train will depart from is also listed on the schedule. Check the electonic boards as well as the track may change.

The validating machines are at the front of the tracks They are yellow. On the metro, the validating machines are at the entrance to the track, you'll validate your ticket before you go through the turnstyle . On the buses, the ticket validating machines are found at the entrance to the bus and at the back of the bus. So be sure to validate your tickets.

***The train conductors/porters do check the tickets and punch them so they cannot be used again. Please validate your ticket to avoid a fine.

RC, San Diego, 7/2004

Anything else that I can help you with let me know.

Roby 8)
Last edited by Roby on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roby

TRAIN TYPES

Postby Roby » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:25 pm

TYPES OF TRAINS:

Here is a list of the types of trains to help you read the train guides and train schedule website.

Taken from : http://www.trenitalia.com/

ES-EUROSTAR:The Eurostar trains (ES*) are designed for travellers seeking high standards of comfort and speed. Connections and timetables serve Italy's main cities, allowing swift and direct access to the city centres.

The fleet is made up of modern and stylish trains, with air-conditioned carriages.

The trains ETR 460, 480 and 500 have seats and bathroom facilities for disabled customers.

On the trains no smoking is allowed.

CIS- CISALPINO--- same as Eurostar

LOCAL TRANSPORTATION

These trains take a bit long than the Eurostar or CIS trains, but cost less. It depends on the time that you have. Many of the cities outside the major cities use one of these trains...there is no other quicker way.

R-REGIONAL :The regional transport trains generally circulate within a single region, stopping at almost every station en route, connecting them with the larger towns. They usually provide only 2nd class seats. No smoking rules apply on board.

IR- INTERCITY-REGIONAL: The inter-regional trains move beyond regional boundaries to more distant locations, often tourist ones; they can also therefore circulate at weekends only, or during certain periods of the year. Among the combined local-transport services, the Inter-regional trains are the fastest ones with the fewest number of stops.

D- DIRECT: The direct trains can circulate both within the regions and their bordering regions; they travel at faster speeds than the local trains and stop at fewer stations.

IC: INTERCITY: Designed to offer the best combination of quality and value, Intercity trains travel throughout the Italian territory, covering the entire primary railway system and connecting cities beyond just the regional capitals while bringing a highly efficient exchange service to local trains.
All IC trains offer air conditioning, a sound system for communicating important information to passengers, Bar Bistro or Minibar service, on board cleaning service, and designated areas for disabled passengers.
No fewer than168 Intercity trains reach 240 stations every day. Since 2004-with the introduction of Intercity Plus trains-service has only been getting better.
Intercity train cars, either open or with compartments, and both first and second class, offer air conditioning, a public address sound system for important information, on board cleaning service, and, on most trains, Bar Bistrot or Minibar service

IC PLUS: INTERCITY PLUS:
90 trains-53% of the total of 168 Intercity trains-carry the designation of IC Plus, with completely renovated interiors.
In addition to the standard services on board IC trains, Intercity Plus trains also offer a number of advantages to create a modern, bright environment:

Seats in new colours and fabrics, more comfortable than ever;
A more functional lighting system, with new ceiling lights and courtesy lights;
Trash bins are larger, and include separate receptacles for recycling (in first class);
Separate bathrooms for men and women;
First class seats are equipped with electrical outlets for laptops and cell phones, with better designed tables for working and reading.

IC Plus cars are equipped with new, high quality carpeting in first class, soft rubber in second class, and new, high strength mats in the passageways and new wall and ceiling treatments.

Additionally, IC Plus trains are kept particularly clean.

BUSINESS CLASS TRAINS

T-BIZ :T-Biz is Trenitalia's new business class for travellers who require the very best facilities.
Those who travel for business know how important it is to travel between Milan and Rome: T-Biz connects the centre of the two cities in just 4 hours 5 minutes, with only one stop at Bologna. T-Biz provides timetables, journey times, on board services and assistance which have been studied to meet the needs of exacting travellers, which can choose between two service classes.

INTERNATIONAL TRAINS

Trenitalia's quality proposition for travelling from Italy to the rest of Europe in utmost comfort
Trenitalia's international proposals for 2005 have been improved and made even more accessible to respond even better to customers' requirements, with more comfortable trains, shorter journey times, new destinations and more services

EC- EUROCITY AND EN-EURONIGHT :At international level, the Eurocity network provides 14 pairs of trains connecting Italy with Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Belgium. Short travelling times, excellent comfort and quality services are emblematic of day or night travel in Europe.

Roby

charlene

Postby charlene » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:58 pm

Grazie Roby. Queste informazioni sono molto utili. Le studieró con attenzione!
Charlene

Roby

Postby Roby » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:22 pm

charlene wrote:Grazie Roby. Queste informazioni sono molto utili. Le studieró con attenzione!

Charlene,

Prego! Ti ho scritto un messaggio privato. Ho delle informazioni per te.. Leggi la tua posta qui.. allora, fammi sapere...
Roby :D

capt.findus

Postby capt.findus » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:44 am

trenitalia.com
is not an easy site to use: as italian i think it's a mess..

anyway it's the right website!

Artrella

Postby Artrella » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:38 am

I've never had problems with Trenitalia, Capt.Findus. Last year when I went to Italy, I booked all my tickets from Argentina, using their site. Even, when I was in Milano, I had to change one ticket (which was intended to go to Piacenza) to go to Verona. They were very kind at the Station and I had no problems. :D

PS: I liked Eurostar, for me it is the best train. Then you have InterCity, which is not as good as ES.
“Chiunque può sbagliare: ma nessuno, se non è sciocco, persevera nell’errore”. (Cicerone)
Per favore, correggete i miei errori !

capt.findus

Postby capt.findus » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:45 am

Often you can't buy a ticket online and you don't know why,
then reload and can buy... but the system log you off for unknown reasons... :evil:

charlene

Postby charlene » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:22 pm

C'e qualcuno che sappia dove si trova le informazioni per lo sciopero (dei treni) in Italia? Mi pare che c'e un sito dedicarsi per citare gli scioperi in futuro ma ho perso il bookmark sul mio computer.
Charlene

Roby

Train strike information

Postby Roby » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:22 pm

charlene wrote:C'e qualcuno che sappia dove si trova le informazioni per lo sciopero (dei treni) in Italia? Mi pare che c'e un sito dedicarsi per citare gli scioperi in futuro ma ho perso il bookmark sul mio computer.

Charlene,
Here you go...

Train strike information
http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

Roby

Roby

Cybercafes

Postby Roby » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Here are some Cybercafe links so that you can find the nearest one to you on your travels.

http://www.thenetgate.it/

http://cybercaptive.com/

Roby

Note: I was given this tip:

Free Internet Access at Libraries
In many places internet access is free at public libraries with, on average, a 30 minute time limit. . Ask the hotel desk where the local library is located. So rather than waste a lot of money in an internet cafe or on an expensive phone card you may want to go to a public library instead.
Last edited by Roby on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roby

Weather in Italy

Postby Roby » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:17 pm

Here are some links for the weather in Italy. These links may be helpful in planning your days. Happy Travels.

http://italian.wunderground.com/global/ ... 16289.html

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/IT_cc.html

Roby

Roby

New Air Security Measures

Postby Roby » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Taken from:
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/9659109/detail.html

USA Restrictions

Travelers should also be aware that the Transportation and Safety Administration has banned all liquids and gels of any kind in carry-on baggage. Exceptions are being made for:
Baby formula, breast milk, and juice if a baby or small child is traveling.
Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket.
Insulin and other essential nonprescription medicines.

In addition to these restrictions, TSA officials said that before security screening, passengers must remove their shoes and place them on an X-ray belt for examination. Passengers were also asked to arrive at least two hours early to allow for additional screening measures.

U.K. Restrictions

Authorities in the United Kingdom announced that travelers cannot carry hand luggage aboard aircraft. Laptop computers, mobile phones and iPods (or similar devices) are also banned. Passengers may, however, carry on the following items in a plastic bag:

Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents, for example, money, credit cards, identity cards, etc. Handbags not allowed.
Travel documents essential for the journey, such as passports and travel tickets.
Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight, such as a diabetic kit, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic. You will need a prescription to carry on medicines.
Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger), and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, such as diapers, wipes, creams, and diaper disposal bags.
Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed, i.e., tampons, pads, towels and wipes.
Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs.
Keys (but no electrical key fobs).
Any food purchased in the international departures lounge must be consumed before boarding.
All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-rayed. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.
Wheelchairs and walking aids must be X-rayed, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

The airlines are advising travelers to:
Pack lightly without clutter to facilitate easier screening.
Check with your air carrier well before your flight departs for arrival information.
Cooperate with TSA personnel at all checkpoints and gates. TSA security officers will be checking carry-on baggage at the gate.
Be attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity.

Call the airlines that you are traveling on for additional information needed on that particular airlines before you leave.Roby
Last edited by Roby on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roby

The New Rules of Flying

Postby Roby » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Taken from:

http://ibs.smartmoney.com/dealoftheday/ ... hatkey=dgo

WELCOME TO A NEW era in travel: No liquids, lotions, gels or the like are permitted in carry-on baggage.

The change in rules is based on Thursday's announcement by British authorities of a plot to blow up U.S.-bound aircraft using explosives smuggled on board in carry-on bags. In response, the threat level for flights between Britain and the United States was raised to red; the domestic flight threat level to orange.

"Clearly, there is going to be a new regime for carry-on baggage," says Ed Perkins, contributing editor for SmarterTravel.com, a consumer travel advice web site. "It's going to be harder to do a no-checked baggage trip."

If you must travel in the coming weeks, here's how to cope:

Before You Leave Home
Pack carefully. Anyone who has ever opened a suitcase to discover a leaky bottle of shampoo or moisturizer will tell you it's important to carefully secure toiletries in your luggage. First, squeeze the air out of any open containers, says Susan Foster, author of "Smart Packing for Today's Traveler." "Air is what expands and makes the product leak," she explains. Then put each item into a sealable plastic bag. Place your heaviest items (shoes, hairdryer, etc.) along the hinged or wheeled edge of your suitcase, and then layer your toiletries on top of them. That way, when the suitcase is upright, the only things pressing atop your toiletries will be your comparatively light clothing.

Watch your weight. An average set of toiletries weighs nine pounds, says Paul Shrater, co-founder of Minimus, a web site that sells travel-size items. If you're used to carrying most in your carry-on, that extra weight could easily put you over the airline's checked baggage limit. And those fees — which start at $25 — are nothing to sneeze at. (For more, see our column Avoiding Ugly Airline Fees.) Use travel-size items when possible, or squeeze some of your favorite brand into a small container.

Get creative. The only liquid products permitted in your carry-on bag are necessary medications and infant formula — and even those must pass inspection. To get any must-have toiletries or nonvital medications in your carry-on, seek out nonliquid alternatives, advises Shrater. Many traditionally liquid products come in towelettes (bug spray, makeup remover, hand sanitizer) or dissolvable strips (mouthwash, soap). Also consider the pill forms of any liquid medications, such as Pepto Bismol, Vicks or Benadryl.

Instead of... Bring...
Dramamine caplets Chewable Dramamine caplets
Hand sanitizer gel Wet Ones moist wipes
Mouthwash Listerine Pocket Packs
Pepto Bismol, liquid Pepto Bismol caplets
Sunscreen Smart Shield sunscreen towelette with insect repellent
Shampoo Lush solid shampoo
Toothpaste Oral B Brush-Ups

Leave some room. As of publication, passengers on flights leaving the U.K. were not permitted to have any carry-on bags at all, save those that could fit in a pocket — say, a wallet. Save space in your checked luggage for your purse or briefcase, advises Foster. Consider packing a duffel bag in your suitcase in case you run out of room.

At the Airport
Be the early bird. To catch all the banned items, airport security teams are conducting in-depth bag searches. "That kind of search takes time," says Tim Winship, publisher of FrequentFlier.com. "There are going to be security delays like you've never seen before." Aim to arrive at least three hours before a domestic flight, four hours before an international one.

Ask about mail-back options. You threw out your bottled water and transferred toiletries to your checked baggage, but forgot to remove that Swiss Army knife. Don't panic. Most airports offer some aid to keep your banned items out of the confiscation pile. All you need to do is ask. (Do, however, weigh the consequences of getting out of line against the personal value of that item.)

One of the most widespread options is mail-back kiosks near the security checkpoint or at airport stores. For about $10, one of three companies — ReturnKey Systems, Smarte Cart and CheckPoint Mailers — will mail items back to your home. Other airports provide assistance at their traveler's aid office. At Tampa International Airport, travelers can buy envelopes and stamps, while Daytona Beach International Airport mails back items free of charge.

Avoid airport shopping. Don't count on re-buying what you just tossed out after you've cleared security and are browsing in the shops. Those items are also banned from the plane. Buy and chug that bottled water if you must, but hold off on other purchases until you arrive at your destination.

Taken from : www.hotels.com

TRAVEL ALERT
Published August 11, 2006, 10:30 AM CDT

To speak with a Customer Care Agent during emergencies:
Domestic: (800) 916-1821
International: (817) 333-5179

Security Threat Level Raised at all Airports

In response to a serious terrorist threat to international aviation security, the Secretary of Homeland Security has elevated the Homeland Security Advisory System Threat Condition as follows:

To Severe, or Red, for all commercial flights from the United Kingdom to the United States, To High, or Orange, for all other international flights and all domestic commercial aviation.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is taking a number of heightened protective measures to ensure the continued safety and security of our international and domestic air travel.

For the latest information on Travel Security Alert status and screening procedures, visit the Transportation Security Administration site.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is immediately implementing following changes to airport screening procedures:

U.S. travel

No liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted in carry-on baggage. All of these items must be in checked baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoos and conditioners, lotions and creams, toothpaste, hair gel, and all products of similar consistency. The only exceptions noted pertain to baby formula, prescription medication, insulin and other essential non-prescription medicines. Labeled prescription medications must carry the same name as the ticketed passenger.

International travel

All travelers from the United Kingdom to the United States will be subject to more extensive screening processes. The following apply to all passengers departing from a U.K. airport and to those transferring between flights at a U.K. airport:

All carry-on baggage must be processed as checked baggage and stored in the belly of the aircraft departing U.K. airports.

Passengers may take only the following items through airport security in a single plastic bag: Pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (no handbags)

Travel documents essential for travel (passports, tickets)

Prescription medication and medical items essential for the flight

Glasses and sunglasses without cases

Contact lens holders without bottles of solution o Baby food, milk and sanitary items needed for the flight

Unboxed tissues and/or handkerchiefs

Keys without electronic key fobs All passengers will be hand searched. Their footwear and all items carried will be screened.

All passengers boarding flights to the United States and all items carried will be subject to secondary screening at the boarding gate.

To assist passengers, U.S. government agencies are advising travelers to follow these general guidelines:

Pack lightly to help facilitate airport security checkpoints.

Cooperate with TSA personnel at all checkpoints and gates. TSA security officers will be checking carry-on baggage at gates.

Passengers should allow extra time and plan to arrive at the airport in advance to accommodate any delays.

Check with carriers well in advance of flight departures for flight delays or cancellations.

For all other questions, you can contact us by e-mail with our support and feedback form. To speak with a Customer Care Agent call:
Domestic: (800) 916-1821
International: (817) 333-5179

Roby
Last edited by Roby on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Miscellaneous”