Travel Experiences in Italy

Roby

Post by Roby » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:18 am

Ember wrote:Una cosa che mi dispiace è che spesso i turisti vengoo in Italia e la visitano da nord a sud in una sola vacanza. So che è difficile e costoso, ma credo sia meglio scegliere poche mete alla volta :) per visitare anche una sola regione ci vogliono secoli dato che le città e i paesi sono un'infinità, e di solito tutti bellissimi e antichi :D
I agree with you Ember. However, the first time I went to Italy, I did not knw whether or not I would get the chance to return so the fist trip I did all I could in the time that I had.

Now, I tend to stay in one area. If I decide to go somewhere else, it is only one or two cities at a time.

Roby

Ember

Post by Ember » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Bene, quando vuoi vieni a trovarmi a Pesaro o Urbino ;) (Urbino è più bella, ma a Pesaro c'è il mare) :)
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Discussion on Travel lessons and experiences

http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15649#15649

Coyote blu

Travel survey

Post by Coyote blu » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 pm

TRAVEL SURVEY
Date of trip: July 2004
How did you arrive in Italy (car, train, air, boat,
etc):

Airplane

Purpose of your trip (study, wedding, r&r, work etc):

Vacation, enogastronomia

Your destination(s): Week 1 - Vernazza/Cinque Terre; Week 2 - Siena/Tuscany

Length of trip:
2 weeks

Your travel companion(s) (can be generic response --2 kids under 12, husband with mobility problems etc)

My wife and I; although we rendezvous'ed in Vernazza with 6 additional friends and totally filled a B&B in the vicinity (references on request); 2 of the friends departed at the end of the first week and we totally filled a semi-private villa/colonico outside of Siena for the second week. I mention the "totally filled" part because it was very, very nice to have our entire accommodation filled (only) with good friends. We could come to breakfast in our pajamas, if we wanted to!

Sights worth seeing: Did our first-jet lag recovery night in Como (always nice). Our cliffside "l'eremo" right on the "sentiero azzuro" led to daily jaunts via train, boat or on foot to the other 4 terre. Fabulous scenery, fun towns, great eats, etc. From Siena, we visited Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Castellina in Chianti, ecc., all well worth it.

One skippable or overrated place/monument/activity:

Drove to San Gimignano, but never got out of the car. The place was crawling with tourists buses, lines of people following tour guides with numbered signs, etc., etc. Probably a lovely city, but it was too crazy that day for us to even stop and see.

Best meal:

A private party living outside of Monterosso serves meals either on the terrace of their home or in their "orto" - we had the most fabulous local specialties grown/caught/produced/raised right on the property from the most lovely, accommodating hosts. Ate, drank and talked for four and a half hours before we had to catch the last train back to Vernazza. While in the villa near Siena, we engaged a chef from a cooking school to come out to our villa and teach us all how to make a classic, rustic tuscan meal - homemade "pici," roast chicken, on and on. Both the experiences were just fabulous.

Crazy-amazing pranzo a Poggio Antico (azienda vinicola), vicino a Montalcino. Marvelous scenery - middle of the vineyards looking out over Tuscan hilltowns in every direction, amazing cuisine, killer wines...

Random food experience: Un giorno, quando siamo stati a Riomaggiore in Liguria - avevamo appena finito il nosto pranzo in un bel ristorante piccolo quando ho detto al cameriere: Prima di partire gli stati uniti, ho insegnato al mio amico a dire quattro parole in Italiano. Le piace di sentirle? Poi, ho chieso al mio amico di dire le parole che aveva imparato. Si ha alzato e ha detto forte - Questa volta pago io! Tutti nel ristorante hanno applaudito.

Most forgettable meal: Apparently, I've forgotten it.

Your most overused Italian phrase(s): allora, va bene

Where your Italian failed you:

Trying to give the taxi directions to find our "cena nel orto" in Monterosso. It turns out he was supposed to leave us off on the side of the road near a footpath. It was such an odd destination that it took a bartender (!?) to help us sort it out.

Close encounters:

Driving back from Montalcino late one night trying to find our way THROUGH Siena, rather than around it, in order to get to the other side. I'm certain I drove in pedestrian only areas (think "sidewalks") before we began to see signs for the train station on the north side of town, which we eventually reached. Once there, I was oriented again and found my way back to the villa.

Items crammed into suitcase on return trip: Il vino.

Hindsight: what you'd change second time around

Not much. We had a terrific time. Maybe, stay 4 times as long!

Additional notes:

Too numerous to mention.

timLA

Travel Survey

Post by timLA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:03 pm

TRAVEL SURVEY
Date of trip: March 2007

How did you arrive in Italy: Airplane
Purpose of your trip: Pure pleasure
Your destination(s): Venezia, VinItaly, Padova, VinItaly, Trieste, VinItaly, Verona, VinItaly, Udine, VinItaly :lol:
Length of trip: 1.5 weeks
Your travel companion: wife
Sights worth seeing: Everything
One skippable or overrated place/monument/activity: Doesn't exist in Italy other than Corleone
Best meal: "Da Balan" - San Giorgio di Nogaro - This is the best meal I have had in my life inside or outside of Italy
Most forgettable meal: None
Your most overused Italian phrase(s): Ecco
Where your Italian failed you: Not a major issue
Close encounters: None
Hindsight: Stay 6 months longer :D
Notebook: Too many "good" addresses
Additional notes: To me Italy is the "small" things. Yes, you need to see all of the big things - Sistine, St. Marks, Duomo di Milano, etc. But to me, Italy is the "little" things...

The small piece of metal in Venice that holds open the shutters - no matter if the shutter is open or closed - there is a face of a person pointed toward you.

The ladders strategically attached and locked to the outside walls of houses in Venice, because it would be too difficult to move them by boat or over the bridges in an emergency.

The 20 meter tall "chair" in the middle of a field in the area of Friuli that is famous for making chairs.

A tour of the Spilimbergo mosaic school.

The anatomy theater in the Palazzo del Bo - Padova

The groves of poplar in Friuli, all perfectly planted in rows, ready for harvest after 20 years.

A conversation with an 80 year old Siciliana (right out of the Godfather) who had never seen a tourist, and who knew my wife's grandfather.

And on, and on, and on....
Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Che fortuna che io sono un pinguino!

charlene

Post by charlene » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:14 pm

Drove to San Gimignano, but never got out of the car. The place was crawling with tourists buses, lines of people following tour guides with numbered signs, etc., etc. Probably a lovely city, but it was too crazy that day for us to even stop and see
Abbiamo noleggiato una camera in un agriturismo due passi da San Gimignao ed abbiamo visitato la città dopo le cinque, dopo tutti i turisti sono partiti (come in Venezia). Nella sera, la cittá era piú tranquilla le strade erano piú vuote. Dall'agristurismo, era possibile di guidare a tutte le altre cittá famose come Sienna, Lucca ecc. durante il giorno. Un altro vantaggio: l'agriturismo era economico per una camera grande and bellisima.
Charlene

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:06 pm

Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld