Listening and learning la lingua..

ladybird

Listening and learning la lingua..

Post by ladybird » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:59 pm

Ciao amici

Just a quick question, apologies if the subject has arisen before.

I would very much like to improve my listening skills and have been trying to use RAI click.

I understand about 1 word out of every fifty! Do you think this is the best way for me to learn? They just speak so fast..

I have watched a few Italian DVD's, I did quite well with "my name is Tanino" but as the others were old so I couldn't keep up with the dialogue.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Grazie
Life is for living and learning.

Roby

Post by Roby » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Angela,

The best way to improve your listening skills is to continue watching and listening to Italian. I can recommend some Italian tapes for you---. Learning Italian CD/Cassette and Book programs a) Living Language Series b) Let's Go Series . These are very helpful so you learn to understand what is being said.

Keep listening to the films and radio. Is there an Italian community near you?

I must tell you that it took me a very long time to understand what was being said on the TV. However, keep plugging along.

Roby

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Roby wrote:Angela,

The best way to improve your listening skills is to continue watching and listening to Italian. I can recommend some Italian tapes for you---. Learning Italian CD/Cassette and Book programs a) Living Language Series b) Let's Go Series . These are very helpful so you learn to understand what is being said.

Keep listening to the films and radio. Is there an Italian community near you?

I must tell you that it took me a very long time to understand what was being said on the TV. However, keep plugging along.

Roby
Ciao di nuovo Roby, stai qui in questo momento? :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm fairly certain there isn't an italian community in this area although we are a fairly mixed bunch.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure where the Italian community is in London..I think it may be in the north of the city, or maybe "in centro".

A neighbour did give me some CD's by Michel Tomas which were quite useful months ago, however his eastern european accent is so strong it is often quite difficult to follow what he is saying.

I will carry on listening to RAI, when I understand 10 words out of 50, I'll let you know :D

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Ciao Angela

Roby is absolutely right. Listen to as much as possible. Buy/rent/beg steal or borrow(!) DVDs or videos of Italian films. There are so many; in fact I seem to remember a thread about them some time back. Look for Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso, Johnny Stecchino (Benigni at his maddest!), La Stanza del Figlio, and if you can take the bleakness of the storyline, I Ladri di Biciclette (neo-realsim from Vittorio de Sica). However, there is also I Ladri di Sapponette from Maurizio Nichetti - a skit on de Sica's film that I consider a work of pure genius. Another Nichetti film is Volere Volare, again so original in its concept. There are plenty of others, most if not all available from Amazon. They are all sub-titled, which helps enormously - unless of course you don't like sub-titles.

Also listen to CDs, cassettes that come with the course you are doing - I presume there are some. It does not hurt to listen to them, even if it is just to pick up the rhythm of the language.

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:42 pm

Peter wrote:Ciao Angela

Roby is absolutely right. Listen to as much as possible. Buy/rent/beg steal or borrow(!) DVDs or videos of Italian films. There are so many; in fact I seem to remember a thread about them some time back. Look for Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso, Johnny Stecchino (Benigni at his maddest!), La Stanza del Figlio, and if you can take the bleakness of the storyline, I Ladri di Biciclette (neo-realsim from Vittorio de Sica). However, there is also I Ladri di Sapponette from Maurizio Nichetti - a skit on de Sica's film that I consider a work of pure genius. Another Nichetti film is Volere Volare, again so original in its concept. There are plenty of others, most if not all available from Amazon. They are all sub-titled, which helps enormously - unless of course you don't like sub-titles.

Also listen to CDs, cassettes that come with the course you are doing - I presume there are some. It does not hurt to listen to them, even if it is just to pick up the rhythm of the language.
Ciao Peter

I have I Ladri di Biciclette, I have only watched it once :oops:
Is it possible that some of the dialogue is being spoken in a regional dialect? I know the sub-titles are there, but some of the words don't seem to tally, if you understand what I mean.

I also have Miracle a Milano, quite sweet really!

I shall have a look on Amazon and see what I can find, but in the meantime, it's back to RAI click..

Roby

Post by Roby » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:49 pm

Peter wrote:Ciao Angela

Angela,

Do you have any Andrea Bocelli , Eros Ramazzotti, Laura Pausini, any other Italian groups cds? This is a good way to learn the language as well. Most of the cds (at least in America) have the lyrics with them.

With the holidays just around the corner, you should be able to find some Italian Christmas CDs.

Any CD by Andrea Bocelli! Pop or opera, Bocelli's diction is so wonderfully clear that you can understand every word. And each CD come with a booklet with all the lyrics. Or find the lyrics on this nice website: http://abmusica.home.mindspring.com/song_index.htm What a great way to practice while you are driving!

Interactive CDs: I have "Learn Italian Now!" from Transparent Language. It's better than tapes, since I can type in any word and find out how it's pronounced, plus it has word games, language drills and little videos with people speaking in real time.

Roby

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm

Maybe this can be of interest to you

http://languamediaitalian.podomatic.com/

You'll find plenty of shows to improve your listening skills
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

DesertCat

Post by DesertCat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:39 am

ladybird,

Be selective with Rai Click. Watch one of the soap operas (Un posto al sole or Sottocasa). There's a new show everyday and it's short (only about half an hour). The dialog is relatively simple and somewhat repetitive. I've reached a point where I understand about 75% of the words they say and I can follow what's happening though I'm sure I miss a lot of the details.

Rolly

Post by Rolly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:56 am

But you will find that the sounds that you hear on the street or in other informal conversation may vary considerably from the material that you will be given in formal lessons.
One needs to be aware that, politically speaking, Italy is still a very young country and far from homogenous, socially and culturally.
The use of "Italian" as a common language is a function of the slowly improving educational facilities which came into being in the 1950's.
Many older folk have difficulty in following even the more popular TV shows because of regional linguistic differences and because of their incomplete knowledge of "correct" Italian.
I have met many intelligent 50 year old people who recieved very little schooling because of their family circumstances (poverty, isolation - geographically and socially -, ) and poor teaching and administrative practices, and who can be correctly described as sub-literate. Their elders most often had no formal education at all and are quite incapable of reading and/or writing.
This, of course, does not diminish them as good worthy individuals, but it does make them easy prey for those in the fields of commerce, religion, politics, academia and bureaucracy who will take whatever opportunity presents itself to further their own ends. And there are plenty of them.:evil:
But enough of the cynicism.
Just be aware that to communicate effectively one needs to understand some of the history of the people and how that history continues to influence their daily life.
The study of a language in isolation from its cultural environment is, at best, simply an academic exercise.

Ciao 4 Nao

Rolly
---- Ne ammazza più la gola che la spada ------

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:07 pm

The newspaper, Il Resto di Carlino, has most of their newspaper articles in vocal form. On the top of each page, you can just click on it and read along with the voice or practice without, seeing how many words you can identify.

Click here for the link!

EDIT Jan 25 2008:
Il resto di carlino does not have this on their web site anymore. If you want to listen to articles, go to ADN Kronos: http://www.adnkronos.com

Thanks!
Last edited by keithatengagedthinking on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Buonasera a tutti

Wow, so many replies and useful suggestions, thank you all.

It's easy to forget that when I started learning Italian, I went through a time when I thought I would never be able to understand anything.
I can now read and write (debatable!) at a basic level, therefore I must apply the same rules to my listening skills I suppose..only baby steps to start with :)

I will follow all your suggestions, I guess you can call it the immersion method!

By the way Roby, guess which musical CD's my husband is getting me for Christmas? although he doesn't know it yet.. :lol:

Roby

Post by Roby » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:37 pm

ladybird wrote: By the way Roby, guess which musical CD's my husband is getting me for Christmas? although he doesn't know it yet.. :lol:
These cds will be great. Andrea Bocelli has a Christmas CD called Sacred Arias

http://www.thestore24.com/product.aspx? ... id=Froogle
You can listen to bits of the cd.

I would recommend the following cds of Andrea's to begin with:

Sogno

Romanza

Laura Pausini cds

The Best of Laura Pausini: E Ritorno Da Te 2001

Laura Pausini [Italian] 1993

Resta in Ascolto

Live in Paris 05

Eros Ramazzotti cds

Eros [Italian Version] 1998
Eros Live (Italian) 1998

Roby

Rolly

Post by Rolly » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:48 am

Oh! I forgot to mention that there are three words that describe the path to success in any learning process and especially that of language. They are:- REPETITION, REPETITION & REPETITION
---- Ne ammazza più la gola che la spada ------

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:08 pm

We have just published a new issue for our free online magazine. Hope you'll like it!

http://languamediaitalian.podomatic....05_18_13-07_00

This is what you will find

ELEMENTARY LEVEL
COMINCIA
START READING IN ITALIAN!
Il mio supermercato – My supermarket
La radio in Italia – Radio in Italy
A scuola! – Back to school!
PAROLE PAROLE
LEARN NEW ITALIAN WORDS
Gli animali - Animals
I VERBI
LEARN A NEW ITALIAN VERB AND HOW TO USE IT
Andare – To Go

INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED LEVEL
QUESTA ITALIA
NEWS FROM AROUND IL BEL PAESE
La radio in Italia – Radio in Italy
I nuovi viaggiatori – New travellers
Niente alcol ai minorenni – No alcohol to those underage
FAVOLA
AN ITALIAN FAIRY TALE SELECTED AND READ FOR YOU
Le tre cose – The three things

BOTH LEVELS
AROUND ITALY WITH LEO
Sardinia – La Sardegna
FOCUS ON ITALIAN
The plural of nouns
Il comparativo di minoranza e di uguaglianza
LICIA’S CORNER
Panna Cotta

And much more!
Ciao!
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

Barbara

Post by Barbara » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:08 am

Ladybird, maybe you will find that site useful:
http://www.learnitalianpod.com/

B.