Accents -- for laptop users

dmj120

Accents -- for laptop users

Postby dmj120 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:25 am

I found the following from http://forum.wordreference.com/showpost ... stcount=18

How to Install the US International Keyboard Layout in Windows XP: (I use winVista and its the same process)
- go to 'Start' => 'Control Panel' => 'Regional and Language Settings'
- click on the 'Languages tab' => 'Text services and input languages' => 'Details'
- in the section 'Installed Services', you will see a list of the already installed languages/keyboard layouts. Click on the 'Add' button to open the 'Add Input Language' dialog box.
- select English from the first drop-down menu => 'United States-International' from the second drop-down menu => Click OK
Notice that United States-International now appears in the list of installed keyboard layouts. Look at the section Default input language above. Select English (United States - United States-International) from the drop-down menu. This layout will now be selected automatically every time Windows starts.
- click OK to close the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box.
- click OK to close the Regional and Language Settings dialog box.
Your keyboard layout is now configured for accents!

Becuase I use a laptop, this does not work for me, however, I figured out a work around. :D

Instead install the Italian keyboard, then from the tool bar select the Italian (Italy) language and your keyboard becomes an "Italian keyboard." So now... è ò à are possible. just remember if you try this, you'll want to switch back to your original English (US) keyboard when done.

This is just a thought for you to consider if you want use a laptop and want to have the ability to type accented letters.
Family, dogs, bike, work ----- in that order.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

Roby

Postby Roby » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

ericspinelli

Postby ericspinelli » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:31 pm

I highly recommend this solution. It is quick to setup and quick to use. A single keystroke for è is preferable to five, is it not? Not only do you have the option of switching from English input for a specific dialect/region to International, you can install specific countries. This is particularly important for those language learners who will go on to learn languages that share less and less orthography with English.

I currently use English (United States), Japanese, and Italian (Italy) as my three main Input Management Editors (IMEs). They are all switchable through a single icon on my taskbar. The Italian setting is actually quite timid compared to the Japanese editor, which allows both English and Japanese, drawing/recognition tools, character search tools, biases (names, speech, etc.), and conversion tools with grammar notes.

The only downfall is IME usage requires personalizing a computer which may not be possible depending on location and settings.  

IMEは使えば良いと思います。

I assume for many of you, the above is a string of Unicode -- ampersands, pound signs, and numbers. It's really only 11 characters and a period. You wouldn't want to have to remember all those numbers on your own, would you?!?

-Eric

dmj120

Postby dmj120 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 am

Excellent point Eric. After figuring out the key differences, I have found switching fomr "EN" to "IT" and back a fast and easy solution.

But as Philip said - whatever works for ya.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

calum
Site Owner

Postby calum » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:26 pm

For the less technically minded, this might be the ideal solution for you --> http://italian.typeit.org/

regards,
Calum

dmj120

Postby dmj120 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Calum, I might start using that link also

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A presto

Roby

Postby Roby » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 pm

How to include accents- Thanks Peter

Ci sono alcuni modi in cui puoi includere accenti. C'è Character Map, la quale tu riesco a trovare se vai a All Programs>Assessibility>System Tools>Character Map (questo applica se hai XP; non so se sia diverso con Vista). Puoi scrivere il messaggio in Word e puoi usare Symbols nel menu Insert. Oppure, ancora meglio, riesco a usare il sito sul quale ho scritto questo messaggio: http://italian.typeit.org/.

Roby

Postby Roby » Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Roby

Return to “Miscellaneous”