Advice sought on using the present tense of a verb to explain a past event

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
CiaoTutti

Advice sought on using the present tense of a verb to explain a past event

Postby CiaoTutti » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 pm

I had two main questions:

1) Simple grammar question: As I study more and more about the past tenses, some sources state that you can "get away" with using the present tense of a verb to explain a past tense, provided you add a qualifier related to time: i.e. ieri, stasera, etc. to put that sentence in the past. Is this true?

Per essempio:

"Lei ha fatto gli spaghetti?" - Did you make(cook) the spaghetti? (I think I wrote this correctly)
but would it be correct to say either:
"Lei fa gli spaghetti stasera/ieri?" , "Lei cuoca gli spaghetti stasera/ieri?" (using stasera/ieri to denote that it is past?)
or would
"Lei cuoca gli spaghetti?" work as well? (but I would think that would that be - "Are you cooking the spaghetti?" - Present tense)

Ci sono molti modi diversi parlare una frase in L'italiano. (Feel free to correct this sentence as well as any others, as I am a beginner).
I'm all about learning from my mistakes, so don't feel bad for correcting them!

2) Also, another source I had read went on to inform me that for 99% of the time, Italians use the passato prossimo. Is this true as well?

Grazie Mille!
Last edited by calum on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: original title too vague

Return to “Vocabolario e grammatica”