lo sport televisione!

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

ladybird wrote:All this footie is killing me Steve. :roll:

Comunque..

Gli abbonamenti per queste stazioni sono molto costosi/cari, ma anche il calcio in diretta puó essere costoso/caro.

Qualche associazione calcistica fa pagare tra 40 e 50 euro per il biglietto d'ingresso, non so come le persone possano permettersi di pagarlo!

EEK to the next sentence :shock: Credere ha bisogno del congiuntivo ma anche la frase sembra difficile..forse puoi cambiarla?

Questo é solo la prima parte, ha senso finora?
Very good attempt ladybird :)

I just corrected the parts with red color

Maelstrom corrected it perfectly
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

stefano2

Post by stefano2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks everyone
Inglese più difettoso italiano difettoso

Pacentro08

Post by Pacentro08 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Having read your postings on evening classes concentrating on the written language I'm appalled. There's an argument for doing written work if it's an exam class and I know a lot of centres tried to get round the low numbers and funding issue by making classes exam courses, but I thought even that had stopped last century.

I shouldn't be surprised though as I've just had someone book to come on one of the summer courses in Abruzzo who told me that in her first class back after Christmas she only said 10 words in two hours. I thought that was just a one-off, but clearly not. The Brits have such a bad reputation for learning languages, but heaven help us with teaching still sounding like when I was at school a million years ago.

But....nihil desperandum! We'll all just keep going because Italian is just too lovely a language to miss out on. Coraggio, Stefano - you'll get there too!
http://www.susangirellihill.eu
Italian and English language services
Find me on Facebook: Susan Girelli Hill
Tweet me @SGirelliHill
Linkedin: Susan Girelli Hill

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Pacentro08 wrote:
But....nihil desperandum! We'll all just keep going because Italian is just too lovely a language to miss out on. Coraggio, Stefano - you'll get there too!
Anche in Gran Bretagna si usano i latinismi ? cool :)
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Pacentro08

Post by Pacentro08 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Anche se i romani non sono arrivati dalle mie parti (intendo la Scozia non la Cornovaglia dove abito ora) :lol:
http://www.susangirellihill.eu
Italian and English language services
Find me on Facebook: Susan Girelli Hill
Tweet me @SGirelliHill
Linkedin: Susan Girelli Hill

Davide

Post by Davide » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 am

Pacentro08 wrote:Having read your postings on evening classes concentrating on the written language I'm appalled. There's an argument for doing written work if it's an exam class and I know a lot of centres tried to get round the low numbers and funding issue by making classes exam courses, but I thought even that had stopped last century.

I shouldn't be surprised though as I've just had someone book to come on one of the summer courses in Abruzzo who told me that in her first class back after Christmas she only said 10 words in two hours. I thought that was just a one-off, but clearly not. The Brits have such a bad reputation for learning languages, but heaven help us with teaching still sounding like when I was at school a million years ago.

I have to admit I too was surprised and dismayed to hear that modern day language courses (those that still exist, that is!) are still concentrating on writing the language rather than speaking it. Almost every published language course these days takes a communicative format with an emphasis on using the language in a practical manner. It always angers me that the government stresses the importance of learning a foreign language, but then pays lip service when it comes to putting this into practice (making a second language no longer compulsory in our schools is just one example). It's true that in this country, we have a terrible reputation as foreign language speakers, not because of a lack of inherent ability, but because of a lack of opportunities to learn them. An example: at my local college of FE there is not ONE foreign language available as an evening class OR for full time students as a GSCE/A Level.
I could go on and on about this topic, but then I'd get REALLY mad :evil:

Please identify yourself first before you add me.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:55 am

Perhaps I should clarify that in doing the GCSE course clearly there was conversation and that teacher - a brilliant lady from near Caserta, who is now a very dear friend - did encourage people to talk; we had to do a conversation piece in the exam, after all. But again, there was a lot of written work. A problem I've always had is that I'm a bit mutt 'n' jeff, so have always had problems with catching what people say. :)

However, I stand by what I said regarding the emphasis on one skill over another, even in the more modern unit-based courses.

maelström

Post by maelström » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:58 pm

ladybird wrote:Looks like I was way off course with my attempts!
Not really! Your construction is correct:
"Gli abbonamenti per questi stazioni sono molto costosi/cari"
The noun "stazione" is feminine; its plural is "stazioni": "queste stazioni". The term "stazioni", however, doesn't usually refer to television networks, but to radio stations. You might probably say "l'abbonamento per questi canali". The word "canale" is used by Sky themselves to refer to their commercial offers.

"il calcio in diretta puó essere anche costoso/caro."
Note that, in Italian, there's a difference between grave and acute accents on either "e" or "o". The difference should influence pronunciation, too. The correct spelling is "può" (grave accent). The expression "in diretta" is not wrong, but it is a bit ambiguous: it can refer to either a live show or a live broadcast. The expression "dal vivo" means that you are there, at the stadium. "Ieri sera ho visto la partita in diretta" (I wasn't at the stadium; it was just a live broadcast).

"Qualche associazione di calcio fa pagare di tra 40 e 50 euro per il biglietto d'ingresso, non sono sicura come le persone possono permettersi di pagarlo!"
The particle "di" is not needed. The expression "non sono sicura" is best replaced by "mi chiedo" (I wonder) and subjunctive must follow, of course: "mi chiedo come le persone possAno"

As you can see, you made just a few mistakes!

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks Luca and Maelstrom for the kind comments, you have helped my self esteem no end! I haven't attended classes for nearly 3 years and have forgotten so much it's embarrassing not to mention demoralising.

I will have to look into getting the correct accents for the keyboard Maelstrom, I sure there were some posts about it in the past.

A quick note to Davide..on the day I took my written GCSE, my tutor was informed that she was to be made redundant less than two months later. Our college in Lambeth provided evening classes to GCSE/A level standard in Italian, French and Spanish, these classes were scrapped and 3 wonderful teachers lost their jobs. Makes me mad too :evil:
Life is for living and learning.

stefano2

Post by stefano2 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi guys with the help of the ladybird above this is what i finally sent thanks for everones help will invest in grammer book soon

Molte persone guardano lo sport sulla televisione via satellite come sky.

Gli abbonamenti per questi canali sono molto cari, Calcio dal vivo anche può darsi caro

Qaulche Associazione sportive fanno pargare di tra l’ 40 e l’ 90 euro per l’ingresso.

Non sicuro come hanno il denaro. Devono ne’ mangiare ne bere.

Praticare sport, però e’ spesso gratuito o al meno non abberstanza cara

A calci una palla è divertente with i suoi amici

secondo me sport non e’ un lusso
Inglese più difettoso italiano difettoso

MontignyFernand

Re:

Post by MontignyFernand » Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 am

maelström wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm
Molte persone guardano lo sport sulla televisione via satellite come sky.
Queste aziende ["stazioni" is only used for physically broadcasting radio/TV stations] vendono abbonamenti abbastanza cari, ma anche vedere il calcio dal vivo può costare.
Alcune associazioni sportive fanno pagare l'ingresso [allo stadio] tra i 40 e i 90 euro.
Non so proprio come certa gente possa permettersi di pagare [quella cifra]!
Penso che rinuncino a mangiare e bere!
"The game must have carolies"???. Praticare sport, però, è spesso gratuito o comunque non caro.
Prendere a calci una palla [or, more freely: dare due calci ad un pallone] con dei bambini o coi tuoi amici è divertente!
Caro maelström, sono completamente d'accordo con te. la nostra intenzione dovrebbe essere massimizzare utilmente. non dobbiamo pagare centinaia di euro per quei canali. meglio guardare una partita localmente condividendo una rete. il tuo concetto è perfetto. grazie per il vostro interesse.