Translation: è stato battezzato trasferimento distributivo

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Joaquin

Translation: è stato battezzato trasferimento distributivo

Post by Joaquin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Ciao, This is from the Le Scienze website. I'm not quite sure how to translate this, could someone help?

Scoperto uno scambio di materiale genetico tra batteri diversi della stessa specie che è stato battezzato trasferimento distributivo per coniugazione, una via di mezzo tra riproduzione asessuata e quella sessuata.

My attempt...
A discovery was made concerning the exchange of genetic material between different bacteria of the same species that
was "baptized" .....by conjugation, a method of reproduction between asexual and sexual.

grazie :D
Joaquin

Quintus

Re:Translation: è stato battezzato trasferimento distributiv

Post by Quintus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Joaquin wrote:Ciao, This is from the Le Scienze website. I'm not quite sure how to translate this, could someone help?

Scoperto uno scambio di materiale genetico tra batteri diversi della stessa specie che è stato battezzato trasferimento distributivo per coniugazione, una via di mezzo tra riproduzione asessuata e quella sessuata.

My attempt...
A discovery was made concerning the exchange of genetic material between different bacteria of the same species that was "baptized" .....by conjugation, a method of reproduction between asexual and sexual.

grazie :D
Joaquin
Your translation looks correct to me:

A discovery was made concerning the exchange of genetic material between different bacteria of the same species that was given the name of distribution transfer by conjugation, a method of reproduction between asexual and sexual.

Distributivo could be "distributive" (Collins), but I have always seen it translated to English by a cluster, i.e. distribution + noun, at least in Electronics. Sometimes also in Italian: trasferimento di distribuzione per coniugazione, non c'è molta differenza. I nomi delle scoperte scientifiche sono spesso piuttosto "stretched".

But it's Itikar who specializes in these matters. Let's see if he appears.

Quintus

-

calum

Re: Translation: è stato battezzato trasferimento distributi

Post by calum » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am

Joaquin wrote:Ciao, This is from the Le Scienze website. I'm not quite sure how to translate this, could someone help?

My attempt...
A discovery was made concerning the exchange of genetic material between different bacteria of the same species that
was "baptized" .....by conjugation, a method of reproduction between asexual and sexual.

grazie
Joaquin

Ciao Joauqin,

here's my offer:

"...which has been christened distributive conjugal transfer, a cross between asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction."

or

"...which has been dubbed distributive conjugal transfer, a cross between asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction."

Edited to add: I think via di mezzo might be better translated as 'halfway between'.

Calum

Joaquin

Re: Translation: è stato battezzato trasferimento distributi

Post by Joaquin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks calum and Quintus, I guess what really threw me off was "e' stato battezzato" :oops: It didn't occur
to me that it could also mean "christened" or "dubbed".

thanks again
Joaquin