Differenza fra bene e buon

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
titan

Differenza fra bene e buon

Post by titan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Ciao tutti

Ho una domanda di nuovo. Questo differenza "bene" o "buon".
Per esempio:

Voi, tu e tua moglie siete gli mio buon amico
Voi, tu e tua moglie siete gli mio amico bene.

Geoff

Re: Differenza fra bene e buon

Post by Geoff » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 am

Bene is an adverb meaning "well" and buono is an adjective ("good"). In this case you wish to say that they are good friends so you want an adjective.

My Italian is getting a bit rusty as I have been studying Spanish for a while but I think the correct sentence is:

Voi, tu e tua moglie siete i miei buoni amici.

Pinzinzinio

Re: Differenza fra bene e buon

Post by Pinzinzinio » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 am

titan wrote:Ciao tutti

Ho una domanda di nuovo. Questo differenza "bene" o "buon".
Per esempio:

Voi, tu e tua moglie siete gli mio buon amico
Voi, tu e tua moglie siete gli mio amico bene.
Ciao Aida. The first sentence is the correct one. It should be: Voi, tu e tua moglie, siete (i) miei buoni amici. "Buono" is an adjective and as such it is used to add further information to the information carried by a noun, that is "amici" in this case. "Buono", which is "good" in English, is used in many circumstances in place of more specific adjectives.

For example, "buono" is used

-> for appetitoso - appetizing - iştahaaçan:
questo cibo è buono - this food is good - bu xöræk yaxşı

-> for efficiente, potente - efficient, powerful - işbacaran, qüvvətli
il motore della tua automobile è molto buono - the engine of your car is very good - sizin avtomobil mühərrik çox yaxşı

-> for interessante, valido - interesting, valuable - maraqlı, dæyærli
Ho letto molti buoni libri - I read a lot of good books - mən çoxlu yaxşı oxumaq kitab

-> for "di valore" (for a person) - worthy - layiqli
Una persona di valore - a worthy person - layiqli adam

But please notice:

Tu sei un buon(o) amico (for one man) - you are a good friend - sən yaxşı bir dost
Tu sei una buona amica (for one woman) - you are a good girl-friend - sən yaxşı bir baciliq
Voi siete buoni amici (for many men or men and women together) - you are good friends - siz yaxşı dost
Voi siete buone amiche (for many women) - you are good friends (girl-friends) - siz yaxşı dost

My understanding is that when a singular word stands for things in general, the plural noun in English/Italian is translated as a singular in Azeri. If I am correct, the Azeri predicate would seem to work as a unique marker of quality, so that both the sentences "sei un buon amico" and "siete buoni amici" (that hopefully translate to "sən yaxşı dost" and "siz yaxşı dost") use "yaxşı dost" as a singular, invariant number predicate. This could explain why you used a plural subject in your sentence (Voi, tu e tua moglie) but expressed the predicate "mio buon amico" in the singular form "yaxşı dost". In Italian, when you have a plural subject, the plural form "miei buoni amici" is to be used even for predicates. In other words things should work as if one were allowed to append the "lar" ending even to "yaxşı dost", which would lead to: "siz yaxşılar dostlar". Excuse me for this horrible example, but it might be better than say nothing, and the grammar I found on the net is a poor thing.

As for "bene", it is an adverb and you can use it to add further information to the information carried by a verb. "Bene" translates to "well", but it is rendered by "good", or other ways, in many English expressions. Here's some examples:

bene! - well! - baa!
va bene! - it's okay!, all right! - yaxşı! olmaq: qoy belæ olsun!
ben fatto! - well done! - barakallah!
sto bene - I am in good health/I am doing well - mən yaxşı sağlamlıq am
sto poco bene - I'm not very well - mən çox yaxşı deyiləm
tu parli bene l'italiano - you speak Italian well/you speak good Italian - siz İtalyan yaxşı danışmaq
Luisa parla bene di te - Luisa speaks well of you - Luisa anmaq yaxşı sən
se ricordo bene (or, se ben ricordo) - if I remember correctly - mən düzgün yadda əgər
chiudi bene la porta - close the door properly - düzgün qapını bağlayın
so molto bene che tu non puoi uscire - I know very well you can't get out - siz çıxmaq bilməz çox yaxşı bilirəm

"bene" is sometimes also used as a noun:

il bene e il male - The Good and The Bad - yaxşı və pis
è stato un bene - it was a good thing - bu yaxşı bir şey idi

As a last note, the meaning of your sentence "Voi, tu e tua moglie, siete miei buoni amici" is the common "you and your wife are good friends", which should hopefully translate to "sən və sizin həyat yoldaşı mənim yaxşı dost", and this probably was what you had in mind.

But if you use the article "i", "Voi, tu e tua moglie, siete i miei buoni amici", your sentence takes the sense of "you and your wife are the best friends of mine", or even "you and your wife are my good friends, the good ones, the ones I prefer", as opposed to all the other friends that aren't supposed to be as good as the ones formerly mentioned, "sən və sizin həyat yoldaşı, mina ən yaxşı dost". E' per questo che all'inizio di questo messaggio ho messo l'articolo in parentesi. I had to say this to you, ma il mio consiglio è di non perdere troppo tempo con queste sfumature finché sei nella fase di primo approccio alla lingua. Should the articles be a problem for you while approaching the language, my advise would be to completely skip translating them.