appeso and appese/appesi

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
zollen

appeso and appese/appesi

Post by zollen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Are the following two sentences both valid?
Il quadro sono appeso
Il quadro sono stato appeso
Is the word stato optional for most cases?

Sweetcheeks Malone

Re: appeso and appese/appesi

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I believe it would be, "Il quadro è appeso" for present (i.e. "the painting is hung") and, "Il quadro è stato appeso" ("...was hung") for a past, singular event. Maybe "Il quadro era appeso" if describing a place and setting a scene?

I'm not Italian, though, so I'd wait for confirmation, especially on that last part. "Stato" is the singular, masculine past participle of stare and couldn't go with "sono" unless you were referring to a single masculine object (that doesn't sound brilliant, does it :P). If you were referring to several paintings, you'd say, "I quadri sono stati appesi".

Lollo

Post by Lollo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Sweetcheeks Malone wrote:I believe it would be, "Il quadro è appeso" for present (i.e. "the painting is hung") and, "Il quadro è stato appeso" ("...was hung") for a past, singular event. Maybe "Il quadro era appeso" if describing a place and setting a scene?

I'm not Italian, though, so I'd wait for confirmation, especially on that last part. "Stato" is the singular, masculine past participle of stare and couldn't go with "sono" unless you were referring to a single masculine object (that doesn't sound brilliant, does it :P). If you were referring to several paintings, you'd say, "I quadri sono stati appesi".
Yes, that's true...' Il quadro è appeso' means that 'the painting is hung' and 'il quadro è stato appeso' is the past of that verb, so means that the 'painting was hung' but also, more appropriately, that 'the painting has been hung', because we have the effect of the action in the present (someone hung the painting in the past, but now we can see that the painting is hung) ...

'Il quadro era appeso' is used to describe that there was a hung painting ( in a place ,...) in the past and the best translation is 'the painting was hung'... (I.e. 'Il quadro era appeso in salotto, prima che lo vendessimo', 'before selling it, the painting was hung in the sitting room).

'Stato' is the past participle of be (and also of 'stay') and if you want to use it with sono, you need a singular name in the first person .. e.g.: 'Sono stato (io) al mare' (I went/have been to the seaside) ... :wink:

'Source': I'm Italian

Sweetcheeks Malone

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Lollo wrote:'Source': I'm Italian
Thank you for the explanation, Mr/Ms Italian. :wink: :D

Lollo

Post by Lollo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm

You're welcome...

(Ps: Mr 8) )