avermi fatto?

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
zollen

avermi fatto?

Post by zollen » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Grazie per avermi chiamato!
I understood the following at the present form.

Grazie per aiutami

I guess what confused me was that the mi could be appended at the end of avere, just like other verbs in past tense...

Any thoughts?

Peter

Re: avermi fatto?

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm

zollen wrote:

Grazie per aiutami

I guess what confused me was that the mi could be appended at the end of avere, just like other verbs in past tense...

Any thoughts?
Ciao zollen

In a sentence like this the pronoun is always attached to the end of the auxiliary verb (i.e. essere or avere). Clearly, it cannot be attached to the end of the past participle of the main verb.

I am not understanding 'just like other verbs in the past tense'. Can you clarify what you mean? :)

zollen

Post by zollen » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I understood now. It is just another rule I have to memorize.

Peter wrote:
zollen wrote:

Grazie per aiutami

Any thoughts?
Ciao zollen

In a sentence like this the pronoun is always attached to the end of the auxiliary verb (i.e. essere or avere). Clearly, it cannot be attached to the end of the past participle of the main verb.

I am not understanding 'just like other verbs in the past tense'. Can you clarify what you mean? :)

Geoff

Post by Geoff » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:06 am

Zollen, I am not sure about this sentence:

Grazie per aiutami

My Italian is a bit rusty but I don't think you can attach pronouns to an indicative form of the verb like that. You can attach them to a second person imperative (Aiutami! or Aiutatemi! = Help me!) but your sentence is in the indicative mood, not the imperative.

zollen

Post by zollen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:30 am

Geoff wrote:Zollen, I am not sure about this sentence:

Grazie per aiutami

My Italian is a bit rusty but I don't think you can attach pronouns to an indicative form of the verb like that. You can attach them to a second person imperative (Aiutami! or Aiutatemi! = Help me!) but your sentence is in the indicative mood, not the imperative.
Thanks for pointing that out. I think I made a mistake.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am

zollen wrote:
Geoff wrote:Zollen, I am not sure about this sentence:

Grazie per aiutami

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I made a mistake.
Sorry, zollen - I overlooked that. Geoff is correct in saying that you cannot in this context say aiutami. However, the sentence would read correctly if you said: Grazie per aiutarmi - or, to avoid any confusion (!) - Grazie per il tuo aiuto.

Ilvia

Post by Ilvia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Ciao a tutti!
Also "grazie per aiutarmi" is wrong, while "grazie per avermi aiutato", "ti ringrazio per l'aiuto", "grazie per il tuo aiuto" are correct.

-mi is used at the and of an infinitive verb instead of "me". "aiutare me" = "aiutarmi" ("aiutare me" is not used in italian).
You can also say "puoi aiutarmi?", "Can you help me?".

I hope my english is understandable :)
if it isn't, I can explain it in italian.
Ilvia
Per favore, correggete le mie frasi in inglese quando sono sbagliate :) Anche se si tratta di errori piccoli, non mi offenderò!!
Please, correct my English sentences when they are wrong :) Also if there are small errors, I will not take offence!!