Conjugating mangiare

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Alireza

Conjugating mangiare

Post by Alireza » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello,

Is it correct to say:
mangio to mean I eat
Mangia to mean he eats,she eats,you eat ?

Or we should say :
Mangio to mean I eat and:
mangi for you eat and mangia for he,she eats.

in other word, is it correct to use "o" for I with "-are" verbs, and "a" or "e" for he, she, with other verbs?
As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a person's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool to torture or an instrument of inspiration

jade

Re: A question

Post by jade » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:42 am

Alireza wrote:Hello,

Is it correct to say:
mangio to mean I eat
Mangia to mean he eats,she eats,you eat ?

Or we should say :
Mangio to mean I eat and:
mangi for you eat and mangia for he,she eats.

in other word, is it correct to use "o" for I with "-are" verbs, and "a" or "e" for he, she, with other verbs?
Hi Alireza,

Mangio is for first person singular, so mangio means I eat
Mangi is for second person singular, but it has to be informal way, the subject is "Tu", so mangi means You eat, but informal
Mangia is for third person singular, so mangia means either he eats or she eats

However, in Italian, sometimes you need to use formal way, the formal way for "You" is Lei instead of Tu, in this case, you need to use Mangia for Lei, so in formal way, Lei mangia also means You eat. The verb is as same as the one for third person singular, I guess it is a bit of confusing. However, when you should be in formal way but you were in informal way, that is disrespectful. For example, when you speak with a stranger, you need to address him/her in formal way to be polite.

In the section of "Lezioni gratuite" you might find many links are very useful.

Alireza

Re: A question

Post by Alireza » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Grazie mille!
As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a person's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool to torture or an instrument of inspiration