Puoi aiutarmi?

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Muscolino

Puoi aiutarmi?

Post by Muscolino » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Salve,

I'm Pete - half Italian - used to be a really competent speaker when I was younger, but living in the UK has diminished my confidence a little!
I hope this forum can help sharpen my Italian again!

I was wondering if someone could help me with something.

I would like to send a card to a friend of mine who I haven't seen in a long time, what would be the best way to put the following message across;

'Hi Francesca, me and Jake miss you a lot - we talk about you every day...

* (now bear with me, this next bit is strange but has sentimental meaning to us...) *

Remember, there's a door that you can walk through where there used to be a wall...

Love,

Pete'

Please help! Francesca is on my level, half Italian, better at understanding than putting together sentences!

Grazie mille,

Pete

calum

Re: Puoi aiutarmi?

Post by calum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

Could you make an attempt at this yourself first? It's a better way to learn since it
  • a) forces you to use your Italian vocabulary,
    b) makes understanding any errors in word usage and sentence construction easier for you.
Could you also explain what the final phrase of your message means? Not necessarily revealing anything personal, just an idea of what message you're trying to convey. The trouble with these unusual expressions is that they often don't translate well and a word-for-word translation rarely makes any sense.

regards,
Calum

Muscolino

Post by Muscolino » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Okay, here goes...

Ciao Francesca, io e Jake manchiamo tanto, noi parliamo di te ogni giorno.

(The next bit is a song lyric, a memory which will hopefully bring a smile to her face...)

Ricordi, c'e una porta che puoi entrare, dove c'e prima un muro.

Con affetto,

Pete

Ok, how did I do?

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am

Muscolino wrote:Okay, here goes...

Ciao Francesca, io e Jake manchiamo tanto, noi parliamo di te ogni giorno.

(The next bit is a song lyric, a memory which will hopefully bring a smile to her face...)

Ricordi, c'e una porta che puoi entrare, dove c'e prima un muro.

Con affetto,

Pete

Ok, how did I do?

ciao Pete - not bad! However…

When you say you miss someone, you have to twist it round to effectively say 'you are missing to me'. In other words you have to use the reflexive form of the verb mancare, which mancarsi. So I miss you in italian is mi manchi, we miss you is ci manchi. Mi and ci are indirect object pronouns.

The only other thing I would mention is that you should perhaps use the imperfect tense of essere - dove c'era un muro.

As Calum said, there is often a risk of being too literal - that what we say in English may be said in a different way in Italian. However, I would think you're OK with what you have written; I cannot see that it would be written differently in Italian.

So, overall, well done. Doing it yourself in this way is far more helpful to you than hoping someone will provide you with the answer, particularly if there is no accompanying explanation!! :)

A proposito, benvenuto!

calum

Post by calum » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Peter's explanation of how to use 'ci manchi' is correct (although there's no verb mancarsi, it's mancare and operates in the same fashion as piacere i.e. with an inverted sentence structure).

My attempt at your note would be along the lines of:

Ciao Francesca, ci manchi tanto io e Jake, parliamo di te ogni giorno.
Ricorda, c'è una porta che tu puoi entrare dove (solitamente) c'era un muro.

You could substitute attraversare or oltrepassare for entrare, I'm not sure of the different nuances so I'd wait for confirmation/correction by a native speaker. While the imperfect c'era gives the notion of something that used to be, you could emphasise it by adding solitamente to the phrase.

One final note; I've changed ricordi to ricorda because that's the 2nd person singular imperative of ricordare.

In any case, it's clear you don't need much to polish up your Italian. Well done!

regards,
Calum

Muscolino

Post by Muscolino » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Grazie ragazzi!! :)