Why ci??

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
nadger99

Why ci??

Post by nadger99 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi all
Trying to teach myself this wonderful language. Thought I was getting somewhere but have become perplexed:
Simply, I wanted to send a message saying "We are missing Sorrento". Now, referring to my (several) grammar books, I engineered the phrase as Manchiamo Sorrento and Stiamo mancando Sorrrento as and alternative. However, I have been told it should be Ci manca Sorrento.

Now, I thought Ci was an object pronoun ("us"), so I don't understand why that would be used when I want to say "we" and and I don't understand how manca is derived from mancare

Molto confuso!!

I'd be really grateful for some help.

Grazie!

calum

Re: Why ci??

Post by calum » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi nadger99,

if you've already learned how to use the verb piacere, this construction will be familiar to you.

In the sentence "Ci manca Sorrento", the ci is being used as an indirect object pronoun and means 'to us' rather than 'we'(see this lessonwritten by Peter). The literal translation of it is 'To us Sorrento is missing/lacking'.

Have a read at this thread, which should explain things fully for you but if you've still got questions please ask.

Calum

PS I've edited your title from Why Voi? to Why ci?

nadger99

Re: Why ci??

Post by nadger99 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Ciao Calum!
Grazie mille!

It's a tricky verb but having read the links, I realise it's not just me going crazy!

Ciao!