Barbara Reynolds

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
TomPalermo

Barbara Reynolds

Post by TomPalermo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:33 pm

Hello,

I'm familiarising myself with Barbara Reynolds' Italian Dictionary however have come up against a section on diacritic marks that I would like understand.

I understand what a mid-point is, noting that the main stress or tonic accent falls on the preceding syllable as opposed to the penultimate syllable of the word. However I'm finding the explanation of what exactly a Sub-dot is harder to grasp, in part I think because of my lack of understanding with regards to what a close vowel is despite having tried to find out.

The description reads as follows:

Sub-dot (a) appearing under e or o indicates that the vowel is close. e and o are marked thus only when they bear the main stress, since unstressed e or o is always close. The sub-dot appearing under e or o therefore serves two purposes: (i) it shows that the vowel so marked bears the main stress; (ii) it shows that the vowel is close, for example rispondere (shown with a sub-dot beneath o) (in which the vowel o bears the main stress and is close). Cf. co.gliere (in which o bears the main stress and is open).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.