Un il negozio??

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Alan Newcastle

Un il negozio??

Post by Alan Newcastle » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:58 pm

I believe that "il negozio di frutta e verdura" can be used to describe a fruit and vegetable shop. My limited understanding of italian suggest that to say 'my sister Maria now has a fruit and vegetable shop' I would say, "mia sorella maria adesso ha il negozio di frutta e verdura". But the lack of an indefinite article before 'il' does not look right!

Helpful advice required!

Cheers!

DarkWillow

Re: Un il negozio??

Post by DarkWillow » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:45 am

Alan Newcastle wrote:I believe that "il negozio di frutta e verdura" can be used to describe a fruit and vegetable shop. My limited understanding of italian suggest that to say 'my sister Maria now has a fruit and vegetable shop' I would say, "mia sorella maria adesso ha il negozio di frutta e verdura". But the lack of an indefinite article before 'il' does not look right!

Helpful advice required!

Cheers!

Yes, it's right. "Negozio di frutta e verdura" is perfect. You also could hear "Fruttivendolo" that is totally the same.
You should say "Mia sorella desso ha UN negozio di frutta e verdura". The reason is that your sister is the owner of a greengrocer, but one greengrocer not the only one in the world, so you need the "UN" (articolo indeterminativo maschile). :)

Alan Newcastle

Re: Un il negozio??

Post by Alan Newcastle » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:31 pm

grazie molto.