My Italian Class Assignment

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
jacobsonrylee

My Italian Class Assignment

Post by jacobsonrylee » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:07 am

Could I please have help proof-reading this paragraph? Let me know if there's any questions in what I mean. Also I have only learned passatto promisso for past tense, so that it how I am writing this.

Durante la mia ultima vacanze, mia famiglia siamo andata a un resort sulla sponda del lago. Questa viaggia è stata un saluto per mia sorella Han, chi è stata tornare al Corea del Sud. Noi ha dormita due notte. Mia nonna è unita noi andare in barca. La città si chiama “Chelan.” A Chelan, noi ha mangiata la pizza. È stato un tempo triste perché noi ha parlata arrivederci a nostra sorella e figlia.

Peter

Re: My Italian Class Assignment

Post by Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi Jacob, happy to help, so I hope you can understand my amendments and explanations.
jacobsonrylee wrote:Could I please have help proof-reading this paragraph? Let me know if there's any questions in what I mean. Also I have only learned passato prossimo for past tense, so that it how I am writing this.

Durante la mia ultima vacanze, la mia famiglia è andata (see note 1 below) a un resort sulla sponda del lago. Questo viaggio è stato (viaggio is masculine) un saluto per mia sorella Han, che (see note 2 below) è stata tornare al Corea del Sud. Noi ha dormita due notte. (see note 3 and 4 below) Mia nonna è unita noi andare in barca. La città si chiama “Chelan.” A Chelan, noi ha mangiata (see note 4 below) la pizza. È stato un tempo triste perché noi ha parlata (see notes 4 and 5 below) arrivederci a nostra sorella e figlia.
Note 1: Mia famiglia is singular and feminine. Andare also takes essere, not avere. So, you must say la mia famiglia è andata...

Note 2: You can only use chi when asking a question. For example, chi parla? Who is speaking; Chi è? Who is it? Otherwise you must use che.

Note 3: I am not sure what you are trying to say here. If the intention is to say how long you stayed at the resort, then it is better to say siamo rimasti (rimanere takes essere).

Note 4: Noi ha dormita/noi ha mangiata/noi ha parlata. There is no need to use the personal pronoun noi. Because you are referring to 'us', then you must use the first person plural (or the 4th person as it is also referred to) of the verb avere. Also, in the vast majority of cases the past participle ends in -o, not -a. So, you should say: abbiamo dormito/abbiamo mangiato/abbiamo parlato.

Note 5: Regarding which verb to use here, I think it is better to use dire. Parlare means to speak, dire means to tell or say. Dire takes the preposition a. So, you can say abbiamo detto arrivederci a Han (which is simpler than nostra sorella e figlia!).

I think you need to look again at how the passato prossimo is formed, particularly which auxiliary verb (essere or avere) the main verb takes. It is also essential that you appreciate the difference in the conjugation of the passato prossimo. Simple enough when using avere, but when using essere, the past participle of the main verb must agree in number and gender with the subject of the sentence. Have a read of the Verbs section in Lezioni Gratuite and other resources as well.

Hope this helps. Any problems, questions, let me know.

Dylan Thomas

Re: My Italian Class Assignment

Post by Dylan Thomas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi Jacob.
I’m aware it might be too late but I hope it helps anyway.

Durante la mia ultima vacanza [“vacanze” is plural], io e la mia famiglia / la mia famiglia ed io [I think you too went with your family, so you should add “io” at the beginning of the phrase or “ed io” at the end of it; either is fine] siamo andati [a plural masculine participle is needed here; “andata” is singular and feminine: e.g. “la mia famiglia è andata” / “Han è andata”] in [I think it’s better than “a”] un resort sulla sponda del lago.
Lo scopo del viaggio era di salutare mia sorella Han [I had to rewrite the entire sentence; the one you wrote does not make much sense], che doveva tornare nella Corea del Sud . Abbiamo dormito due notti. [see note below] Mia nonna si è unita a noi [“andare in barca” is not very clear: maybe “si è unita a noi per raggiungere Chelan in barca”]. La città si chiama Chelan. A Chelan, [noi: see Peter’s note] abbiamo mangiato la pizza. E’ stato un momento [not “tempo”, which is a much longer period of time] triste perché abbiamo dovuto dare l’arrivederci a Han [Peter’s remark is correct.]

Note: I would write, “Abbiamo trascorso due giorni (e due notti) nel resort”.

DT