how to conjugate this expression

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
kriszti823

how to conjugate this expression

Postby kriszti823 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Hello,
I am trying to learn Italian from different sources and currently I am 'analyzing' subtitles in Italian. I came across the subtitle of the last Terminator movie and there is this sentence:
'Le persone parlano di John e si chiedono come faccia a sapere tante cose'. (The people talked / were talking about John and asked themselves how come that he knows so many things.) Or at least, this is how I understand it, if it's wrong, please correct me.
I don't know this expression though: faccia a sapere. I understand what it means here, I just don't know in what kind of tense is the verb 'fare'. How can it be conjugated? Faccio a sapere, fai a sapere, fa a sapere etc.?
I'd love to understand it completely.
Thank you for your help!
(sorry, if I made some mistakes, English is not my native language)

Geoff

Re: how to conjugate this expression

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:54 am

I would translate it as "People speak of John and ask themselves how he comes to know so many things."

Faccia is the present tense in the subjunctive (congiuntivo in Italian) mood (io/tu/lui/ley faccia, noi facciamo, voi facciate, loro facciano). The congiuntivo is too wide a topic to go into in detail here and not one that you would normally come across in the early stages of learning the language. It is used instead of the normal, indicative mood to express opinion, emotion and uncertainty. I think its usage here is because the sentence contains an indirect question, a situation that formally requires the congiuntivo although it is often not used in spoken Italian in this case.

kriszti823

Re: how to conjugate this expression

Postby kriszti823 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Geoff,
Thanks a lot, it was very helpful:)

Return to “Vocabolario e grammatica”