Thank you to host family

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
RachelCMuir

Thank you to host family

Post by RachelCMuir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to write a thank you letter to my exchange partner and her family who I stayed with in Sicily last month. I speak no Italian but thought it would be nicer to try and write a note in their language!

Here's the attempt which I admit is 90% google translate but please can anyone suggest how to improve it (I'm pretty sure I'm using the singular instead of plural at times but didn't know how to change it):

Cari Aurora, Elena, Giovanni e Raffael
Grazie mille a tutti per avermi ospitato. La vostra ospitalità è stata molto gentile e il cibo è stato fantastico! Sono stato benissimo a Ragusa e mi piacerebbe visitare nuovamente la Sicilia un giorno.
Grazie per tutto! Statemi bene!
Rachel xx
p.s. Sei sempre il benvenuto se sei mai in Inghilterra!

Thanks in advance :)

Peter

Re: Thank you to host family

Post by Peter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Ciao Rachel,

On the face of it there does not appear to be too much wrong, but I'll take a longer look later this evening. What concerns me is what you are trying to say with sono stato benissimo a Ragusa. Other than that, all I can say is where better than Sicily to stay!

RachelCMuir

Post by RachelCMuir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Grazie Peter!

I just wanted to say something like 'I had a fantastic time in Ragusa and would love to visit Sicily again one day'. And yes I'd never been to Italy before but it certainly gave me a good first impression!

Thanks again,
Rachel

calum

Post by calum » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm

RachelCMuir wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:05 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to write a thank you letter to my exchange partner and her family who I stayed with in Sicily last month. I speak no Italian but thought it would be nicer to try and write a note in their language!

Here's the attempt which I admit is 90% google translate but please can anyone suggest how to improve it (I'm pretty sure I'm using the singular instead of plural at times but didn't know how to change it):

Cari Aurora, Elena, Giovanni e Raffael
Grazie mille a tutti per avermi ospitato. La vostra ospitalità è stata molto gentile e il cibo è stato fantastico! Sono stato benissimo a Ragusa e mi piacerebbe visitare nuovamente la Sicilia un giorno.
Grazie per tutto! Statemi bene!
Rachel xx
p.s. Sei sempre il benvenuto se sei mai in Inghilterra!

Thanks in advance :)
Hi Rachel,

could you write your message in English too, so that your intended meaning is clear?

Dylan Thomas

Post by Dylan Thomas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Rachel.

Let’s see:

“ospitato” should be “ospitata” (unless “Rachel” is a masculine name):
“la vostra ospitalità è stata molto gentile” does not make much sense. I would say, “ho molto apprezzato la vostra ospitalità” or “siete stati gentilissimi”;
“il cibo è stato” is not technically wrong, but I would say, “il cibo era”;
“stato” should be “stata” (please see above);
“sei sempre il benvenuto se sei mai in Inghilterra” should be, “sarete sempre i benvenuti se un giorno verrete in Inghilterra” (I guess you are referring to Aurora, Elena, Giovanni e Raffael).

DT

RachelCMuir

Post by RachelCMuir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:52 pm

calum wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm
Hi Rachel,

could you write your message in English too, so that your intended meaning is clear?
[/quote]

Dear Aurora, Elena, Giovanni and Raffaele,

Thank you so much for having me to stay. Your hospitality was so kind and the food was fantastic! I had an amazing time in Ragusa and I would love to go back to Sicily again one day.

Thank you for everything. Take care.

Rachel.

p.s. you'll always be welcome if you ever find yourself in England.

Something along those lines Callum. Thanks for the help.

RachelCMuir

Post by RachelCMuir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Dylan Thomas wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm
Hi Rachel.

Let’s see:

“ospitato” should be “ospitata” (unless “Rachel” is a masculine name):
“la vostra ospitalità è stata molto gentile” does not make much sense. I would say, “ho molto apprezzato la vostra ospitalità” or “siete stati gentilissimi”;
“il cibo è stato” is not technically wrong, but I would say, “il cibo era”;
“stato” should be “stata” (please see above);
“sei sempre il benvenuto se sei mai in Inghilterra” should be, “sarete sempre i benvenuti se un giorno verrete in Inghilterra” (I guess you are referring to Aurora, Elena, Giovanni e Raffael).

DT
Grazie mille Dylan! I knew that I probably hadn't agreed it to my gender so thank you for correcting that :)

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi Rachel, sorry I have not got back to you but I got a little distracted by some interesting music videos on YouTube. I really cannot add anything to what Dylan has said.

No doubt, like me, you want to return to Sicily sooner rather than later! :D :D

RachelCMuir

Post by RachelCMuir » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:19 am

Peter wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:18 pm
Hi Rachel, sorry I have not got back to you but I got a little distracted by some interesting music videos on YouTube. I really cannot add anything to what Dylan has said.

No doubt, like me, you want to return to Sicily sooner rather than later! :D :D
No problem yes I'm going to use Dylan's help and write it out today! Definitely!