Very cheeky but I must get it right!

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Jon.nolan

Very cheeky but I must get it right!

Post by Jon.nolan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:15 am

Hello!

I must first apologise as this is a request for help!
I run a small classic car business Kelbrook classics.co.uk
and I have to make a new aluminium dash board for a great little Ferrari replica! My customer wants some words engraving below the lights and switches and I want to make sure I get them right!!
I realise you could have great fun with this and tell me the word for banana instead of ignition and giraffe instead of indicator but I'm going to put my faith in humanity!
So here goes...
This is what I think they are, remember it's a 1950's Ferrari so if you know the old fashioned names that would have been on the dashboard (other than hazard warning lights!!) I'd very much like your opinion.
All I can offer in return is tea and cake if you're ever passing 😂😆😂

OIL OLIO
TURN. SVOLTA
HAZARDS. EMERGENZA!
START. AVVIARE

Are they appropriate?

Many thanks, Jon

calum

Re: Very cheeky but I must get it right!

Post by calum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Jon,

I'll do some research later this evening. Can you tell me which model it is based on please?
(Used to have a TR4A myself, so a fan of classic cars.)

calum

Post by calum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi Jon,

I’ve had a quick check of the most common terms and come up with the following list for you, which includes many items you didn’t ask for but may come in useful on future projects. Hopefully a native speaker will be able to confirm these.

fuel (petrol) = BENZINA
Oil = OLIO
oil pressure guage = INDICATORE DELLA PRESSIONE (Probably shortened to PRESSIONE on the dashboard)
water = ACQUA
temperature guage = TERMOMETRO
battery = LA BATTERIA
speed = Km/ORA {km per hour}
speedometer = INDICATORE DELLA VELOCITÀ (Probably shortened to VELOCITÀ on the dashboard) Note: speed would be displayed as Km/ORA (km per hour)
tacho or rev counter = TACHIMETRO
alternator = ALTERNATORE
coolant = LIQUIDO DI RAFFREDDAMENTO
dynamo = DINAMO
headlights = FARI
high beam = FARI ABBAGLIANTI
fog lights = FARI FENDINEBBIA
rear foglight = FARO FENDINEBBIA POSTERIORE
heated rear screen = LUNOTTO TERMICO
hazard warning lights : LUCI DI EMERGENZA (I'm pretty sure such a feature wasn't standard back then!)
windscreen wipers = I TERGICRISTALLI [PLURAL]
windscreen = IL PARABREZZA
ignition switch = INTERRUTTORE DELL'ACCENSIONE (Probably shortened to ACCENSIONE on the dashboard)
ignition key = CHIAVE DELL'ACCENSIONE
indicator = FANALE INDICATORE DI DIREZIONE but commonly referred to as LA FRECCIA (arrow), plural is LE FRECCIE
mileometer or odometer = CONTACHILOMETRI
spare wheel = LA RUOTA DI SCORTA
parking light = FARO DI STAZIONAMENTO
horn = IL CLAXON
jack = CRIC

Jon.nolan

Post by Jon.nolan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Wow! Thanks Calum. It's a replica Ferrari 166 based on a Triumph Spitfire!!
Yes I know the TR4's well, I used to run the Peerless and Warwick register (see www.peerless-gt.co.uk) Part of the TR Register.

Again, thank you, search for Kelbrook Classics on face book and you will see pictures of it 👍🏻

calum

Post by calum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Jon.nolan wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm
Wow! Thanks Calum. It's a replica Ferrari 166 based on a Triumph Spitfire!!
Yes I know the TR4's well, I used to run the Peerless and Warwick register (see www.peerless-gt.co.uk) Part of the TR Register.

Again, thank you, search for Kelbrook Classics on face book and you will see pictures of it 👍🏻
Glad to be of help, Jon.

I like the photos of your mock-up, it's looking good with the aluminium dash. If you google "cruscotto ferrari 166" you'll get lots of images of the 166 dashboard and can see the relevant terms used. They might be useful if you plan to replicate the font used too.

I was a TR Register member for many years, helping to organise the Clyde Valley Group, arranging events, club runs and visits to the various shows around the country, as well as writing the group's updates for the TR magazine. Lots of happy memories!

It'd be nice to see photos of the finished article, if you don't mind coming back when it's all done.