New member 2-10-2005

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
Reneé

New member 2-10-2005

Post by Reneé » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:43 pm

Buon giorno tutti!

I was linked to this forum from about.com's Italian language forum last nite. I never realized there were so many Italian language resources on the web until recently. I have a lifelong dream of someday becoming fluent. Up until now I've been almost completely self-taught but I hope these forums will give me the extra boost I need to learn. :)

I'm an American of Italian descent. Grandpa is from the Patola Peligna region of Italy. I'm also interested in introducing my infant son to Italian. If anyone has any tips on how to teach a baby two languages I'd love to hear them.

I guess that's it!

ciao!
Nay

(please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors)

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:17 am

Ciao Reneé, benvenuta al forum! :D

I hope we'll be able to help you in your quest to master the Italian language! I, too, am struggling with trying to raise bi-lingual children. The best advice I can give you is to expose them to the language as much as possible. I am amazed how when our 4 year old spends time in Italy or here in the U.S. with her nonna when she comes to visit, her language skills improve dramatically seemingly overnight. Then when we come home, or la nonna returns to Italy, her skills wane. I am looking into finding her a native Italian speaker babysitter or tutor so that she can be exposed to the language from other people besides me and my husband.

So, you mention you are of Italian descent. Have you ever been to Italy? Do you still have relatives there? How are you studying the language, besides using online forums? Do you take lessons? Watch Italian movies? Listen to Italian music? If yes to the last two questions, what are your favorites?

Okay, enough questions for tonight! :lol:

A presto!

--Mindy

Reneé

re:

Post by Reneé » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:47 am

Buona notte Mindy,

I've been trying to teach myself Italian for years using audio CDs and a course book. It's slow going but better than nothing. :-) I know I should do more to learn the language, and I'd appreciate any reading suggestions for me and my infant.

I've never visted Italy, but my husband and I would love to go one day. My zio Mario says that I have some cousins in Italy but I've never met any of them.

Hopefully being a member of this forum and the about.com forums will give me the extra bit of practice to finally fill this lifelong dream of fluency.

ciao!
Nay

Amela

Post by Amela » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:30 pm

Ciao Renee!

Benvenuto al forum! Ci sono molte persone qui ai livelli differenza. Faccio gli errori ogni giorno, ma non fermo scrivere!

There are many people here at different levels. I make errors every day, but I don't stop writing! :P

Where in Illinois do you live? I lived in Chicago for 1 1/2 years, and my husband grew up in Highland Park. His whole family still lives there, so we visit once a year.

Ciao!

Amy