Ciao to All

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
Doost

Re:Ciao

Post by Doost » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:41 am

Dear friends,
I wish I could say and write all of this in Italian but unfortunately I can’t do it today and I hope you excuse me for writing it in English, All I have to say, “What a wonderful friends you people are, and what an amazing group”…. Roby I can’t Thank you enough for your information and advices. It’s definitely a starting point. Thank you Richard, polideuce,, Dottore No,,peter and anyone else that I may missed mentioning.
And isablu, thank you for your writing and strolling all of us down the memory lanes of the good old days , and a perfect society and living. Believe me, anyone like I, that has been living in big cities and in America for the past 30 years will be melted by those imagination and actually visiting that kind of environment. Like millions of Americans I’m an American immigrant. Before going to America I was so fascinated with American life style, and I have to admit it’s appealing and tempting, every one from all over the world dreams about going to America. Maybe the world is changing; maybe you and I look very odd for aching for those old things. Things that money can not buy. I consider myself and my kids to be very lucky to experience this little community, beautiful Italy, and wonderful Italian people, all I can say is; as Americans, We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values, we have definitely learned how to make a living, but not a life. And for sure we have added years to life but not life to years. When I see how most every one in this little town knows each others, I think as Americans, We’ve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble meeting a new neighbor. We work not harder but longer then any other nation but have no time for our kids or our family. Our biggest problem is, most of us have no time to visit and see other cultures, and they have always sang in our ears that our living and our culture is the best, and we are doing everything in our power to change the world the way we think it’s supposed to be, and have little respect and tolerance for other cultures. I’m not sure but maybe these downside economy crises will be good for all of us, maybe with global events looming over us like mountains, it will help us to get back to the reality and foundation of life which is Family, trust and friendships, and maybe it’s just a wish, maybe we have gone too far, to a point that we have created the failings of human consciousness, Just before I left United State, I have watched on the news, “The guy who had lost his job in los Angles had killed his wife, his 5 children and himself.” This is what the meaning of life has come to. The meaning of life in the big cities has ceased to be seen as anything more lofty than the "pursuit of happiness," Ciao All

Roby

Post by Roby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Doost,

You hit it right on the nose.... I love your post.

I am glad that we could be of help to you. Let me know what happens with the Sports Visa.
How long do you plan to be in Italy?

Here are some interesting things about Turin, Italy Things to do , where to eat, what to see... With girls..... SHOPPING

http://www.seeitalia.com/turin/
http://goitaly.about.com/od/moreitalian ... /turin.htm
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/piemonte/turin
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/pie ... rin/sights
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/pie ... /eatingout
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/pie ... rsdaytrips
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/pie ... /nightlife
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/pie ... activities
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/pie ... n/shopping

BOOKSTORES in Turin

Information about the bookstores
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/e3576/22926/c/

Addresses for the BOOKSTORES

Luxemburg International Bookstore
Via Battisti Cesare, 7
Torino (TO) -
Tel. 011 540370
www.librerialuxemburg.com
Has a lot English books.... Travel guides, phrasebooks , etc.

Liberia Antiquaria Peyrot
Piazza Savoia, 8/g
Torino (TO)
Tel. 011 436 9654
www.libreriapeyrot.com

There are several others . Here is a link that list them .

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1& ... sults&cd=2

Are there any cities that you would like to see while you are there .... on your down time? Let us know.

If we can be of any further help, let us know.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Doost

Post by Doost » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Dear friends, SALVE A TUTTI
I wish I could say and write all of this in Italian but unfortunately I can’t do it today and I hope you excuse me for writing it in English, All I have to say, “What a wonderful friends you people are, and what an amazing group”…. Roby I can’t Thank you enough for your information and advices. It’s definitely a starting point. Thank you Richard, polideuce,, Dottore No,,peter and anyone else that I may missed mentioning.
And isablu, thank you for your writing and strolling all of us down the memory lanes of the good old days , and a perfect society and living. Believe me, anyone like I, that has been living in big cities and in America for the past 30 years will be melted by those imagination and actually visiting that kind of environment. Like millions of Americans I’m an American immigrant. Before going to America I was so fascinated with American life style, and I have to admit it’s appealing and tempting, every one from all over the world dreams about going to America. Maybe the world is changing; maybe you and I look very odd for aching for those old things. Things that money can not buy. I consider myself and my kids to be very lucky to experience this little community, beautiful Italy, and wonderful Italian people, all I can say is; as Americans, We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values, we have definitely learned how to make a living, but not a life. And for sure we have added years to life but not life to years. When I see how most every one in this little town knows each others, I think as Americans, We’ve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble meeting a new neighbor. We work not harder but longer then any other nation but have no time for our kids or our family. Our biggest problem is, most of us have no time to visit and see other cultures, and they have always sang in our ears that our living and our culture is the best, and we are doing everything in our power to change the world the way we think it’s supposed to be, and have little respect and tolerance for other cultures. I’m not sure but maybe these downside economy crises will be good for all of us, maybe with global events looming over us like mountains, it will help us to get back to the reality and foundation of life which is Family, trust and friendships, and maybe it’s just a wish, maybe we have gone too far, to a point that we have created the failings of human consciousness, Just before I left United State, I have watched on the news, “The guy who had lost his job in los Angles had killed his wife, his 5 children and himself.” This is what the meaning of life has come to. The meaning of life in the big cities has ceased to be seen as anything more lofty than the "pursuit of happiness,"
Ciao
Doost

isablu

Post by isablu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:01 pm

dear Doost, I've read your post four times and still I go back to it to find right words to answer. But this is not my language and I'm sure I will be definitely incapable. Besides, I hope someone here will not get annoyed we are writing in English, I'd understand their complains as, at the moment, none is improving his Italian actually. Thanks for your patience, friends....
For me your post, besides being emotionally touching (may I say this????), it's very interesting. Right during this year, I've been thinking so many times to how a real American citizen is, thinks, behave. First, for Obama's election and secondly for the crisis. Yes, I admire American culture, I have always looked at USA as a place where wonderful things can happen. Things I should admit we Italians wouldn't ever be able to. Indeed, I visited many years ago some places there and remained simply astonished. But today, things are rolling down as on an inclined plane (may I say this?), I mean, inevitably, rapidly and confusingly together. In Italy as in USA or UK. So I don't feel so far from the way a middle American is feeling right now. But this is an opinion, I am not so sure. Mine is not an analysis, but a sensation, may be derived by the fact that I'm an empathic person, very open to share feelings and opinions with others, always without caring about this person provenience or belonging. This characteristic of mine has betrayed me so many times! (or should I say mislead?).
Anyway, I must conclude now, or better, I want to conclude by saying: I feel very well here with you all of the forum, I feel citizen of the world and not only of Italy, I am honored you love my language and want to learn it. Bye to all and, a presto
isabella

beauxyeux

Post by beauxyeux » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Doost, welcome to this forum... May I say I introduced it to you? And I'm happy to see you made lots of friends here. This is a virtual group of real people. We all have something in common, which is not only our bond to Italy in some way, but, most of all, the will to share our opinions about life from many different perspectives.
Eventually Internet is the real democratic way of meeting and expressing opinions, we are ourselves we don't have to be distracted by what we see or by the fact that we want to look at our best. Here what counts is what we feel, what we live and what we want to give the others.
Hope you keep on having a great time in this little community, as you have called it.
This is a great time of the year. Spring is coming, the sun is shining and the view of the mountains is astonishing as they are wonderfully covered with snow...
Thank you Doost, as you gave new value to the place where I've been living for all my life... :lol:
Ros Beauxyeux

Doost

Post by Doost » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 am

Ciao a tutti
Again I’m sorry if I write in here in English. My goal is to be able to read and write in Italian one day, Till that day I hope you all accept my sincere apology for writing in English in this group, Sometimes I wonder why children of one god, and one mother and father at the beginning, are divided and separate by different languages , different religions, and different nationalities . I guess it was hard for any government to rule over us, and to control us if we were all one happy family, As the politicians best jobs is to divide and rule.
Well, I can’t thank the wonderful people that I have met on this site and I can’t thank Rosanna enough for introducing me to this site.. As Rosanna had said, the best part of the internet is, “we the people could share our opinions, our feelings, and our thought with each others not only in our own country but all across the world,” for decades and centuries, it was the controlled media and government for sharing these feelings and opinions. I truly believe we the people can get along with each others, and live happily in harmony with each others. The best part of the internet is we come across some people that live next door to us, and others that live thousand miles away, We sit and we type. We share the thoughts in our minds with no fear with friends that we haven’t seen or met before, and as I experienced, some of these friendship will flourish and grow

Yes, Rosanna, coming from 80 and 90 degrees climate to this little town, and all of a sudden walking into a below zero temperature, I never thought I will see a warm and pleasant day again, and I almost forgot the spring is right around the corner. But indeed it is, and as the spring approaches it chases the cold blustery weather away. Yesterday was a gorgeous day for sure, all of a sudden, there was such and essence of beauty as everything in nature begins to wake up from the long winter sleep and start a new beginning. It seemed like every one started a new beginning in this little town. People were pour into the little shopping plaza from every corners.
As a matter of fact yesterday, when I was walking, I came across an old man hardly paddling his old bicycle with his kid sitting in the front and his wife on the back, it was one of those ”Kodak romantic moments” and I wish I had my camera with me. Maybe that is very normal for the people in this little town but I haven’t seen a scene like that for the past twenty years in America. And of course the last weekend Carnival in the town was fascinating and exciting. Another shocking and amazing thing for me is the fact that so many young girls and teenagers are walking at 2:00 alone in these little alleys around the town without having any fear, doing such a thing is almost impossible in our big cities and towns in America.
Well, for now and till next time, Arividerchi and Viva Italia and Italians

Pompiere

Post by Pompiere » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:49 am

Doost wrote:Dear friends, SALVE A TUTTI
I wish I could say and write all of this in Italian but unfortunately I can’t do it today and I hope you excuse me for writing it in English ......
Ciao
Doost
Doost:

Ciao Doost, Riccardo qui.

You write wonderfully and your words are molto powerful. I would only ask that you allow me to make one suggestion, and that would be to, "non ha paura a scrivere unpo' in italiano". This comes from a guy who once told Poliduce, " I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed". And trust me mia moglia would concur with that statement. With that being said, I would enjoy seeing you write some of your dialogue in italiano. C'e' molta gente qui che ti possono aiutare. SO just like I'm not certain that C'e' molta gente qui che possono ti aiutare means "There are many people here that can help you", sometimes, just throwing it out there is the best way to learn. Perche', every correction or suggestion that is presented, helps you me and many others. Allora, even se tu scriva solamente una frase, doverebbe scriverla e poi tutti (senza me) ti sarano aiutare con ANY ??? corrections that might be neccessary.

Spero che tu e sue ragazzi sono fare benissimo. Che tempo fa li' oggi.

A presto Riccardo

brindge

Post by brindge » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:00 am

Doost - its sounds like you are living a dream. You are so lucky to be able to experience Italy in such a fabulous way.

In Italian (my way!!) - sembra che stai vivendo un sogno. Sei molto fortunato d'avere l'opportunita di fare questa esperienza.

I have to agree with you when you say that things seem much safer in Italy. Perhaps it's just our naivete, but I always feel the same way when I am there. I will wander into alleyways without even thinking about anything malicious occuring. In fact, I always say that if you want a good restaurant, just take a wander down an alleyway and you will find the best places to eat.

Again, I will try in Italian - sono d'accordo con te quando dici che le cose sembrano piu sicure in Italia. Forse e solo perche siamo ingenui, ma anch'io mi sento cosi quando sono li. Faccio sempre le passeggiate nelle stradine senza pensare a qualche cosa malizioso. In fatti, dico sempre che i migliori ristoranti si trovano nelle stradette.

Enjoy your time there.

A presto.
Barbara

isablu

Post by isablu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Doost, may be Barbara is right you seem to be experiencing a sort of earthly paradise in Piemonte! I don't want to spoil this vision you have and other friends of the forum can enjoy, so I prefer to omit any comment about this. I know that in many towns in USA the situation of security might be worse than here, so perfectly understand your point of view. Again, it is preferable to omit here, my personal opinion, I am too realistic and pessimistic I am afraid. Enjoy your stay in Piemonte, the spring arrival, and I wish something better could come here a bit more South!

a presto
isabella :wink:

Dottore No

Post by Dottore No » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Buona sera, Doost,

Sono in accordo con Richard. No ha paura di provare a scrivere in italiano.
Si trovera' tra molti amici qui.

(This from a guy who started a recent dialogue about favorite movies that brought out the English in the group...much to Barbara's dismay...mi dispiace!)

Anche...non abbandonare tutti delle sue memorie affezionate degli Stati Uniti. Noi abbiamo bisogno della brava gente come ti, quando avra' finito la sua avventura italiana!

Ciao!
Peter / Pietro / Dottore No

brindge

Post by brindge » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:05 pm

:) Sono d'accordo...anche se l'italiano non e perfetto, ci capiamo sempre!