Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
bzam

Post by bzam » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:09 am

My Italiano ability is limited although I try. I have been to Trentino two times to visit my Padre's family. I have taken a few local classes and worked on various self help exercises.

My hearing is very limited so I have a difficult time understaning and pronouncing words correctly but I read pretty well and understand better.

My family in Italy has zero English ability so its a chore, with me working the dictionary fast!

I am going back in September for 3 weeks. I am taking my son, age 43, and we are doing Milan, Rome, Florence, Venice and then driving up to Trentino to visit the family.

My question is about these electronic translators to use instead of thumbing through a dictionary. I have stayed away from them so far but I would consider one to expedite looking up single words and not trying to construct sentences.

I went down that road once. After my first trip with a cousin who spoke very good Italian, I came home and on my own wrote the family letters thanking them, by writing in English and translating them with dictionary.com. One relative owns a nice bar and in my letter I told him he had a beautiful bar.

Later I showed a copy of this letter to my Italian instructor here and he went ballistic. He said you told your relative he had beautiful bars on his windows!!!!!!

So not all was lost. Next time I went back to Italy, with a big smile I got up in his bar at the window and said with my limited Italian, he had nice bars on his window and he got a great laff out of this as I explained never use the computer to write my letters.

Sorry for all the rambling but have enjoyed going through the messages here the last few days.

Roberto
Roberto, Sud California e Sclemo Trentino

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:52 pm

Ciao Roberto e benvenuto.

I haven't use an electronic translator, but I think they might be way faster than looking for a word on a dictionary.

Probably there are the ones with whole phrases and voice recognition.

I think when you are trying to comunicate using a different language (that you don't know) anything that might be of help will be better than nothing.

A presto,

Angel

disegno

Post by disegno » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:45 am

Che bello che vai in Italia in Settembre con tuo figlio! Ti auguro un buon viaggio!!! Dicci delle tue avventure dopo il ritorno. M

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:35 pm

Ciao Roberto, e benvenuto alla Bacheca! :D

I agree with Angel that an electronic translator is faster than a paper dictionary, but it is probably only good for translating single words....as you noticed, if you enter a phrase or a sentence it can come up with some interesting translations! We actually had a thread here on the board a while back where we all shared some embarassing moments when speaking in Italian....you can read about it here, and share any of yours!

http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91

September is a beautiful time of year to visit Italy....fewer tourists, fewer crowds, and nicer weather (not so hot). You mentioned that you have been to Trentino twice, but have you ever been to the other places that you'll be visiting in September?

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

A presto,
Mindy

lockettpots

Post by lockettpots » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:08 pm

Ciao bzam

Where about in Trentino is your family?

John

bzam

Post by bzam » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:20 am

lockettpots wrote:Ciao bzam

Where about in Trentino is your family?

John
John, my Padre was from a very small village about 40 K west of Trento, in Valli Guaidcare. Bigger town is Stenco near, and then Ponte Arche, where the Terme Comano spa is located.

He came to USA when he was 6 but my cousin with some effort found the town and the relatives.

I have been there twice, in 2000 and 2002. In 2002 I attended the ITTONA convention in Trento put on by the association. I am active in the Southern California Trentino Club. I maintain the web page for our club at http://home.sprintmail.com/~bzam/ittona.html

Also have photos of my 2002 trip on my home page at

http://home.sprintmail.com/~bzam/italy-1.htm

Do you have roots in Trentino???

Ciao, Roberto
Roberto, Sud California e Sclemo Trentino

lockettpots

Post by lockettpots » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:19 pm

No. We haven't any roots in Trentino but we love the area and go every year for two or three weeks.

We usually stay in a hotel in Riva del Garda and use that as a base for getting round Trentino.

John