Greetings!

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
kordo

Greetings!

Post by kordo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 am

Hello all! I've been a member of this site for a little bit now, but I'm usually more of a lurker then poster (I have a somewhat severe social anxiety problem).

My fathers side of the family is Italian. My grandparents are first generation American. So I've decided to honor my family, and my fathers memory, and learn Italian. Right now I'm working on Michel Thomas course, but man, his voice can put me to sleep (and has a few nights lol).

So really, I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I don't usually post much, I much prefer to do most correspondence through PM. But, I just wanted to say hi to all the wonderful folks I've seen on these forums so far!

Matt

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:30 am

ciao matt!

nice to hear from you! :D

I have to say, learning a language to honour your family is quite a noble goal. You must be really proud of your family heritage. Good on ya! :wink:

kordo

Post by kordo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 am

coffeecup wrote:ciao matt!
I have to say, learning a language to honour your family is quite a noble goal. You must be really proud of your family heritage. Good on ya! :wink:
Yeah, even though I'm half Italian, I consider myself basically full Italian lol. I thought it would be nice to be able to talk to my grandfather in Italian, but alas he only knows a few phrases he had to learn to know what was going on when he went to visit family. But my grandmother (who is Sicilian) knows quite a bit more, so I'm hoping she'll be able to remember enough to have a conversation with (she had a double stroke 10 years ago and has a few memory problems). Even with all that I'm pretty motivated to learn, especially since I'm hoping to be able to visit Italy in the next few years.

ChirO10

nobility

Post by ChirO10 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 am

quite a noble reason for learning italian amico. i like that. keep it up man.

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Ciao Matt e benvenuto. I think it is an excellent reason for learning the language. I know a number of Americans of Italian descent who are trying to reconnect with their heritage. So I wish you well.

And I totally agree with your view of Michel Thomas. He sent me to sleep as well!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, do not be afraid to ask any questions.

ItalianNewbie

Post by ItalianNewbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 pm

kordo wrote:Yeah, even though I'm half Italian, I consider myself basically full Italian lol. I thought it would be nice to be able to talk to my grandfather in Italian, but alas he only knows a few phrases he had to learn to know what was going on when he went to visit family. But my grandmother (who is Sicilian) knows quite a bit more, so I'm hoping she'll be able to remember enough to have a conversation with (she had a double stroke 10 years ago and has a few memory problems). Even with all that I'm pretty motivated to learn, especially since I'm hoping to be able to visit Italy in the next few years.
Hi Kordo - I just joined today and I'm in the early early stages of learning the language myself ("bambino" is boy, "pane" is bread, "macchina" is car...that's about as far as I've gotten), but I wanted to address your remark directly because I'm in a similar situation.

My father's family is a German/Dutch mix, my mother's mother was Italian, my mother's father was Sicilian (funny how we're taught to make that distinction, huh?), and since my father 1) grew up in an orphanage, and 2) died of leukemia back in '86, I tend to know quite a bit more about my mom's family's heritage than my dad's. My grandparents (the only ones I knew) were second-generation Americans, and their parents had them learn English from the day they were born, so the language didn't pass on in the family. My grandmother understood some Italian phrases, but never spoke the language. Grandpa made cursing in English an art form. Both have since passed away, but still, the blood runs thick through the family and I've always had an interest in Italian culture and the language (we still eat pasta every Thursday in our house!).

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to you and everyone else here, and my main goal for joining is to get to a point where I can (hopefully) have conversations with folks here who speak fluent Italian so I can learn and speak it fluently myself!!