Hola!

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
Tommyixi

Hola!

Post by Tommyixi »

Buona sera!

Mi chiamo Tommy! Quando ero piccolo ho studiato italiano, pero, no ho parlato italiano in un tempo lungo. Spero che posso imparare e practicare la lingua.

I hope that made sense grammatically? Either way, I'm excited to be here and look forward to learning more about the italian language.
Peter

Re: Hola!

Post by Peter »

Tommyixi wrote:Buona sera!

Mi chiamo Tommy! Quando ero piccolo ho studiato italiano, pero, no ho parlato italiano in un tempo lungo. Spero che posso imparare e practicare la lingua.

I hope that made sense grammatically? Either way, I'm excited to be here and look forward to learning more about the italian language.
ciao Tommy e benvenuto ad Impariamo.

Well, what you said was understandable, but there were one or two errors. This is how I think it should be written, but let's wait for one of ouresteemed Italian friends to confirm!

Mi chiamo Tommy! Quando ero piccolo ho studiato italiano. Però, non parlo italiano da molto tempo. Spero che io possa imparare e practicare la lingua.

Why the changes? Well, in the first phrase I've highlighted you are saying that you have not spoken Italian for a long time. When you say that you have done, or not done, something for a period of time, then the correct grammar structure in Italian is to use the present tense of the appropriate verb plus the preposition da.

In the second phrase you have used sperare (to hope). This is one of many verbs where you need to use the subjunctive mood. The what, you may say, as did I the first time I came across it! This is because in English the subjunctive is almost defunct. It does exist but is very rarely used; an example is if I were you, another is if that were the case. You will find a really helpful discussion on the subjunctive in Vocab section.

mmm... by the way.... why the Spanish salutation?!!! :) :)
Massimo

Post by Massimo »

Ciao Tommy e benvenuto anche da me!
Qui avrai sicuramente la possibilità di migliorare il tuo italiano :D
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu
Tommyixi

Post by Tommyixi »

ahh! Ok thanks for the suggestions! I like this site a lot and I'm finding it quite useful! Thanks again! :)