Buon Giorno!

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
chris319

Buon Giorno!

Post by chris319 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:33 am

Buon giorno!

I live in the Los Angeles area, born and raised in Palo Alto, California. I lived in San Francisco for five years in the mid 1970's while attending San Francisco State University. I spent 3 years studying Latin in junior high school, 2 years studying German in high school (Italian wasn't offered) and have picked up a few words of Spanish and Yiddish along the way. I know more Latin, German, Spanish and Yiddish than my ancestral Italian, so it's time for that to change.

My maternal nonno came to the U.S. around 1920 from the village of Sant'Anna in the province of Lucca. He settled in Hollister, California, purchased several acres of land and operated a fruit orchard, growing walnuts, apricots and prunes.

My grandmother, whom we called Nonni, was from California but her family was from the Italian-speaking region of Switzerland. She had 10 children.

In Palo Alto, very little Italian was spoken in our home. We used to hear "dio buono" a lot, and I know what "mangia" and "manini" mean. My interest is more in Italian cooking and cuisine than in language fluency. Along with that come all of the Italian cooking and culinary terms.

My father's family is Norwegian.

Thank you for reading!

chris319