L10: PART 2: ADVERBS OF MANNER – THE ABSOLUTE SUPERLATIVE

Here you will find free Italian lessons that are useful for the beginner to advanced level Italian speaker.
Dylan Thomas

L10: PART 2: ADVERBS OF MANNER – THE ABSOLUTE SUPERLATIVE

Postby Dylan Thomas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Gli avverbi di modo o maniera – le forme superlative:
Seconda parte: Il superlativo assoluto

(Suggested corrections in square brackets; comments in italic.)

I miei non sono mai lontanissimi dai miei pensieri [technically / literally correct, but awkward; I would express the idea this way, “Penso sempre ai miei genitori / I miei genitori sono sempre nei miei pensieri”)
My parents are never very far away from my thoughts

Luigi ha capito moltissimo [molto] chiaramente [also: chiarissimamente] che c’era molto lavoro di [da] fare
Luigi understood very clearly that there was much work to do

Dino ha detto a Maria che dovevano lasciare [partire] prestissimo [also: molto presto]
Dino told Maria that they had to leave very soon

“To leave” can also mean “lasciare”. Examples:
(a) Non lasciare la finestra aperta per favore. Fa freddo qui dentro. (Don’t leave the window open, please. It’s cold in here.)
(b) Ho lasciato la patente sul comodino. (I’ve left my driving licence on the bed-side table.)
(c) Gianni ha lasciato del denaro per te. (Gianni left some money for you.)

Alda sempre parla [parla sempre] assai [old-fashioned or regional; molto] chiaramente
Alda always speaks very clearly

Enrico guida estremamente lentamente [lentissimamente; “estremamente lentamente” is wrong.]
Enrico drives extremely slowly

DT

calum
Site Owner

Re: L10: PART 2: ADVERBS OF MANNER – THE ABSOLUTE SUPERLATIVE

Postby calum » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Dylan,

regarding your suggestion "Penso sempre ai miei genitori / I miei genitori sono sempre nei miei pensieri", is there a way to express this using the absolute superlative? If not, then maybe we should consider a different phrase which would allow that and thereby be relevant to the lesson's topic.

P.S. I will be away on holidy for a week from today. I'll catch up with you when I return on Thursday 5 January. Have a great New Year!

Dylan Thomas

Re: L10: PART 2: ADVERBS OF MANNER – THE ABSOLUTE SUPERLATIVE

Postby Dylan Thomas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:56 pm

I miei genitori abitano molto lontano da me ma sono sempre nei miei pensieri.
My parents live very far away from me but they’re always in the back of my mind.

An English native speaker might want to check the correctness of the English sentence.

DT

P.S. To Calum and all of the other foreros: Have a great New Year!

Return to “Lezioni gratuite”