want

This section is dedicated to Italians who wish to improve their English skills. Aiutiamoci a vicenda!
ciccio

want

Post by ciccio » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 pm

1. I don't want you to come home so late.
2. I don't want you coming home so late.

What is the difference?

calum
Site Owner

Re: want

Post by calum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:53 pm

ciccio wrote:1. I don't want you to come home so late.
2. I don't want you coming home so late.

What is the difference?
In my opinion there is no difference.

Calum

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:58 pm

I agree with Calum. No difference. :)

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:14 am

they are incredibly similar, but I would say that the first one refers to the action happening in the future (ie, they have come home late once before and the speaker does not want it to happen again.)

The second one, if I'm not mistaken, is in the gerund form and thus has connotations of the action happening in the present (ie, the speaker is referring to the time at which the action of coming home will be presently happening).

They both refer to the action happening in the future, but in my opinion there is that slight difference - and it is a slight difference.

Any other thoughts?

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

coffeecup wrote:they are incredibly similar, but I would say that the first one refers to the action happening in the future (ie, they have come home late once before and the speaker does not want it to happen again.)
This is not necessarily the case. I understand what coffeecup is saying here, but picture the scene: the son/daughter gets home late and Mum or Dad (or both!) are waiting for them - perhaps a little worried; Mum/Dad could easily use either phrase, and mean 'now or in the future'. :)

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 am

very true, Peter.

They are so close they are easily interchangeable, I suppose. It's only a tiny variation in my opinion.

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:06 am

The problem in my opinion about languages and in particular english language is "why" is asked too much about the grammar. Best way is just to accept it is what it is. Being too technical about a language makes it too boring to learn so it would make it that much harder to learn. Don't ask why... just like Nike says: Just do it.