Forum question..

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
She

Forum question..

Post by She » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 pm

I was wondering.. are there any mods?

It seems like some of these threads should really be stickied because it'd be a shame for them to get lost all the way at the bottom of the page. It makes it easier for new comers to come and know where and what board to find it in.

ladybird

Re: Forum question..

Post by ladybird » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:47 pm

She wrote:I was wondering.. are there any mods?

It seems like some of these threads should really be stickied because it'd be a shame for them to get lost all the way at the bottom of the page. It makes it easier for new comers to come and know where and what board to find it in.
Ciao Janett e (belated) benvenuta al forum!

I don't believe there are any mods as such, you can always send the administrator Mindy a PM.
I have also raised this issue in the past but have not really had a response, I agree with you that some of the information would be easier to find if it was in a "stickie".
Why not contact Mindy and see what she thinks of the idea?
Good luck!
Life is for living and learning.

She

Post by She » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, I think I'll do that. But instead of bothering her into doing the work herself, maybe we should have some kind of vote and elect some of the most helpful members that have been here the longest, and whoever the members vote for can be mod. I think it would speed up the forum instead of waiting and having to depend on the admin for every minor issue.

Just an idea =)

Devery

Post by Devery » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:53 pm

Ciao la mia vecina!
I don't know if there should be threads that are stickied per se. If you notice, once there is a thread that has an ounce of "meat" to it Roby will move it over from the "grammar" section to the "free lesson" section. From there you can find almost anything you want.
I guess if I had a suggestion it would be to maybe organize the "free lesson" section into individual sub folders where it would be easier to find what you want: adverbs, nouns, prepositions and pronouns, verbs, etc. However, this would take some work seeing there are a lot of posts on these subjects, so it is probably just wishful thinking.
But if not, I am not at a loss, I feel the site is a treasure trove of knowledge.

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:02 pm

Ciao carissimi!

Scusate se scrivo questo messaggio in inglese.....

Thank you so much for your interest in continuing to improve and develop our awesome community! The reason we do not have moderators is simply because I have not wanted to do anything to significantly change the dynamics on the board. I believe our members enjoy coming here because of our unstructured, laid back community, and I continue to marvel at how the community continues to determine its own personality and culture. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this!

In the coming weeks, I will be working with Roby on adding a link to our menu that directs to a page of our "Notable Posts", so we don't have to have too many "sticky" posts taking up the top of the spots on each section. Again, I'd certainly like your thoughts on this as well.

Un saluto caloroso a tutti! :)

Mindy

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:19 pm

spanky wrote:Ciao la mia vecina!
I don't know if there should be threads that are stickied per se. If you notice, once there is a thread that has an ounce of "meat" to it Roby will move it over from the "grammar" section to the "free lesson" section. From there you can find almost anything you want.
I guess if I had a suggestion it would be to maybe organize the "free lesson" section into individual sub folders where it would be easier to find what you want: adverbs, nouns, prepositions and pronouns, verbs, etc. However, this would take some work seeing there are a lot of posts on these subjects, so it is probably just wishful thinking.
But if not, I am not at a loss, I feel the site is a treasure trove of knowledge.
Thanks Spanky.... I am doing my best and I appreciate your appreciation of I am doing.

I do like your idea of the folders. I will see what we can do. Give us some time. Thanks for your input.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Devery

Post by Devery » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Roby wrote:
spanky wrote:Ciao la mia vecina!
Thanks Spanky.... I am doing my best and I appreciate your appreciation of I am doing.

I do like your idea of the folders. I will see what we can do. Give us some time. Thanks for your input.
Thank YOU. :wink:

The problem with MORE stickies is it creates a cluttered look. All of the stickies are stuck on top and you have to scroll down to get to the threads. Plus you have to chose which ones merit being stickied. With the Italian language, there are sooooo many things an admin would like to make as a sticky. . .the options are endless.
I like the idea of folders, too. It would be a lot of work I am sure. I am not saying it is needed, it's just that there are a LOT of threads and subjects in the "free lesson" section and it would be nice if your search options could be expidited by subject somehow. But when all else fails one can just type a keyword in the search option and it will show you the threads on that subject! This is all you need really!

Devee

Post by Devee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:10 pm

I run a few boards and generally speaking you want to only sticky things such as rules, upcoming events, etc. Mods are generally used on larger boards to basically keep people in check. A flame war starts up, spammers, etc. It just helps to ensure that there are folks on more times than not that can help keep the peace. If people think there may be to much "clutter" maybe it's time to add a new category or two. I've only been using these boards for a couple of weeks so my suggestions are just that :)

Devery

Post by Devery » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:25 pm

I hope I wasn't sounding like I thought that the current format is "cluttered" looking. I was just responding to She, saying that if we put too many stickies it will become cluttered looking.
I agree with digitalvoid when he said what stickies are for. Spot on. Again, I really, really like the set up as is.

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi all.

I'm in favour of a couple of stickies for general subjects such as travel and literature, nothing more than that.

This may sound a bit daft but..do we have a search option at the moment?
If I want to find a previous post that I want to have a look at again, I normally go scrolling through the grammatica section :?

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Mindy wrote: The reason we do not have moderators is simply because I have not wanted to do anything to significantly change the dynamics on the board. I believe our members enjoy coming here because of our unstructured, laid back community
I couldn't agree more! This is a small, friendly community where I have never seen things get out of control so I can't see the need for even a single moderator.
In addition Roby does an excellent job by moving posts on grammar/usage to Free Lessons. Actually I'd like to thank her for all that she does for this forum. We all owe her a huge debt of gratitude.

Devee

Post by Devee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 pm

ladybird wrote: This may sound a bit daft but..do we have a search option at the moment?
If I want to find a previous post that I want to have a look at again, I normally go scrolling through the grammatica section :?
http://impariamo.com/forum/search.php

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:51 pm

digitalvoid wrote:
ladybird wrote: This may sound a bit daft but..do we have a search option at the moment?
I shall now go and hang my head in shame and embarrassment :oops:
How the heck did I miss it?? :shock:
Thanks Dustin :)

EDIT-Forgot to add, regarding the moderator suggestion..if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Only my personal opinion :)
Last edited by ladybird on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devery

Post by Devery » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:11 pm

ladybird wrote:
digitalvoid wrote:
Ladybird, you can find it in the top right hand corner of any page FAQ, Search, Member List, Profile, Private Mail Box are the options.

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm

spanky wrote:
ladybird wrote:
digitalvoid wrote:
Ladybird, you can find it in the top right hand corner of any page FAQ, Search, Member List, Profile, Private Mail Box are the options.
Ciao Devery

Yup, I found it, hence my embarrassment at having missed it :)
Thanks