How to type in accents

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Philip

Post by Philip » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks for your input everyone.

Keying accents, Hopefully this is the definitive version.
There are other methods. This is for for simple folk like me who do not want to re-confugure their keyboard or do not want to get involved with character maps. Print it out and stick it in your notebook. I'm sure it will come in useful one day. If it does not work let me know, and I''ll work on it a bit more.
Regards Phil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keying accents on a PC

Hold down “Alt” and type the numbers
using the Numeric Keypad.

Laptops without a Numeric Keypad
Hold down “Alt” and “Fn”
Use the same number code.

0224 = à
0192 = À
0232 = è
0200 = È
0236 = ì
0204 = Ì
0242 = ò
0210 = Ò
0249 = ù
0217 = Ù
0128 = €

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorella

Post by sorella » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Nope!! Still no go. I just get a beeping when I press the numbers. Very annoying. Thanks anyway.

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:26 pm

sorella wrote:Nope!! Still no go. I just get a beeping when I press the numbers. Very annoying. Thanks anyway.
Try adding an Italian keyboard. There are directions on my previous post.
Family, dogs, bike, work ----- in that order.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

Philip

Post by Philip » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Sorella, I did a bit of research. Aparrently you have 11 diffent official languages in South Africa, some of them have special characters which appear in no other language. There seems to be an abundance of software which allows you to key in and print these characters.

If you have a computer which is pre-loaded with this software then it is going to interfere with whatever special characters you need to use.

It seems to be a South African thing. All I can suggest is that you migrate to West Australia and purchase a new computer here. We don't mess around with special characters in Oz. We have vowels and consonants like other languages and lot's of dipthongs, heaps of dipthongs, but they are easy to figger out, but we ignore rules of grammer, and we are pretty lax on spelling. Punctuation is limited to full stops and commas and the occasional question or exclamation mark.

AS it happens I live in an area where there there a lot's of SA migrants.
They have a knickname for themselves PFP's which means that when things get rotten in Jo'berg you PFP. (Pack for Perth) And they love it here. Check it out. This is one of the most accurate observations of Perth that I have read.

http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/mel/you ... 505idb.php

Food for thought Sorella? Yes I have an agenda. I have lived here for 35 years and enjoyed every minuite. But it's time to move on. I want to retire and spend the last decades owing to me living in Italy. I live in a middle class suburb, and I'm guessing 5-6-7 South African families have made their home in my street. I have the biggest block on the street, but the oldest house, a rambling house with four bedrooms two bathrooms and a big garden,a bit too big for me to manage. I'm looking for a buyer so I can move on and enjoy the the next phase of my life.

Sorella, I am walking distance from a Sinagogue, and a couple of churches.plus (count them) Two golf courses, the third is a bycycle ride away, A public open air swimming pool, is close, heated in winter, sauna and spa are extra. 1 k from the shopping centre where Piri-Piri and Biltong are on sale in the main food section, and your main worry is being tripped over by an old person with a Zimmer frame. I'm opposite a primary school, the nearest Secondary school is 2.5 K's away. Two parks, where people jog and if one is (as i am) in a slow walk in the opposite direction you give them eye contact and say a curt G'dday if they are moving fast or say Good Evening if they are a bit slower, and you always get a response back.

I'd stay here forever if I played golf, swam, jogged, and my children were still at school. Time for me to move on. Other things interest me now.

sorella

Post by sorella » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Ciao Philip, sounds great but I still love South Africa. Never felt the urge to PFP. However, we do have a flat in Italy which we plan to visit 3 or 4 times a year when we are in Europe. I am not a South African I am a Liverpudlian. I know lots of people have taken the gap and gone to Australia but it has no appeal for me. We live in lovely appatment with an amazing view of the city and the ocean and life is still very good here. We travel a lot and love Italy. If I get on a plane for any longer than 2 hours I want to know that Italy is somewhere on the itinerary. I hope that You get a chance to live your dream and get to Italy,

With regard to the Acer keyboard, I don't know what the problem is. As far as I know, the languages used in South Africa are all written using the English alphabet without accents etc. I have selected UK English as the default so who knows. It is very likely that I am the problem!

Regards,

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:07 pm

sorella wrote:Nope!! Still no go. I just get a beeping when I press the numbers. Very annoying. Thanks anyway.
I appreciate that this is a damn fool question but you ARE using the Alt key? If you have a standard English QWERTY keyboard you really should not be having a problem. :) :)

sorella

Post by sorella » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:07 am

I am using the alt and fn keys. I am going to take my laptop to an Italian friend who is a bit of a fundi on computers and let him have a go at it. Meantime I will continue to use ' as an accent. The use it on RAI TV a lot in the subtitles. You've all been very helpful here and I have sent the forum details to lots of people I know who are learning Italian.

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Generally, the ALT + number keys doesn't work on most laptops to create special characters unless your laptop is configured with a number pad (usually these keys are superimposed over letters on the keyboard in a different color) and then will only work with some machinations of the keyboard which makes it so slow it's not even worth doing. Keyboards with number pads (like those used for a desktop) have the easiest with using the Alt + number pad to create these characters.

Laptop users would have to reconfigure their keyboard in Windows, attach an external keyboard (which I do often) or use the character map. If you use Firefox, you might be able to configure the spell checking option to correct your accents as you type (which is what I do).

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Which is why I posted http://www.impariamo.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1938#21938

Its quick and esay for laptop users to switch back and forth.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

sorella

Post by sorella » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 pm

I am a Luddite. Not only am I useless with computers. I am useless at typing. Just posting this is a chore. I am really grateful for all your help but, you all just have to accept that there are people like me who just don't have a clue. I'll just have to stay barefoot in the kitchen.

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:12 pm

Just do what is easiest for you :)

I'm sure no one would mind if you just used the ' in place of accents.

calum

Post by calum » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:06 pm

sorella wrote: I'll just have to stay barefoot in the kitchen.
Sorella,
don't give up!

This may be the ideal solution for you --> http://italian.typeit.org/

Dead simple to use.

regards,
Calum

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Awesome tool!

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:32 pm

Si fantastico!!! Grazie

sorella

Post by sorella » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:26 am

Callum, mille grazie. Sapevo che ci sarebbe un modo semplice e che qualcuno ingegnoso lo trovarebbe. Un sito ottimo!