lo sport televisione!

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
stefano2

lo sport televisione!

Post by stefano2 »

Just wrote this, look for errors please!

Molte persone guardano lo sport sulla televisione via satellite come sky.
Questi stazionie fa l’abbonamento cara, Calcio diretta anche può darsi cara.
Qaulche Associazione calico fa pargare tra l’ 40 e l’ 90 euro. Non sicuro come hanno possono permettere di pagar.e Credo che devono ne’ mangiare ne’ bere.
Il game deve ha calorie. A giocare sport pero’ e’ spesso libera o non abberstanza cara
A calcio una palla in girio con le raggzi o il nosta amieche e’ divertente
Inglese più difettoso italiano difettoso
-Luca-

Re: lo sport televisione!

Post by -Luca- »

stefano2 wrote:Just wrote this, look for errors please!

Qaulche Associazione calico fa pargare tra l’ 40 e l’ 90 euro. Non sicuro come hanno possono permettere di pagar.e Credo che devono ne’ mangiare ne’ bere.
Il game deve ha calorie. A giocare sport pero’ e’ spesso libera o non abberstanza cara
Ciao Stefano,
please, in addition to that, provide the English version.
Some phrases infact don't make so much sense.
I mean, it's hard to correct something thats ihas not a clear meaning (just because of the translation :) )
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!
maelström

Re: lo sport televisione!

Post by maelström »

Steven, I am going to be very honest and frank: you really need a good grammar book, a lot of study, a good excercise textbook and tons of practise. Don't venture yourself into free composition without a solid grammar foundation, because the results might be frustrating. There are indeed so many mistakes in your little text that I don't have the heart of underlining them all.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Just don't get discouraged. You might be trying to be a little too ambitious and this is probably down to enthusiasm, which no one wants to dampen. I don't know what stage you're at in your Italian but might I suggest that if free composition is something you want to do (and it is VERY difficult to write in another language) you might want to start by doing some simple translations. Start by translating from Italian into English (this is always much easier). Once you've done that try retranslating back into Italian and see how close you get. If you find you've made mistakes, find out WHERE you went wrong and why. The most important thing is to start simple.

Don't give up!

Please identify yourself first before you add me.
Roby

Post by Roby »

Davide wrote:Just don't get discouraged. You might be trying to be a little too ambitious and this is probably down to enthusiasm, which no one wants to dampen. I don't know what stage you're at in your Italian but might I suggest that if free composition is something you want to do (and it is VERY difficult to write in another language) you might want to start by doing some simple translations. Start by translating from Italian into English (this is always much easier). Once you've done that try retranslating back into Italian and see how close you get. If you find you've made mistakes, find out WHERE you went wrong and why. The most important thing is to start simple.

Don't give up!
Good point Davide
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld
stefano2

Post by stefano2 »

Thanks :) im afraid free compersion was the exercise of causei'll luck at the grammer again. There is the odd bit of joke in this! Ill try again tonight! thanks steven
Pacentro08

Post by Pacentro08 »

Stefano

Both Maelstrom and Davide are right, but the question in my mind is why you are concentrating on the written form. Most people these days want to speak the language and translating texts isn't the best way to do this.

However, you may be working towards something very specific that requires an ability to translate. If so, ignore me. But if you want some ideas about where to get material to help you with the spoken language, I'm sure lots of us can come up with suggestions. The beauty of this forum is that there are lots of very knowledgeable people around to help.

Salutoni
http://www.susangirellihill.eu
Italian and English language services
Find me on Facebook: Susan Girelli Hill
Tweet me @SGirelliHill
Linkedin: Susan Girelli Hill
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

I hope Stefano doesn't mind me butting in here Pacentro but I happen to know this is actually a piece of homework from evening class.

I had similar experiences when I attended my classes, there was lots of written work and few opportunities for speaking the language.

If you have a spare weekend ( :wink: ) you can have a look at my old posts here from approx 2007/8 and you can see that I was often asked to write long pieces about specific topics or something that interested me.

It is just the way things are done here, I believe that most basic level courses concentrate on reading and writing, less on speaking and listening.

If one is lucky enough to progress onto higher levels (still evening classes) then speaking comes more to the forefront, unfortunately many foreign language evening classes have been scrapped.
Life is for living and learning.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ladybird is correct in her description of the courses she and I frequented. My written Italian is a somewhat better than how I speak it - the lack of conversation classes and other personal circumstances have made it more difficult to keep the conversation skills going, to the extent that now I have very little confidence when trying. I agree with the excellent advice that Maelstrom has given about speaking the language, but due to my circumstances I find it difficult to overcome the obstacles, much as I would love to do so. :(
-Luca-

Post by -Luca- »

Concordo con tutti : Pacentro, Davide , Maelstrom,Ladybird .

Probabilmente quella è una frase che fa parte di un testo da scrivere come compito per casa, quindi un testo a mano libera.
Stefano , da come si può notare, è in un livello "beginner", quindi fa quel che può.
Nelle scuole italiane accade lo stesso : si dà una grande importanza allo scritto, e poca al parlato.

No worries Stefano, we've all been beginner and we all know how hard is to write a text in a foreign language :)

However,write it first in your native language, and only after that , try to translate it in Italian.
So, provide the english text here, and your attempt of translation .

We'll be happy top help you mate!! :)
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!
Roby

Post by Roby »

I agree with everyone on the topic of learning the written language more so in classes for the native English speakers. Spoken Italian was done some in my classes that I took many years ago. However, I am in the same boat as Peter . My written Italian is much better than my spoken Italian . However, my spoken Italian has improved a great deal over the years.

Steven... Keep at it.... Don't worry if your written Italian is not always correct. I understand the homework assignments that they give are frustrating.

A tip for doing the written assignments .... Break down the conversation or text into sentences...like this... spacing each sentence and it English translation. We do need you to write What you are trying to say in English as well so we can help you with the parts that are not quite clear.

English version

English
Qaulche Associazione calico fa pargare tra l’ 40 e l’ 90 euro. Non sicuro come hanno possono permettere di pagar.e

English
Credo che devono ne’ mangiare ne’ bere.
English

English
English

DO NOT GIVE UP! We are here to help.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld
stefano2

Post by stefano2 »

Thanks roby its good to have the english and italian together i did post this too soon really

To all and to clear up any misunderstandings

Thankyou for your help, I didnt translate this its my work , I will give you the english , I seem to have missed some words , masc fem mixed up! , on my fourth year of italian so not absolute beginner even if i write like it and Ive seen some of the mistakes so will repost later

Thankyou to everyone

Many People watch (the) sport on satalite TV (stations) like Sky.

Questi stazionie fa un abbonamento cara, Calcio in diretta anche può darsi cara.

These stations make an exspensive subscribtion charge, live football can also be exspensive

Qaulche Associazione calico fa pargare tra l’ 40 e l’ 90 euro per ingresso. Non sicuro come delle gente possono permettere di pagare!

Some football clubs charge bewteen 40-90 euro for entrey. i not sure how people can afford this!

Credo che devono ne’ mangiare ne’ bere.

I belive that they must niether eat or drink!

The game must have carolies, To play a sport however is often free o not very dear!

A calcio una palla in girio con li raggzi o le sue amieche e’ divertente

To kick a football around with the kids or your friends is fun!
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

All this footie is killing me Steve. :roll:

Comunque..

Gli abbonamenti per questi stazioni sono molto costosi/cari, il calcio in diretta puó essere anche costoso/caro.

Qualche associazione di calcio fa pagare di tra 40 e 50 euro per il biglietto d'ingresso, non sono sicura come le persone possono permettersi di pagarlo!

EEK to the next sentence :shock: Credere ha bisogno del congiuntivo ma anche la frase sembra difficile..forse puoi cambiarla?

Questo é solo la prima parte, ha senso finora?
maelström

Post by maelström »

Queste aziende ["stazioni" is only used for physically broadcasting radio/TV stations] vendono abbonamenti abbastanza cari, ma anche vedere il calcio dal vivo può costare.
Alcune associazioni sportive fanno pagare l'ingresso [allo stadio] tra i 40 e i 90 euro.
Non so proprio come certa gente possa permettersi di pagare [quella cifra]!
Penso che rinuncino a mangiare e bere!
"The game must have carolies"???. Praticare sport, però, è spesso gratuito o comunque non caro.
Prendere a calci una palla [or, more freely: dare due calci ad un pallone] con dei bambini o coi tuoi amici è divertente!
Last edited by maelström on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

I'm sure Steve will offer his gratitude (and tell us what on earth calories have got to do with football!) but I'll say thanks as well Maelstrom.

Looks like I was way off course with my attempts! :roll: :lol: