Learning Italian!

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Sweetcheeks Malone

Learning Italian!

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Mon May 30, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been posted or if I'm posting this in the wrong area! :oops: Simple enough question; for those outside of Italy, how and why did you start learning Italian? :)

Also, have you learned or felt compelled to learn another language?

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon May 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Amy, are you looking for something that is not included in the What are you learning methods thread? Actually I thought there was an earlier thread, but blowed if I can find it.

For my part I started learning Italian after our second holiday in Italy - a week in Tuscany in June 1994. Our first Italian holiday was in September 1990, when we stayed at Cadenabbia, Lago di Como. The totally different way of life simply wowed me, and after returning from our Tuscan holiday I was determined to try and learn the language, something I am still trying to do!! :lol: Learning the language has helped me come to appreciate more fully the Italian way of life, the food, wine, art, architecture, and most of all the lovely people. It has also made me very aware of the dark side about which Toby Jones wrote so compellingly some years back. :)

Sweetcheeks Malone

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Mon May 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Not looking for anything in particular, just interested in everyone's stories! ;)

Did you attend courses or just learn through tapes/books, etc? Did you have anyone to talk to in Italian or did it just come gradually through exposure to the material?

This dark side you speak of intrigues me! :D

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Mon May 30, 2011 11:13 pm

haha ho cominciato ad imparare l'italiano quando avevo cinque o sei anni, a scuola, ma lo odiavo con una passione! Ora penso che non era la lingua, ma invece le insegnante che erano cattive.

Quando ho incominciato la scuola media (high school) vedevo che bella la lingua perche` l'insegnante era buonissima.

Ora, nell'ultimo anno di scuola, ancora studio questa lingua e l'anno prossimo, vorrei imparare lo spagnolo (e russo e indonesiano e latino..... :roll: )
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 pm

:) scusa tazzina, ma a che ti serve il latino se non per consolidare l'italiano e lo spagnolo?
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Sweetcheeks Malone

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 pm

This is my first attempt at an Italian conversation, so advance apologies for the trainwreck that shall ensue but I have to bite the bullet and start somewhere. :oops:

Mio ragazzo sa lo spagnolo! :D Ho cominciato ad lo spagnolo quando avevo dodici anni a scuola per due anni.

Voglio imparare il russo anche. Perché indonesiano?

And, -Luca-, I am amused by your Skype name. :lol:

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 pm

eheheheheheh funny, isn't it?
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

Sweetcheeks Malone

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Mon May 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Especially funny because I can tell it's true. ;)

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 am

Sweetcheeks Malone wrote:Did you attend courses or just learn through tapes/books, etc? Did you have anyone to talk to in Italian or did it just come gradually through exposure to the material?

I went to evening classes for several years - first just social learning, then when that tutor retired I moved on to a GCSE course. I am not very good at learning by myself, preferring the interaction with other people.

Sweetcheeks Malone wrote:This dark side you speak of intrigues me! :D
The dark side really concerns Italian politics and of course the Mafia, of which there are four groups, the Sicilian Mafia, the Camorra of Naples (which is probably now the most powerful - I can recommend Gamorra by Roberto Saviano; there is an English version), the 'Ndrangheta of Calabria and the Sacra Corona Unita of Puglia. Evil organisations, totally corrupt, murderous, and able really to do whatever they like, or so it seems, with consecutive governments turning a blind eye to a lot of it. Saying that, the AntiMafia department has done a very good job in Sicily in reducing the power that the Mafia used to have.

Pietru

Post by Pietru » Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 pm

When I lived in Malta, I learned Italian from watching the television and seeing the immortal cartoons such as "Mazinga Z" and "UFO Robot". I chose not to learn Italian as my 4th language in secondary school, opting for German instead.

In England, I found an evening class that taught Italian, so I studied there. The spending cuts came in, which meant I couldn't do further evening classes since they were cancelled. Recently I saw the improvement in how the Rosetta Stone works and started using that, which is more cost effective than lessons currently, although I miss out a bit on the personal touch.

blanchekz

Post by blanchekz » Tue May 31, 2011 6:03 pm

I study Italian at home by myself, I don't take any classes. I have many books of Italian grammar, I listen to the radio, I like watching Italian movies and series :) In addition, I'm in a relationship with an Italian boy (he works as a teacher of Italian). We've been together for three years, so he helps me a great deal but I'm a bit shy to speak in front of him :)

Sweetcheeks Malone

Post by Sweetcheeks Malone » Tue May 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Thank you all for answering! :D
Peter wrote:I went to evening classes for several years - first just social learning, then when that tutor retired I moved on to a GCSE course. I am not very good at learning by myself, preferring the interaction with other people.
I'm currently doing the social learning bit. For the first few weeks it was a government funded evening class but when the funds were cut, we decided to continue independently. We have a nice little group, just a tad inconsistant! :P
Peter wrote:The dark side really concerns Italian politics and of course the Mafia, of which there are four groups, the Sicilian Mafia, the Camorra of Naples (which is probably now the most powerful - I can recommend Gamorra by Roberto Saviano; there is an English version), the 'Ndrangheta of Calabria and the Sacra Corona Unita of Puglia. Evil organisations, totally corrupt, murderous, and able really to do whatever they like, or so it seems, with consecutive governments turning a blind eye to a lot of it. Saying that, the AntiMafia department has done a very good job in Sicily in reducing the power that the Mafia used to have.
I shall have to look for that book (though I'm currently wading through, The Crimson Petal and the White!). I've heard of 'the mafia' of course, as has everyone, but this sounds more like a set of street gangs battling it out. :shock: I'll have to start watching The Sopranos. :P

Pietru wrote:When I lived in Malta, I learned Italian from watching the television and seeing the immortal cartoons such as "Mazinga Z" and "UFO Robot". I chose not to learn Italian as my 4th language in secondary school, opting for German instead.

In England, I found an evening class that taught Italian, so I studied there. The spending cuts came in, which meant I couldn't do further evening classes since they were cancelled. Recently I saw the improvement in how the Rosetta Stone works and started using that, which is more cost effective than lessons currently, although I miss out a bit on the personal touch.
Is there a lot of Italian television in Malta? I considered Rosetta Stone but I tend to lack motivation after a while if I'm not actually using or talking about the language with others, which is why I stopped learning Russian. I'm very impressed by your range of languages, though! :D

blanchekz wrote:I study Italian at home by myself, I don't take any classes. I have many books of Italian grammar, I listen to the radio, I like watching Italian movies and series :) In addition, I'm in a relationship with an Italian boy (he works as a teacher of Italian). We've been together for three years, so he helps me a great deal but I'm a bit shy to speak in front of him :)
Which Italian movies do you like? I've only seen La Vita é Bella and Io Non Ho Paura. :oops: And you shouldn't be so shy! :P

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup » Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 pm

-Luca- wrote::) scusa tazzina, ma a che ti serve il latino se non per consolidare l'italiano e lo spagnolo?
Sì, è vero, ma potrò leggere parole vecchie scritte in latino. Per esempio, sui monumenti in Italia! :)

E abbiamo appena finito i nostri studi su "io non ho paura". Abbiamo letto il libro in classe e poi abbiamo visto il film.... all'inizio, quando vediamo Filippo per la prima volta, tutta la mia classe ha urlato così forte!! :shock: Anch'io avevo paura di Filippo!! :oops: E tu? Che schifo... :?

Ma è davvero un bel film. :D (però, mi piace il libro più)
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Amy, I can assure you that the various Mafia gangs are nothing like the street gangs of this country. Indeed I would not call any of the four different sets of mafiosi street gangs; they are much, much more than that, with power that reaches way beyond Italy's borders. Read Gamorra and you will see just how evil the Camorra is. I read the Italian version, and while I did not understand all of it, I understood enough to make my blood run cold. It is difficult sometimes to appreciate just how evil some people can be.
Last edited by Peter on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pietru

Post by Pietru » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Sweetcheeks Malone wrote: Is there a lot of Italian television in Malta? I considered Rosetta Stone but I tend to lack motivation after a while if I'm not actually using or talking about the language with others, which is why I stopped learning Russian. I'm very impressed by your range of languages, though! :D
I am actually bilingual, with some knowledge of a few other languages. Were I to have completed my schooling in Malta, I may have had an option of learning Russian as a 5th language.

Virtually all of the Italian stations available in Malta. Malta is within the transmitter range of most Italian television stations.