Vocab issues -_-

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Hack

Vocab issues -_-

Post by Hack » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:37 am

Ive got all the Definite articles, Indefinite articles, etc. down pat, but I dont hardly know ANY Italian words! So I was hoping someone might know a good way to learn all the vocab and such. :)

-Hack

Artrella

Re: Vocab issues -_-

Post by Artrella » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:09 am

Hack wrote:Ive got all the Definite articles, Indefinite articles, etc. down pat, but I dont hardly know ANY Italian words! So I was hoping someone might know a good way to learn all the vocab and such. :)

-Hack

Ciao Hack!

I think that the best way of acquiring new vocabulary is by reading short stories, maybe some article in a newspaper, something that includes everyday language and expressions, and then look up the new words, and try to use them in your everyday speech. Then another way is by chatting with Italian people, little by little you'll acquire the most used words and you'll be able to enlarge your vocabulary as well as your ability of making sentences and short paragraphs.

Good luck! :D
“Chiunque può sbagliare: ma nessuno, se non è sciocco, persevera nell’errore”. (Cicerone)
Per favore, correggete i miei errori !

Hack

Post by Hack » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:34 am

Thanks. Ill do that. :wink:

Roby

Post by Roby » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:08 am

Hack,
Welcome to the forum .

As for learning the vocabulary, join in the word of the day---parola del giorno; and word association---Parola dell'associazione posts.

Purchase a good Italian/ English Dictionary

Read the post Italian Resources. There you will find a lot of helpful resources . There is also a post on vocabulary. Take a look.

Feel free to write in English. Try to write in Italian if you want. Everyone here will help you. Start asking questions and soon your vocabulary will grow.

Roby

Hack

Post by Hack » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:16 am

Thanks. Appreciate the help.
Feel free to add my Yahoo. Linux1406@yahoo.com[/green]

Please correct me on any incorrect italian, in private.[/red]

Luthier

Post by Luthier » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:06 am

I'm in the same boat. That is, trying to build my vocabulary. What I've done is this. I've purchased a notebook and begun to record a bunch of common words with their italian translation. Colors, numbers, body parts, days of the week, months, household items, work items, clothing, tools, places, relatives, animals etc. I'm still building my list, but looking them up and writing them helps me. I then use them/practice them while I drive or during other down time. It'll take some time, but in a few months I should have a pretty good base of common words.

I've have just begun a list of verbs to learn as well.

Ciao

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Luthier wrote:I'm in the same boat. That is, trying to build my vocabulary. What I've done is this. I've purchased a notebook and begun to record a bunch of common words with their italian translation. Colors, numbers, body parts, days of the week, months, household items, work items, clothing, tools, places, relatives, animals etc. I'm still building my list, but looking them up and writing them helps me. I then use them/practice them while I drive or during other down time. It'll take some time, but in a few months I should have a pretty good base of common words.

I've have just begun a list of verbs to learn as well.

Ciao
This is a good trick! I did this too when I first started, and I used it to start the foundation for my web site too.

Here's another trick along those same lines, but I warn you -- it's kind of silly. :)

A good way to learn vocabulary is to get a bunch of note cards.
Take a room in your house, say the kitchen.
Label all the items in the kitchen with a notecard with the word in English. If you know the Italian word, then write it on the back of the English-side of the card. If you don't know what the English word means in Italian, look it up and then write it on the back. (be sure to use definite and indefinite articles so that you can practice)

Then take all the cards with the Italian side up (so you can't see the answer in English), shuffle them good, and then affix the card to the right item and see how many you get right. This works well for nouns (and possible adjectives too, if you want to get technical and say the white refrigerator and such things).

You can do this with any room, place or object.

It's kind of silly, but associating a word with a picture or a physical object will help you remember it better.

disegno

Post by disegno » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:45 am

It is hard sometimes to learn random words that don't pertain to you or your daily life. To increase your vocab, therefore, I suggest writing some short simple stories, emails (or posts here). You will quickly discover the words that you personally commonly use and that you need to add to your "arsenal" of Italian vocab.

Keep a list of those words and start learning them using flash cards or by simple repetition. I find that word association works great for me, the sillier the better to remember. For instance...to remember "cane" (dog) think of a soda can sitting on a dog's head or for "Fifone" (coward) think of the fifer at the back of the army playing his flute too scared to fight.
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

Rolly

Vocab issues -_-

Post by Rolly » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:28 am

Great Hints from all of you.
One other that you might consider is direct association.
See, touch, hear or even just think of something and then give its name directly without going via your mothertongue. Do this as often as you can during your normal activities.
Do this even to the degree of making your mental reminders in the language you wish to learn.
If you habitually use language to clarify thinking (AKA talking to yourself!), do it in the new language. You will get some funny looks, especially from native speakers, surprised at how eloquently their grammar can be mangled!!(remember you are only a learner!) :roll: :oops: :lol:
The idea is to bypass the 'language translation' process and to directly associate things with the appropriate words or expressions.
One danger I found in this method is in its use in long term "total immersion". One can begin to forget ones own language and end up talking the greatest gobbligook you can possibly imagine when you do eventually return home!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :?:
It is, though, the way in which we all learned to use language in the first instance and really does consolidate concepts and ideas.
And in the development of language the concept came first, then the sound, and then, eventually, a way of writing it down.

Hope this helps.

Rolly