newspaper/news web site

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
keithatengagedthinking

newspaper/news web site

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:17 pm

I found this cool site today:

http://ilrestodelcarlino.quotidiano.net/

Looks like it combines three papers into one on a web site.

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Here is a site where you can find most the Italian newspapers

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/italy.htm
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

fbnag

Post by fbnag » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi

Speaking of newspapers... I'm trying to read news in italian everyday for an hour or so. I don't completely catch all the words or phrases but i spend time to understand and observe how the newspapers talk about certain things.

Since I'm only a beginner, do you think that i am wasting my time and should be concentrating on exercises and such instead of spending a couple of hours trying to read newspapers?

Or should i just be reading children's books? :)

disegno

Post by disegno » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:17 pm

By all means! Read the newspapers...or anything that catches your interest. You are bound to retain more and learn more when you are doing something that interests you. It is very good to read something you don't fully understand...you can get a good idea of what is being said by the context. Also, it helps to prepare yourself for Italian conversation when you are in Italy. You are no doubt going to be in situations where natives are rapidly speaking to you and if you don't develop good skills to pick up what they are saying from the context you are missing an important learning step.

Also, a tip...make a short list of interesting words that you don't know from reading the newspapers. Practice them every day, make flash cards and review your growing list on a weekly basis. I have even started recording myself saying my list of vocab words and listening to myself say the words on my ipod. This provides a whole new learning process moving beyond from just recognizing the word visually, but also recognizing the word by auditory means.

I would also try following some Italian TV or movies to get your ear familiar with the sound of the language. Again you may not catch everything, but you still are training yourself.

Buoni studi! Divertiti!
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

fbnag

Post by fbnag » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Thank you for the encouragement! I will continue to do so.
disegno wrote: Also, a tip...make a short list of interesting words that you don't know from reading the newspapers. Practice them every day, make flash cards and review your growing list on a weekly basis. I have even started recording myself saying my list of vocab words and listening to myself say the words on my ipod. This provides a whole new learning process moving beyond from just recognizing the word visually, but also recognizing the word by auditory means.
I am already doing that. The list is growing too long... nothing to do about it :) I'll try the recording technique as well.
disegno wrote: I would also try following some Italian TV or movies to get your ear familiar with the sound of the language. Again you may not catch everything, but you still are training yourself.
I was just going to say that. Perhaps something with Italian subtitles may work even better for me at this point. I'm downloading a couple of Italian TV series.

Any shows you can recommend?

Grazie mille!

A presto.

disegno

Post by disegno » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Oh, you better not ask me about Italian TV shows...Rossella shudders when she hears that I am hooked on Italian soaps. (Un posto al sole, Agrodolce, Orgoglio) On the RAI Click site you might try Provaci Ancora Prof (pretty easy to understand), Donna Detective...poke around and see which appeal to you and if the accents are too strong, or the dialogue too fast, try another!
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

ROSSELLA

Post by ROSSELLA » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 am

Melissa sai che a parte "un posto al sole" (che comunque mi fa inorridire :D) gli altri titoli che hai citato non li ho mai sentiti? ma sono produzioni recenti?
Anzichè guardare soap e fiction italiane che hanno per protagonisti pessimi attori prendete in considerazione l'idea di guardare film che vi piacciono e serial tv come Navy NCIS, CSI, Happy Days, Chips etc... doppiati in italiano.
I doppiaggi sono davvero fatti benissimo e parlati da attori che hanno studiato dizione italiana, li trovo molto più comprensibili di soap nostrane infarcite di frasi a cadenza dialettale...