Ciao a tutti

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!

Anyone hear of lowell?

yes
No votes
no
100%

Total votes: 2

shadowangel613

Ciao a tutti

Post by shadowangel613 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:34 am

I'm a complete beginner at this and I seriously need help. My teacher is nice and all but she goes so fast I CANNOT keep up. Her tests are super hard and I'm getting F's left and right. I joined this site hoping that maybe I would be able to improve. So anyways....Mi chiamo Alicia. That's about all I know. Don't yell at me for all my bad grammar and stuff cause again, I'm a beginner..

TrentinaNE

Post by TrentinaNE » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:25 pm

Ciao, Alicia. Benvenuta alla Bacheca. :)

At what level are you studying Italian (i.e., high school, university, other)? How are the other students in your course coping with your teacher's pace? Have you spoken to her about the difficulties you are having? As a former educator myself, I think it's important for teachers to have useful feedback from their students. :wink:

At any rate, this is a great place to get additional help.

In bocca al lupo! (Good luck!)

Elisabetta
(Le correzioni sono sempre ben accette!)

giro

Post by giro » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:32 pm

I favor a combination of Pimsleur and Living Language Ultimate Italian from Random House. Get them on CD and load them onto your iPod. There are internet places that sell the Pimsleur series very cheaply and then buy it back from you. The living language set is only about $75, and you could resell that. The green and white Webster's New World Italian dictionary is a bargain at about $9, much better than nearly all other dictionaries. The very best dictionary is the Rizzoli Larousse Grande Dizionario on CD, but you cannot use it on a computer with Service Pack 2, which means any Windows computer connected to the internet. Bowles Teach Yourself Basic Italian Grammer (not Teach Yoursel Basic Italian -- A different book) is also under $10 and very good for beginners. There are many attractively-packaged Italian language instruction books and courses available that I have tried and found to be worthless.
Per piacere, correggete i miei errori in italiano. Grazie mille in anticipo.

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:46 am

Ciao Alicia, e benvenuta tra di noi! :D

Getting started can be challenging. Feel free to jump in and practice with us.....we promise not to yell at you for your grammar, or anything else for that matter. :lol:

For starters....

Sei di origine italiana?
Sei mai stata in Italia?
Qual'e' il tuo cibo preferito?

A presto!

Mindy

P.S. I'm not sure I understand your poll question....do you mean Lowell as in Lowell, Massachusetts?

Elisa

Post by Elisa » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:17 am

Ciao Alicia e benvenuta!
Elisa :)

metehan

Ciao

Post by metehan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 pm

Ciao Alicia e benvenuta...

Linux

Post by Linux » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:23 pm

Caio Shadow angel.

Learning a new language and being forced to take tests on it is a drag. I went through the same ordeal with spanish (which isnt nearly as hard but still) I would start ordering CD's and look over some Italian dictionarys every know and then. If you want to master the vocab, its pretty easy to write down common words and study them (on the way to school, at lunch, etc) makes it a heck load easier.

Hope this helps!

Ciao
Linux
-I am slowly learning Italian, If I make a mistake, do me a favor and correct me privatly
Vengance flows in my veins, i hearby void your warranty and send you back to God!

shadowangel613

Post by shadowangel613 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:08 pm

i meant lowell high school. and thanks for the advice everyone. and i'm studying italian course in high school. my teacher says first semester is the hardest and i'm trying my best to keep up with everything. i think everyone is having as hard of a time as me except for one student who is italian.

Roby

Post by Roby » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:14 pm

shadowangel613 wrote:i meant lowell high school. and thanks for the advice everyone. and i'm studying italian course in high school. my teacher says first semester is the hardest and i'm trying my best to keep up with everything. i think everyone is having as hard of a time as me except for one student who is italian.
Alicia,

Welcome to the forum. We are glad that you are here. We will be glad to help you. Just post your questions under Vocabulario e grammatica and they will be answered.
Does your teacher speak in English or Italian when she is teaching the class?
Learning a foreign language is not and easy task for everyone so hang in there. Ask questions in class if you do not understand. I am sure the teacher will help you.
If you need help, you can always ask your questions here.

Remember to use the vocabulary that you have learned in class for your homework. Write simple sentences. I am sure this is what your teacher wants you to do.
There are some responses to your post about the sentence structure in Italian so take a look.

Good Luck!

Roby