Buon giorno a tutti

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
georgina

Buon giorno a tutti

Post by georgina » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are English speaking people living in an English speaking country.

We both went to Italy in our late 20s for a year for studies and learnt Italian.

We now have a 17 month old baby daughter and wish to teach her Italian. Il mio Italiano e' meno di perfetto pero vogliamo fare "one person one language" and I get to speak the Italian. Most times I am lost for words or for the right tense etc.

Amazingly our baby seems to understand both languages and if I ask her 'vuoi fare il bagno' she'll say 'bath'; or 'vuoi mangiare' she'll say 'eat'. We started speaking in English at first.

I don't want to teach her wrong things, so I've come here to get help and I'll disturb everyone a lot. Please think of my little precious Italian speaking baby and help me :P

We intend to send her to an Italian school when she's between the ages of 3 and 5. To perfect her grammer and language.

Grazie mille

Georgina.

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Benvenuta Georgina!

You will certainly find plenty of help here, the forum members have infinite patience and are a really friendly bunch.

ladybird :)
Life is for living and learning.

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Hello Giorgina and welcome to this forum. As Ladybird wrote, we're here to help you anytime.
I've heard that the BBC Muzzy course is really good, maybe you should try that.
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm

Welcome Giorgina!

I would check out the local bookstores for learning material for children. Check out this website. www.unilibro.it or this one www.amazon.com

Roby

Mindy

Re: Buon giorno a tutti

Post by Mindy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:14 am

Ciao Georgina e benvenuta! :D I can relate to what a challenge it is to raise a bi-lingual child! My husband is a native Italian, and I speak fairly well, but our children are surrounded by English every day and it is difficult to compete. They both understand nearly everything, but they have a lot of trouble expressing complex thoughts in Italian. It will be even more of a challenge for you as a non-native speaker, but it seems like you're doing all the right things - and that's great that your daughter already understands Italian words and phrases! What kind of Italian school will you be sending her to?

Hope to hear more from you! I'll be so interested to hear about your daughter's progress. In bocca al lupo! :wink:

Mindy

georgina

Post by georgina » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 am

Ciao tutti,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. There is now so much to look at and learn and I am pretty excited.

Mindy _ I intend to send my baby to scuola materna _ an international school. Do you use any language system at home?

Please a quick question:

When my daughter wants out of her high chair, cot etc or just wants to be carried, I taught her to say 'carry' or 'carry me'. Now that I'm switching to Italian, I now tell her 'portami' . Is that correct? Is there a better baby-friendly word/phrase I could use :?: .

Grazie.

georgina

Post by georgina » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:03 am

Hi again,
Just realised I was supposed to post my :?: in the grammer section. Sorry about that :oops:

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:51 am

Prendimi in braccio, would be the correct sentence.
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

Roby

Post by Roby » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:45 pm

Massimo wrote:Prendimi in braccio, would be the correct sentence.
From Elisa
As for Georgina's question I'd say:

Mamma prendimi in braccio
un' altra cosa nuova....Grazie amici
Roby

disegno

Post by disegno » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Ciao Giorgina! Benvenuta da mia parte! Ho notato che gli amici italiani, vicino a me, che cercano di crescere i bambini bilingui hanno tanti problemi, come Mindy ha detto, perché loro sentono inglese tutta la volta in scuola. Però quando loro vanno in italia per le vacanze estivi con i genitori, i bambini fanno un grand salto con la lingua. Ogni volta che loro ritornono a casa, parlano meglio di prima. È importante avere l'esperienza di immersione per capire e parlare bene. Forse avrai più successo mandare la bimba alla scuola materna. Sembra un'idea bellissima! (':wink:') Ciao! Melissa
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

georgina

Post by georgina » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi ragazzi,

You are very correct Melissa, We visited Milan for a couple of days last month and i could see my baby was very pleased to hear other people speak to her in a Language that I was using.

I can't wait to send her off to the Scuola Materna, but they only start taking from 2 and a half years (she's now 18 months); So I'm trying to do all I can by myself first :wink:

leenico

Post by leenico » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:09 am

Hello Giorgina and welcome to this forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here. Lee
Il cuore dello stupido è nella sua bocca, ma la bocca del saggio è nel suo cuore.